The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

i can't straighten my arms

i worked out biceps, triceps, and shoulders on friday, and they're still so sore that i can't even straighten them. like i'll hang my arms by my sides, and they're bent slightly, not straight. the muscles are still very tense and hurt like crazy.

is this normal? i couldn't even get out of my car, sit up in bed or open a jar lid without excruciating effort and pain.

edit: i mean the elbow joint area. i can't straighten that part... anyways it's pretty weird anyone else experience this after a hard biceps/tricep workoutt?
    Last edited by ReturnedFire; 02-15-2004 at 07:53 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    What other part of the arm bends?

Yeah you're fine. Get big enough and you won't be able to bend your arms. It happens.

i agree wit budiak, and i had the same feelin in my chest a while back, i could not reach across my body and touch the opposite shoulder because i was so sore and i even had to miss the next chest workout which was a week away...i guess its just a sign that you worked out ur arms hardcore...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

I just try to work out a little light if I come back from a 2 month rest period or so. If I go full intensity Im so sore the whole week I cant move too much. But after that I just try to eat real good and get enough protein everyday plus a good amount after a workout so Im not too messed up the next day.

If you think this is going to be a problem, you should start giving serious thought to a stretching regimen.

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    Stretch. The bicep and forearm are what's limiting the ROM (range of motion), so sit on a incline bench with the back almost all the way up. Get a couple of 20# dumbbells and hold them by your sides for a few minutes. This will stretch the bicep out. For forearms, hold your arms palm up and push your fingers against a table or wall.

If you want to be athletic, I would follow Budiak's advice and start stretching. They even have stretching classes. I do about 10-15 minutes of stretching after every cardio workout, which is 3x per week. It works wonders.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

i tried stretching and it feels better. i think i'm just super sore cuz it was the first time lifting in a while.

Good advice about stretching.

I also massage the affected areas afterwards too to futher stimulate blood flow.

Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Good advice about stretching.

I also massage the affected areas afterwards too to futher stimulate blood flow.
    Stretch first, and also this seems like you haven't lifted in a while and then after some time you decided to go balls out, that's the results you get, heh. I had the same problem.
    self improvement is masturbation.. maybe self destruction is the answer - space monkey.

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antek
    Stretch first, and also this seems like you haven't lifted in a while and then after some time you decided to go balls out, that's the results you get, heh. I had the same problem.
    I've read that stretching first can hinder your strength, which is why most people recommend warming up before lifting, not stretching. But you should stretch afterwards.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

Stretching is overrated.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Just one last rep!
    Don't stretch before working out. I do slight stretching during the workout after well warmed up but mainly after. A little stretching the fallowing hours and day will make all the difference. Also do some light lifting on off days to keep the blood flowing and the muscles loose. Like if you're doing chest and tris one day do a couple of sets of 15 light weight curls to get them warmed up and then stretch good.

If you need to know why,(to my knowledge) stretching tears the muscles in a fashion similar to exertion, so it sort of mimics weight lifting and may impede performance to a degree. I never found that it hurt a workout. I often stretch between sets, etc...I never found a problem with it.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, that happened to me when i returned to lifting after a long time. Lasted about a week. Absolutely excruating pain, couldn't straighten my arms at all. It took about 30 seconds of effort to stretch my arms all the way out and when I woke up in the morning I felt like something was going to snap or break trying to get them straight again. Fun !

Eat More Protein After Workouts!

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Stretching is overrated.
    I agree for the most part.

However, if I don't stretch out my calves, they cramp up really bad when I do any calf lifts. This is the only time I stretch before lifiting.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I do dynamic stretches before I lift unless I'm going over 10 reps on the lift (then I do static stretches).

I think just about everyone gets sore when they do exercises that are new or that they haven't done in awhile. Since you took some time off everything is new.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Stretching is overrated.

bingo

tomorrow will be one week, and the pain is essentially gone. my triceps are still sore though.

i guess it was the shock of working out after a long time. but my arms definitely grew a tad this week!