The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Training several days in a row??

A while back I read a thread that said training more than two days in a row was bad because your nervous system couldn't handle it. I have been very careful to make sure I have a rest day in between each day of my 4 day routine each week.

But I have seen some people post their rountine as something like this

Mon: Chest/Tri
    Tues: Back/Bi
    Weds: Legs
    Thurs: Shoulders/Abs
    Friday: Cardio
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

That is four days training in a row.... and I thought that was a bad thing.....

So my question is, is the above theory BS? Is it ok to train however many days in a row you want as long as you have some rest on the weekend?

What is the deal with this?

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

WannaBeBigToo
    I try and keep it 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off.
    If you wish to speak with me, email me at encino "@" telus . net

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 190lbs
    Waist: 32"
    Chest: 50"
    Arms: 17 1/4"

I don't see anything wrong w/ lifting 4 days in a row.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    I don't see anything wrong w/ lifting 4 days in a row.
    i read something about your nervous system couldnt handle it and you wouldnt see gains

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Banned
    there is so much conflicting information out there..i thought four days in a row was bad too

well, maybe it is if you train the exact same muscles every day

As long as u train diffrent muscles each day then im sure its fine.

Wannabebig Member
    Whether it can be done as opposed to whether it should be done is probably a better question to ask. It's all up to the individual and his/her routine and recovery ability. Personally, I can't work anything the day after I do a back or leg workout - I'm too wiped out. However, I'm pushing 30 years old and have been lifting for 11 years. I've already been through the "newbie" stages of lifting. An 18-21 year old kid, still new to lifting, could probably pull it off for a while before gains start slowing or reversing.

It depends.

You *can* train every day. You cna train 12 times each week. It all depends on your goals, how you train, etc, etc, etc.

In general, for a bodybuilder, I would suggest training no more than 2 days in a row. The reason is for systemic recovery. Certainly lots of people do just fine training 4 or 5 days straight. Expreiment, and see how it works for you.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Well said, Paul.

If you train to failure on every set and attempt a bunch of max lifts for 4 days in a row, then it'll be quite taxing on the CNS.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

I would imagine that as long as theres no routine/split conflicts(i.e working the same bodypart as the previous day) there should be no problem. The above split looks fine.
    Last edited by AllUp; 02-19-2004 at 02:28 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

The CNS works differently than that. Its more fatigue for a certain exercise than really anything else. As long as you aren't testing your bench 1RM day after day, you'll be fine, where the CNS is concerned.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Considering the weekly microcycle is important, but don't let that distract you from longer period cycles of training, rest and recovery. I think they're probably more important in the long run.

I was "training" pretty hard almost 6 days a week for a month and a half, either lifting of climbing, and it finally caught up with me this week. Sheer exhaustion, lack of motivation, lack of recovery etc. So, I'm not lifting this week. Just listen to your body, and rest when necessary -- it's silly to stick to a schedule you fixed 2 months ago when you're tired now.

Damn 9.5 hours of sleep last night and I'm still tired. Though perhaps it has more to do with the 7 beers and 2lbs of mussels and cream sauce.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 02-19-2004 at 03:26 PM.

As of the last 8 or 9 months I've been going 4-6 days a week and on off days I'll throw in short cardio sessions. Before that I did a little bit less work, but I haven't really noticed any differences as far as how my CNS is feeling.

I think the question you're asking really is, "how often is too often?" Like most have said, it is the recovery of the CNS that holds you back when you lift everyday. 4 days on is not a bad thing, but when you start to notice an increase in your recovery times I would switch splits.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off works well for me.

Mostly based around my schedule.

For the past month or two, I have been training 7 times during the 5 weekdays and resting on weekends. I've had great progress. As Will said, CNS is more of a movement based system, where you will adapt or stagnate on a specific movement if you are continuously working near one rep max percentages.

I think that it would be more like Paul said, where your recovery could suffer because there are too many musclegroups recovering at once and competing for bodily resources, so you COULD shortchange yourself if you don't eat enough.

I'd say you'll start experiencing joint pains first, which may meditate a need to take some time off, as I am now. That's why periodization can work wonders if you go into a lighter rep phase for a few weeks.

I don't think 4 days in a row is a stretch though, unless you are doing high volume with a lot of maxing out mixed in there.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer