The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Plate type muscles

Is there anyway to work muscles to help induce that plate type look. Im talking about say for your chest, some guys have like square blocks that jut out as if theyve straight extrusions. My chest is mainly made up of muscle near the bottom and it tappers of toward the shoulder. I realises that decreasing bodyfat will help reduce the roundedness apperance of the muscle but is there anything else that can be done?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Plastic surgery.

I guess higher reps/lower weight would give you leaner longer muscles. That might work.

I think the plate look you refer to is (to a certain extent) a relationship between the size of your muscles and bf

the larger the muscle the higher your bf can be to achieve the look
    and the smaller the muscle the lower the bf

this holds true to definition in other muscle groups as well...

i agree its basically all a matter of the size of the muscle in relation to the amount of body fat that gives you definition...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    the shape of your muscles is purely genetic, nothing changes the shape but your genes, the only thing you can do is increase the size of your muscles
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    I guess higher reps/lower weight would give you leaner longer muscles. That might work.

Higher reps/lower weight would increase muscle endurance, not make his muscles longer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75
    the shape of your muscles is purely genetic, nothing changes the shape but your genes, the only thing you can do is increase the size of your muscles
    Right on.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Genetics

Quote Originally Posted by rp41

Higher reps/lower weight would increase muscle endurance, not make his muscles longer.

Is that really true? I've been doing this for quite a while and always considered myself pretty well knowledged in weight lifting etc and I always always thought/read/was told or whatever that high rep/low weight was for longer type muscles and higher weight/lower rep was for bulkier/taller muscles. Like most women would do high rep/low weight for this reason and guys would do both.

That's not entirerly true. Lower reps do create a different type of hypertrophy as do higher reps but you won't lengthen a muscle by doing more reps.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 02-19-2004 at 06:36 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    Is that really true? I've been doing this for quite a while and always considered myself pretty well knowledged in weight lifting etc and I always always thought/read/was told or whatever that high rep/low weight was for longer type muscles and higher weight/lower rep was for bulkier/taller muscles. Like most women would do high rep/low weight for this reason and guys would do both.

Its all a matter of who you're talking to really...

My anatomy teacher is a genius and says what you're saying, but many others that have cited other studies say what the other guy was saying.

Your teacher (no offense) is not a genius with that belief.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

yea, women *think* that by doing higher reps they will *tone* their muscles, but the truth is that even if they did lower reps with higher weight, they dont produce enough test to bulk up. Muscles hypertrophy or atrophy......they dont really change their shape, only in appearance they may look different bc of size changes.
    Think of it like this, when you are lifting weights concentrically, your muscles are contracting (getting smaller), so how can they lengthen, whether you are doing high or low reps.

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Your teacher (no offense) is not a genius with that belief.

And no offense by making the assumption you're making, you don't have a leg to stand on.

There's no real absolute proof either way, get it?

...and yes the man is a genius because even though he's been teaching 25yrs he's still far more up to date and with it than most in the field and dwarves most others in intelligence.

and for the record I was talking more in terms of hitting the muscle at different angles and different spots in general to produce different results. Many say because of the insertion points and the way muscles are constructed that you hit a muscle as a whole and can't cater to specific angles. And also the controversy whether or not you can hit slow twitch or fast twitch fibers differently just by doing more or less reps.
    Last edited by ianack4life; 02-19-2004 at 09:07 PM.

And no offense by making the assumption you're making, you don't have a leg to stand on. There's no real absolute proof either way, get it?
    *** It's like I insulted your mom or something, chill out. As for my assumption, I feel that based upon my experience and knowledge what I said is valid. I really do not need to prove myself as it is up to your prof to do that as he is going against what physiology states.

...and yes the man is a genius because even though he's been teaching 25yrs he's still far more up to date and with it than most in the field and dwarves most others in intelligence.
    *** How long has your prof been weight training for and what exactly has he done in terms of achievements in the gym that make him a genius?

and for the record I was talking more in terms of hitting the muscle at different angles and different spots in general to produce different results. Many say because of the insertion points and the way muscles are constructed that you hit a muscle as a whole and can't cater to specific angles. And also the controversy whether or not you can hit slow twitch or fast twitch fibers differently just by doing more or less reps.
    *** Well then, you should have said that. In your last post you really didn't say much except state that your prof believes that it's possible to lengthen a muscle and that high reps make a muscle taller and wider etc..
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    My anatomy teacher is a genius and says what you're saying, but many others that have cited other studies say what the other guy was saying.
    Can you explain what your teacher bases his conclusion on? What is his side of the argument?
    thx
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

MACHINE
    There is no argument. You simply cannot change the shape of a muscle, only the size.

That is all
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

There are more studies out there based on poor test scenarios and common bodybuilding myths, that to simply say he's kept up to date on his studies really doesn't mean anything.

People can read all the bogus studies they want, go train and eat well and still have great results. It's simply a matter of could they have worked smarter and achieved even greater results with other methods, or gotten to where they are with less, albeit smarter work.

So in bodybuilding terms, the proof isn't always in the pudding.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 02-20-2004 at 08:00 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I saw a study once that said that by training a certain way, a group of 7 men got the middle of their triceps to grow.

A number of people interpreted that to mean that you could have localised growth within a muscle. Most of those people couldn't begin to tell you what was wrong with the study.

It was only 7 people. They were not randomly selected. The training stimulus was (as I recal) electronic. What the hell is the 'middle' of the tricep.

That's just the stuff I remember off the top of my head.

Physiology isn't a belief system.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    What the hell is the 'middle' of the tricep.
    LOL.

Professor Hu Suk Lo Says "Its the small part of the tri right above the elbow before the other 2 parts split toward your shoulder."

I'm just kidding. I really have no idea.
    Last edited by AllUp; 02-20-2004 at 10:18 AM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"