Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap protein!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    It costs them money to market, package, and inventory the ****.

You can get bulk protein from proteinfactory or Proteincustomizer. Many companies sell bulk protein, and not just small tubs. Bulk protein is a market niche.

Its not a useless byproduct. Its a source of revenue. If they didnt sell it directly to consumers they would sell it en masse to producers. Land O Lakes is a HUGE dairy company, I wouldnt doubt that a good number of protein brands we buy have Land O Lakes protein in them. Companies like this never throw anything away if they can make a dollar off of it, especially something as obviously profitable as whey protein.

yes, thats what i want to hear, but i called and they said "i dont have the information with me, ill have one of my supervisors call u bacK"...lol

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Budiak
    But it makes MORE sense to sell it market standard rates and make tons more profit
    what is the market standard rate for 150lb bag of pure WPC?

I couldn't think of a better way of saying this

like flax oil is 5 times cheaper in a bottle than in capsules by the same company

so do you think they are cutting it with something else, or its has a bad texture, or what? how is wpc inferior to other wpc?

alright, i received the email i was hoping for, here it is;

"This is pure whey protein concentrate directly from the dairy manufacturer. There are no other ingredients at all - no*sweeteners, additives etc., in this product. The protein is packaged in 33.1 pound bags by the dairy manufacturer and shipped directly to you from the most recently manufcatured lot.

Thanks for your interest.
    Larry"
    Last edited by frankm007; 02-24-2004 at 05:40 PM.

i am ordering my 33lb bag next week!

Looks like a good deal, but how are you guys planning on storing it? Is the bag it comes in re-sealable?
    My Journal

First Bulk Complete:
    September 16, 2003 (165 lbs, ~12% bf) -> March 7, 2004 (198 lbs. ~13% bf)

Current Status: Cutting

yes it does, plus i have a few buckets i can fill up.

Frank, before you ask you want to figure out what % it is!
    Whey Protein Concentrates come in three protein concentration levels 34%, 50% and 80%. We sell only the highest protein concentration the 80% protein Whey Protein Concentrate without additives. Whey Protein is also available as Whey Protein Isolate (90% Protein).

Regular Sweet Dairy Whey is 12% Protein. It is concentrated into the powder form by taking the water out of liquid whey.

Some companies sell this whey as concentrated whey protein, it is not it is just pure dairy whey with the water removed. Many companies blend this with whey protein concentrate to lower the cost of their whey protein. We do not recommend it as a protein supplement as it is only 12% protein.
    http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_resu...hParamTxt=4165
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 02-25-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Wannabebig Member chrisconnell85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    my quick (rough) math shows that this stuff has
    385g of protein per pound....

1 pound (453.6 grams) of whey protein (80%) contains 362.88 grams protein per pound.
    1 pound (453.6 grams) of whey protein (90%) contains 408.24 grams protein per pound.
    The best prices I have found is www.allthewhey.com

10 pounds of whey for 37.99 with Chocolate, Strawberry, Unflavored and Vanilla!

Just ordered some for the first time last week. I live here in Canada and I still think it's a great deal....

The problem with this stuff is that it's unflavored...I have never tried unflavored whey and I don't think I would get used to it.

That's the cheapest prices I have found. Oh ya and they will match any WHEY price and beat it by 10%
    Last edited by chrisconnell85; 02-25-2004 at 12:18 AM.

i just looked, but it has less servings...

allthewhey 10lbs protein comes in 2 5lb containers each containing 80 servings...
    so,

80x2=160 servings in 10lbs x 3 = 480 servings for 33lbs -> nutrabiotics 33.1lbs = 577 servings

more servings for ur money, still cheaper

serving size means nothing....one company thinks a serving is 20g of protein, another thinks 55 is appropriate...that shouldn't be a measure of anything....

ya gotta measure g of protein/lb

pure WPC
    1 pound proteinfactory.com = 347.76 g protein = $3.82
    1 pound bulkfoods.com = 362.88 g protein = $3.73
    1 pound nutrabio.com = 383.82 g protein = $3.60

WPC/Isolate blend
    1 pound allthewhey.com = 351.38 g protein = $3.80

pure Isolate
    1 pound bulkfoods.com = 408.24 g protein = $6.32
    1 pound (CFM) proteinfactory.com = 408.24 g protein = $8.85
    1 pound (iso-chill) proteinfactory.com = 423.36 g protein = $6.50

1) Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS)
    2) Protein/Efficiency Ratio(PER)
    3) Biological Value (BV)
    4) Protein Digestibility %(PD)
    WPC_____________________ 1.00___ 3.6___ 104___ 95
    Whole Egg________________ 1.00___ 3.8___ 100___ 98
    Casein____________________ 1.00___ 2.9___ 77___ 99
    Soy Protein Concentrate_____ 0.99___ 2.2___ 74___ 95
    Beef______________________ 0.92___ 2.9___ 80___ 98
    Wheat Gluten______________ 0.25___ 0.34___ 54___ 91
    http://www.allthewhey.com/compare.ht...tosteron-51620

BV (Biological Value). This is quite an old measure, and using this different flavours of whey protein (concentrates and isolates) can score well over 100, which at one time was the highest possible score for a protein! Basically what BV tells us is the percentage of protein that your body has absorbed from the amount of protein you ingested (% of absorbed Nitrogen retained in the body). This gives an indication of how much of the protein that is consumed actually remains within the body to promote protein synthesis.

Secondly we have NPU (Net Protein Utilisation). NPU, is the ratio of amino acids converted in to proteins, compared to the ratio of amino acids supplied throughout the day. NPU is a useful index for evaluating both digestive and metabolic protein utilization, this figure is somewhat affected by the salvage of essential amino acids within the body, but is profoundly affected by the level of limiting amino acids within the food that you have ingested. What I mean by limiting amino acid is, any amino acid which is classed as an essential amino acid, i.e. one that cannot be manufactured in the body from scratch.

Thirdly we have PER (Protein Efficiency Ratio), this has now been replaced by a more effective measure called PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Amino Acid Score).

PDCAAS was developed by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to compare the quality of different proteins based on amino acid requirements necessary for humans. A protein receives the highest value (1.0) by containing all the essential amino acids required by our bodies. The idea is that all the protein needs of your body will be met, if your diet provides you with enough of the essential amino acids. It first scores a protein based on its amino acid content and then adjusts it to account for the food's digestibility. Corrections for digestibility of protein are applied to give a protein-quality rating such that's much closer to reality for human metabolism.

The PDCAAS is based on the amino acid needs of children ages 2-5, since this is the group that needs the greatest amount of amino acid consumption. By using a 2-5 year old child's needs as a base, it is assured to exceed the amino acid needs of everyone since your needs decrease as you get older

Now you have a brief knowledge of the most popular protein quality measures, that is what they are and what they measure. So the next time you buy a tub of protein, are you going to get clever and start quoting PDCAAS values etc?? Well what I suggest is to forget all these fancy values, and simply look at the contents!! We already know that Whey protein is a complete protein, and will score well on all of these measures!! So do we just stick with plain old whey protein? No chance - we want to go one step further and make it even better!! The best protein powders will have a variety of protein sources. This ensures that you get a wider amino acid spectrum, and hence more complete proteins, it also helps supply your body with a steady supply of aminos, compared to most whey proteins that give you a massive influx of aminos (known as anabolic proteins) most of which will be oxidised and not used in protein synthesis. Hence combining whey protein (or any other proteins for that matter) with other proteins, such as egg white and micellular caseins, you are creating a designer protein far superior to any one single protein source.
    http://www.british-bodybuilding.co.u..._Powders.shtml
    did I ever mention that I have way to much free time? :alcoholic
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 02-25-2004 at 08:40 AM.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    See, I dont know. We'll just have to wait until the ginuea pigs here get their orders and try the stuff out.

im getting nutrabios... and im getting allwhey...just ordered 5lbs of whey from allwhey..lets see

Quote Originally Posted by frankm007
    im getting nutrabios and allwhey...lets see
    What will you be looking for?

Geoff, I am sorry I have forgotten to post the breakdown, I will get it up ASAP.

Let me try to explain more fully what I mean by "quality". There are many aspects, but here are a few:

1) Taste: unflavored products obviously leave something to be desired here
    2) Mixability: I have bought less expesive whey powders and found them to have horrible mixing qualities. The preparation of the protein and added ingredients influences this quality. Cheap proteins will most often not mix well.
    3) Percent protein per serving: Nitrean is 80% protein per serving. Many of the cheaper products fall far short of that number.

There are other qualities, but I think I have made my point. Spend your money in the way you see fit. When I spend my money I want to get the best bang for my buck. I don't think you will do so by buying the product you have mentioned.

I KNOW you will by buying my products.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

hey chris, would love to know that breakdown!
    I know in a few months I'll be looking for some new protein powder and knowing the breakdown might influence my decision away from other products that I know the breakdown of!
    THanks!

Wannabebig Member
    I think there is something we are all missing. Dr. Phil brought up the idea of getting calcium caseinate from a local dairy at a bargain. That is what I plan on looking for now.

That will likely prove much cheaper than any whey product imo. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Part of the reason I posted this was to see if anyone had an online source for cheap casein. I am sure the idea that it can be purchased directly from a dairy at bargain prices is muffled a lot by supplement companies. I am glad such threads as this exist.

I will find a cheaper source of milk protein!

protein customizer sells it for around $6 bucks a lb

it was cheaper till some fookers decided it was good shiat now its higher
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

The other white meat.
    There are 50lb bags on ebay for around 95.00 Same stuff.

did anyone order this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    I think there is something we are all missing. Dr. Phil brought up the idea of getting calcium caseinate from a local dairy at a bargain. That is what I plan on looking for now.

That will likely prove much cheaper than any whey product imo. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Part of the reason I posted this was to see if anyone had an online source for cheap casein. I am sure the idea that it can be purchased directly from a dairy at bargain prices is muffled by a lot by supplement companies.
    I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that you will ever find casein cheaper than whey...casein in bulk or in fancy packages is always more expensive than whey. But please let us know if you find anything that shows different

I'd be worried about my year long supply of protein being in a bag. I like a sealable plastic jug .

With allthewhey.com, there are "blends" and "isolates". Isn't isolate the better alternative? Also, about the powdered milk a ways back in this thread, about 80% of milk protein is cassein, and only like 20% is whey. Its a different type of protein. Cassein is slow, Whey is fast, is, what i perceive most people say.
    "Color outside the lines"

Wannabebig Member
    I haven't found anything locally. One place to look for calcium caseinate might be chemical companies, again trying to find a good bulk deal.

Best suggestion I have seen to date comes from lyle's site. He uses whey mixed with psyillium or other fiber as needed to slow the digestion and give it an effect closer to casein.

BSL's deal of 50lbs for 145 and five free flavor packets gets my vote for the best I have seen to date. That will likely be my next purchase. If I did the math right that comes out to 100 grams actual protein for about 80 cents give or take. Good enough for me.

-C