The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

what to expect from squats and deadlifts

These are two exercises I have always made it a point to stay away from because of fear that they would put too much stress on my backbone. However, after reading the WBB routine, I decided to give it a try. My main problem however is determining how much weight to use. It seems I can always do more, it just hurts more later. That is wierd for me because I am used to doing the absolute best I can bench pressing and not wondering for the next couple of days if the soar feeling I have is healthy or not. Anyway I am on my second week for this routine and these are the numbers I have had in the squat, hack squats, deadlifts and straight dead lifts.
    1st week:
    deadlift 135lbs(10 times) 135lbs (10 times)
    squats 135 (10 times) 175 (10 times)
    hack squats 175(10 times) 195 (10 times)
    straight leg Deadlifts 135 (15 times) 185 (9 times)
    2nd week (so far):
    deadlift 185 (10 times) 185 (10 times)
    squats 225 (8 times) 225 (6 times)
    hack squats 225 (10 times) 225 (10 times)
    straight leg deadlifts 225 (10 times) 225 (10 times)

I feel ok today (wed). I did the squats,hack squats and straight leg dead lifts on monday. I am still a little soar but not drastically, I almost feel normal. But on monday after I was done, I felt like I could barely hold myself up. Still I felt like I could have done more, atleast on the hack squats, that I got 10 reps in for each set. The question are, do you all go for the gold when doing your squatting exercises? Do you try to do the most weight you possibly can for 6 repetitions? And ofcourse the same questions for the deadlifts and the straight leg deadlift.
    thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

IF you're using proper form, squats and deadlifts are great. I go for as much weight as I can on those two especially and get good reps out of it. If I miss a rep, I stop immediately.

Have someone who knows (a trainer preferably) take a look at your form to make sure you are doing them properly.

Also, if you're just feeling very sore the day of and the day or two after working out, you're probably fine. If the soreness lasts for a longer time, or if it becomes painful, then you may have a problem.

Key to these two exercises (and all exercises) is to get the proper form. Squatting especially is difficult to learn the correct form. My suggestion is to do a search on it here and see what everyone's tips are for squatting. (Arched back, deep breath, push abs out, chest out shoulders back, sit back and don't lean forward, just to name some quick tips). Then lower the weight down to something very manageable, 95lbs is good, and concentrate on form only. Once you're comfortable with your form, then you can increase the weights.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    I found when I first got back into Deadlifts my back felt really sore, and its a weird kind of soreness. Its hard to stand up straight and putting the weight back after is killer. After I did the exercise for 2 or 3 weeks in a row though it feels normal again now. No big amount of soreness even if I do a lot more weight than when I started. If you really hurt your back on them, trust me you'd know it. Otherwise just chaulk it up to soreness, even if it feels weird.

As for Squats, they've never hurt my back or anything, just left me with some pretty useless legs.

SLDLs shouldn't work your back if you're doing them right. They used to be really hard on my lower back, but once I got the form down I felt them only in my hammies.

I try to use as much weight as I can handle for 6-8 reps in all of these exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by wibble
    SLDLs shouldn't work your back if you're doing them right. They used to be really hard on my lower back, but once I got the form down I felt them only in my hammies.
    I disagree, to a point. I perform my SLDLs with full back flexion (they're Straight-Backed, straight-legged DLs otherwise), and they're a wonderful hams/back/glutes exercise that way. Possibly one of the best exercises to keep your lower back healthy other than reverse hypers.

ditto what scott said. SLDL's are very close to good mornings and hypers and reverse hypers which are both good for your lower back/hams/glutes...

Also I prefer front weight, ass to floor squats to the typical squats. Its easier to get the form right, less stress on lower back and you use lighter weights so if there is a problem it would never be that big a deal.

As an aside....I have started doing isolation movements FIRST to pre-exhaust my quads...
    Leg Extensions (total isolation)
    Walking Lunges (partial isolation)
    Front, ATF squats...by this point my quads are so blasted that they can be completely destroyed without putting undo stress on knees/back etc... Just my style....