The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: cardio routine

cardio routine

questions:

1) is it better to do intervals of low and high intensity cardio or just full out all you got for the whole time

AND

2) is inline skating and swimming an acceptable form of cardio exercise? if not then i just won't do it, cause i hate running hehe, plus i won't do it hardcore and nothing's worth doing if you don't do it hardcore.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Intervel training actually burns more calories...umm...here's a good link that explains it:

Fartlek

and yes..inline skating and swimming are acceptable. actually swimming is one of the best aerobic exercise you can do, IMO.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Ya, swimming is one of the best, but it is one of the hardest; a lot harder than running in my opinion.

Actually, intervals don't burn more calories. At least not during the session.

What intervals do is A) burn more fat in the given time period and B) adapt the body to burn more fat at rest.

Both are good things, and combined with the muscle-sparing effect, the reason that BB's and strength athletes should preferably do intervals over endurance cardio.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Not quite, PM.

Interval training uses less fat as a percentage of energy than low intensity, but burns far more calories per unit time, thus burning more fat (and glucose).

Not sure about adapting to burn more fat at rest, other than the fact that interval training will deplete glycogen stores, and force the body to use more fat as fuel.

I do prefer intervals over endurance cardio for fat loss, but like endurance cardio for CV health/fitness... I'd suggest doing both.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Do either of them work better in building up the heart muscle?

Ah you see, i've been doing both and didn't even realise the blah blah written above...

I do 10-15 minutes interval sprinting on the runner followed by about 20-30 minutes on the stepper at an increasing intensity.

how ace am i!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    You're the acest, CD

Oh...was that a rhetorical question? Please accept my apologies...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Originally posted by Paul Stagg

Not sure about adapting to burn more fat at rest, other than the fact that interval training will deplete glycogen stores, and force the body to use more fat as fuel.
    That's the idea-- when it depletes those glycogen stores and starts using fat, the body increases levels of lipolytic and fat-metabolizing enzymes. Also, you have the benefit of more mitochondria and such. The higher resting BMR combined with the other factors does cause greater fat loss even at rest. As odd as it sounds, you get the benefits of endurance training from anaerobic exercise.

Interestingly, for CV fitness, intervals are actually better for increasing max VO2 than endurance work.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by IceRgrrl
    You're the acest, CD

Yup.

Oh...was that a rhetorical question? Please accept my apologies...

I'll let it slide this time, just don't let it happen again...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by PowerManDL

Interestingly, for CV fitness, intervals are actually better for increasing max VO2 than endurance work.
    I didn't know that. Good info.

I hate endurance cardio.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.