Thread: Warming up for high-rep sets.

Warming up for high-rep sets.

I thought I'd ask around and see what other people do/recommend when warming up for sets of 12-20+ reps. I'm trying to make sure I'm sufficiently warmed up without depleting too much energy.

Here's what I might do for squats one day:

bar x 3
    95 x 3
    115 x 3
    135 x 3
    155 x 15

I use triples to warm up and increase the weight 20 lbs at a time. What do you folks do?

Thanks.

Is 155 your work set? If so it looks alright. If what you listed is just your warmup then your last sat has far too many reps. I'm guessing the 155 is your workset though...?

For squats... well here, I'll give you yesterdays whole squat session:
    135x8
    185x4
    185x2
    225x2
    255x2
    225x6.5

But I also do that a little more unkosher than the average squatter.

Yeah. 155 was the workset.

You might could actuall ygain significant benefit by warming up to a high rep set with 1-2 reps of significantly more weigh. Also, I would do more reps at the lightest weights.:

bar x 10
    95 x 6
    115 x 3
    135 x 3
    165 x 1
    185 x 1
    155 x 15

3:16
    i would trian it like miximaster
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    I thought I'd ask around and see what other people do/recommend when warming up for sets of 12-20+ reps. I'm trying to make sure I'm sufficiently warmed up without depleting too much energy.
    For sets that you can get 12-20 reps with, I'd say all the warmup you need is enough cardio before you start lifting to break a good sweat and warm you up.

Doing a light warmup set before a light set of 12-20 reps is a waste of time IMHO. Unless you have a specific injury you're looking to avoid aggravating, I wouldn't bother. Generally, I use sets of 12-20 reps to warm up for heavy sets of 6 or fewer reps...

if you have the time, I guess there's not too much harm in all kinds of warmup sets but I can't be bothered to muck around adding 5lbs here and 10lbs here through a number of warmup sets especially for a light, long set.

At most, I'd recommend a single quick warmup set.

For your example with the working weight at 155, a quick set of 10 at 100 or so would be enough to warm up, I should think. Myself, for instance, I typically warm up on squats with 10x225 or so, which is enough weight to make me work a bit at it, but it's basically 2/3 or less of what I plan to squat later on in the workout.
    Last edited by Relentless; 02-03-2004 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    For sets that you can get 12-20 reps with, I'd say all the warmup you need is enough cardio before you start lifting to break a good sweat and warm you up.

Doing a light warmup set before a light set of 12-20 reps is a waste of time IMHO. Unless you have a specific injury you're looking to avoid aggravating, I wouldn't bother. Generally, I use sets of 12-20 reps to warm up for heavy sets of 6 or fewer reps...

if you have the time, I guess there's not too much harm in all kinds of warmup sets but I can't be bothered to muck around adding 5lbs here and 10lbs here through a number of warmup sets especially for a light, long set.

At most, I'd recommend a single quick warmup set.

For your example with the working weight at 155, a quick set of 10 at 100 or so would be enough to warm up, I should think. Myself, for instance, I typically warm up on squats with 10x225 or so, which is enough weight to make me work a bit at it, but it's basically 2/3 or less of what I plan to squat later on in the workout.
    yup quality advice. The first few reps of a high rep set, serves as a warm-up. Mike Mentzer always banged on about this in his writing
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    yup quality advice. The first few reps of a high rep set, serves as a warm-up. Mike Mentzer always banged on about this in his writing
    :withstupi
    Last edited by Bruise Brubaker; 02-03-2004 at 02:49 PM.

In any case, I think it would probably be a good idea to get your heart rate up before you begin the set. Whether cardio or a progressive warmup, I think it should be done. Unless you're a crazy Russian dude who thinks everything should be done cold to get you ready to fight special forces at a moments notice.

With high rep sets, it's only the last five or so reps that count, so I've always looked at the preceding reps as the warm-up.

Hey thanks everybody!

I'll try doing less warmups and see what happens.

Cal, I'm doing breathing squats, which aren't exactly as light as the high reps would have you believe.

(Nash, your idea is intriguing, too. I'll definitely try that sometime.)