The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squatting..Knee Problem

when i squat, my knees really heart. it feels like the patella is rubbing against something. is this because i'm to boney?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    your knees hurting could come from the stance you have, whats yours like?

when I first started squatting the trainers at my college told me that you never want your knees to be more forward than your toes....I dunnoo...

Wannabebig Member
    I've noticed this also...also when I do deadlifts...since not doing them is not an option, I started moving my feet a little...I found that if my toes are pointed at all my knees will hurt...if I point my toes exactly straight...No worries...good luck!

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    well, when I FIRST started doing squats and deads I noticed some minor knee aches, but they went away after two weeks. check your form and start out light.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn
    check your form and start out light.
    Good advice from teh Minnesota M0053
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Just one last rep!
    Hello,
    I've had knee problems before. I had to ditch doing full squats with a bar because the angle of my knee just caused all kinds of patella problems. Once my knee joint gets much past 90 degrees things start to hurt. Now I use a smith machine and place my feet about a foot forward and kind of lean back a bit when going down. Also I started using heavy weights on the leg press. I also do dead lifts with feet outside of hands sumo style. I also totally quit running. I do eliptical and uphill fast walking. The running impact was the start of the problem for me many years ago.

Like was previously mentioned slight changes in foot placement or angle at which your legs point will solve the problem 90% of the time. Different types of bars also let your spine be more upright so you don't have to lean over as much.

You might also try ice after the workout. I know it has helped me in the past. You're going to be sitting anyway after your leg workout so just put a couple of bags of frozen peas on your knees and you'll feel much better the next day.

Good Luck!!!

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    when I first started squatting the trainers at my college told me that you never want your knees to be more forward than your toes....I dunnoo...

yes this keeps the stress off of the patella tendon, keep your knees back behind your toes and pratice sitting back in the squat. helps my knees a ton, i can feel my knee cringe on even a light set if they drift to far forward, but as long as i sit back they are fine
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

start light? i'm just doing bodyweight squats!! =.P

Quote Originally Posted by KkKk
    start light? i'm just doing bodyweight squats!! =.P
    Uhhhhh... Yeah I'd probably check your form... there was a thread awhile ago about how far to go into deep squats, with the conclusion basically being that your hamstrings and calves can/should *touch*, but going farther than that is a pretty sure way to wreck your knees (although not with bodyweight, at least not for me, I sit like this a lot of the time...). The importance of keeping stress on your quads at the bottom was mentioned, as was the importance of not bouncing... oh hell, you know where the search button is, I don't recall the name of the thread though.
    Most likely it's probably that your knees are coming forward too far.
    Last edited by RickTheDestroyer; 02-17-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Squatting below parallel is very hard/bad for your hip and knee joints. This is coming from a physiotherapist. A lot of brick layers get hip and knee replacements, because the nature of the work requires them to squat with a heavy load of bricks.
    Some people have a predisposed weakness in their patella tendons and that's the reason their knees hurt after squatting. Try wrapping your knees with stretch bandages and icing them after squating. That will prevent tendonitis.

I don't post much but here's my 2c. I had the same problem after following the "don't let your knees go in front of your toes" rule. But then I read up on the squat here:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...FullSquat.html

A point of interest is the "squat analysis" link. It explains the mechanics of the squat pretty well and it even suggests that it is normal for the knees to go forward as much as your hips go backward.

This helped me out a lot. I now can do three 10x205# sets without any pain in my knees. I started light so that I can progressively strengthen the connective tissues around the knee joints.
    You are only as strong as your weakest link...

http://www.protraineronline.com/past/nov03/robert.cfm
    Robert Libertine Starr PhD
    Big Sky Strength & Conditioning Group

Myths of the squat. Squatting below parallel is dangerous to your knees. After thirty five years of squatting I can tell you for a fact, if you do not squat below parallel you will shorten up the flexibility of your knee joint and you will injure yourself eventually. Far too often I have seen people pile on the weight and do a half knee bend and that’s just not going to cut it. Make sure that you warm up first and feel that your are ready. Squatting is like going to war you must attack it!
    http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredknee.htm
    Frederick C. Hatfield, Ph.D., MSS
    International Sports Science Association

Partial Squats: Contrary to popular belief, squatting above the parallel position -- knees at approximately 90 degrees flexion -- is actually more dangerous that going to parallel or below. There are two reasons for this. When you look at the structure of the knee, you’ll note that at about 90 degrees flexion, the tibia’s sloped shape allows it to shear upwards and over the femur. This causes a lot of compressive force against the patella, and pulls forcefully against the posterior cruciate ligament. These potentially destructive forces become significantly less as you descend further into the squat postion, largely due to the fact that the tibia’s surface isn’t as sloped posteriorly, where it articulates with the femur. The second reason is that, because of better leverage while doing partials, you’re obliged to use a far heavier weight in order to gain any sort of adaptive overload on the muscles involved -- dangerous to the entire shoulder girdle, neck, low back and knees.
    I found a zillion other articles in full suppport of ATF (ass to floor) squats and not a single one against it
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 02-17-2004 at 11:09 AM.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I have on study that everyone uses againt ATF squats... They are hard :P hehe.
    w00t

Wannabebig Member
    You guys can believe who you want. I will listen to my orthopaedic surgeon and his physiotherapist.
    I went to pt and saw enough people with total knee replacements. That's one thing I never want to go through. And it does not happen from just walking.
    That's what prompted my asking questions. And I was told that it's mostly brick layers. If you have ever seen them work, they have this thing attached to their back that they load a pile of bricks on. Thann, they get up an go, like squating.
    I've had one knee surgery and don't want to have any more. It made me realize how important your knees are.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh and leg extensions are even worse! I am forbidden from doing them for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by GonePostal
    I have on study that everyone uses againt ATF squats... They are hard :P hehe.
    If lifting weights was easy, then everyone would do it.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee