Thread: Ab experts, please help!!

Wannabebig Member

Ab experts, please help!!

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster here...this seems like a very informative place, so I thought I'd ask you guys a question...

First off let me give you a little background info on myself. I am a 22 year old male from Canada, over the past two years of lifting weights, alot of cardio and diet I've managed to go from 250 lbs. to around 175-180. I should also mention that I'm 6'2'', which has always hide my weight well, I was thought of as a "big guy" not fat, but I guess I was...

The problem is since I started working out I've wanted abs, I've read more about developing them than you can imagine...I know you can do crunches til you arer blue in the face but as long as there is some fat tissue there they cant be seen, what is the percentage of body fat when they show, 10%?? I work my abs out 2-3 times a week, and also jog 7 1/2 miles once or twice a week and play just about every sport for extra exercise, but I still have the flat, Allen Iverson-like stomach(at one time that would of been enough) but NO ABS

So what am I to do? My fat intake is VERY low, which leads people to believe that I'm "fading away" or too skinny, which I do not think is true but I gotta admit that my face is becoming a little gaunt...Am I doing something wrong here or should I just be a little more patient and keep it up?

Thanks, sorry for the rambling folks

Bigger fewl
    Use heavy weight that you can do for only 4-15 reps. Do full situps or leg raises, forget crunches. You can't spot reduce fat, meaning exercising a muscle won't take fat off of that muscle, its a whole body at once thing. Make sure your liftin heavy weights for everything else to, muscle burns calories.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks alot man...I've been lifting pretty light or average weights but about a month ago I increased them and plan on keeping increasing all the time...

So I'm assuming you have the nice six pack that I so desire?

Devastatingly Hardcore KryptoAllez's Avatar

Re: Ab experts, please help!!

Originally posted by PrimeTime
    The problem is since I started working out I've wanted abs, I've read more about developing them than you can imagine...I know you can do crunches til you arer blue in the face but as long as there is some fat tissue there they cant be seen, what is the percentage of body fat when they show, 10%?? I work my abs out 2-3 times a week, and also jog 7 1/2 miles once or twice a week and play just about every sport for extra exercise, but I still have the flat, Allen Iverson-like stomach(at one time that would of been enough) but NO ABS

So what am I to do? My fat intake is VERY low, which leads people to believe that I'm "fading away" or too skinny, which I do not think is true but I gotta admit that my face is becoming a little gaunt...Am I doing something wrong here or should I just be a little more patient and keep it up?

Thanks, sorry for the rambling folks
    As far as the body fat percentage is concerned, it really varies with your genetics but usually you can't see a guy's six pack until you get into the single digits in body fat. I am an odd case cause my body fat isn't as low as it is for most females whose abs are visible, yet mine still show.

It concerns me when you say your fat intake is very low. Do me a favor and post your diet cause contrary to what society has led you to believe, going on a low fat diet is not necessarily going to help you lose body fat. And in the case with dieting and the body, you have to tweak your diet every so often or your body will adapt to it and you will stop losing fat. And it also concerns me when you say your face is looking "gaunt". Let me know what your diet is like and I may be able to help.

And as far as ab exercises go, weighted is good, it will help to build up the ab muscles so that they show well when the fat starts coming off. Just do different ab exercises, they all have their benefits. I personally use many different types especially if I've been using the same ones for a while and I feel like my muscles have gotten used to it. Hope this helps. I can let you know some of the different ab exercises I do if you like.
    Train Hard Or Go Home

Bigger fewl
    Lol no, I'm bulking. Having a 6-pack is about having low bodyfat, which is not my goal right now. I work with weight that I can only do 1-8 reps with, as my goal is strength. For size, 4-15 is a good rep range. Move up the weight every week, and once you're ripped, you should have abs that stick out like cinnibuns =).

Carpe diem

Don't forget the crunches. They target the abdominal wall as directly as it can be targeted.

That said, a good ab routine would focus on all the movements the abs (not just the rectus abdominus) are capable of: spinal flexion (crunches), torso rotation (Russian twists), and lateral extension (side bends).

I don't like situps because they bring too much of the hip flexors into play. If you want compound movements to work the abs, do deads or squats. Situps take too much stress off the abdominal wall, and thusly aren't as effective as the crunch.

As far as spot reduction, that is a myth. But developing the muscle underneath will never hurt when the body fat is lost.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Bigger fewl
    Not true at all power. Are you aware that to do a situp you first have to do a crunch?

Your abs are working HARD at their top contraction just to keep you from bending backwards during a situp. While deadlifts and squats are great compounds for abs, it would be better to also have more direct stimulation, and a simple crunch just isn't enough IMO.

This has worked much better for me from personal experience.

Carpe diem

Do them both, and see which targets the ab wall better.

Note that I didn't say the harder exercise, but the one that targets the abdominal wall.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

lying pullovers hit the abs too as far as compounds go. or maybe that's just me.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

If you want to get that technical; digging a hole in the dirt hits my abs as well.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks everyone for posting your thoughts, from what I hear you still think I will lose more weight off my stomach? I've been pretty consistent at 175 lbs. right now with a 30" waist, which once was 38"...That is not too small is it?

Depends on how tall you are I guess. I'm walking with a 31" waist at 5'7"; somewhere around there.
    Last edited by syntekz; 09-26-2001 at 10:33 AM.

You will never see your abs unless you cut a little carbohydrathes if you lower your fat intake it does not mean anything , carbs should sway down quite a bit especially those that are not complex

Not necessarily; lowering your overall caloric intake(dieting) is what will lower your BF%; which causes your abs to become visible.

Also some foods will make it more difficult to cut such as milk, cottage cheese and so on....... milk makes me feel bloated so does pasta ...

Bigger fewl
    Who cares what they make you feel like. That doesn't have anything to do with how visible you're abs are. It wouldn't matter wether you got the calories from milk or broccoli, unless you take into account the energy you spend to chew lol. If you get the same ammount of calories from 2 different foods, you'll still get the same ammount fatter.

Carpe diem

Originally posted by DaChickenShowYo
    If you get the same ammount of calories from 2 different foods, you'll still get the same ammount fatter.
    Do you believe that to be true when taking into account foods that are High GI foods vs. Low GI foods, etc.?

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    Good point MuscleA!

Some foods also simply require more work(energy) for the body to ingest. Mixing foods also change things. There is more variables to a diet than just kcals.

Bigger fewl
    Generally it won't make a huge difference.

Carpe diem

Maybe not huge, but definately significant.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 09-27-2001 at 05:16 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Another question for you people: How far away am I from a six pack if when I lie down and feel my stomach I can feel all the definition of my ab muscles but yet I cannot see them?

My feeling is that you can only do so much in one day to get them it just takes time, correct?

Summer is my definite goal for a six pack...the way I see it if I lose another 3-5 pounds of fat off my tummy it will make a huge difference!
    Last edited by PrimeTime; 09-27-2001 at 06:51 AM.

If you are planning on having a six-pack for summer. You have PLENTY of time.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah I know, that's the great thing...chances are up here in Canada there wont be alot of time to show the washboards for awhile...I basically think that I will keep doing what I have always done like jogging, lifting weights, basketball, football, etc. to lose 8" of my waist and use the all that time as an ally!

DA CHICKEN SHOW YOu are very mistaken to think that milk and cottege cheese is good to take while dieting......tuttut if thats what you are meaning! AND there is a relation with what you feel and with what it is actually. IF i give you a hard kick in your balls would you feel it? Can it do damage ? tuttut

Bigger fewl
    Hey, guess what? That analogy has nothing to do with anything.

I never said milk and cottage cheese were good for dieting.
    Last edited by DaChickenShowYo; 09-27-2001 at 02:53 PM.

Carpe diem