The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Problem with dead lifts

I have been doing this WBB#1 routine for about 5 or 6 weeks. I have noticed improvement every on every workout out day from the previous week except for a 2 or 3 exercises. Maybe its because I was noticeably stronger 8 months ago. I had to stop lifting for 6 months because of an injury to my right hand. In any case I was pretty happy with the way results, except I didn't like the 2 day break. To fix that I have decided to make it a 6 day repeat cycle by eliminating a break day. Ok that is all great but my problem is the deadlift. I had never done this exercise before 6 weeks ago. I started it really light the first week (135 Lbs.) and progressed it every week after that. Last week I did 2 sets of 225 for 8 repititions each and felt like it was a good work out. So today I started it with 245 I did it 3 times,but before my back or legs could feel they got any type of work out both my hands just gave out with the grip. I then went to 235 and did it for 5 reps and again both my hands gave out on the grip. I went for another set with 235 and again did it 5 times with both hands giving out on the grip. I then had grip issues with the barbell rows using 175 @ 6 reps up from last week 165 for 8 reps. Then I went to shoulder shrugs and did 175 just like last week only this time I didn't have the grip to hold it for the full 10 reps and I end up dropping it and instantly picking it right back up 3 times until I got my full 10 shrugs. I know they sell these gloves with a grip thing that you can wrap around the bar but I am concernced as to what is wrong with the grip in my hands. I don't have small hands as a matter of fact I have proportionally very large hands (XL gloves that fit quite snug and I am only 5'9"). I know the injury in my right hand screwed my grip a bit. But I felt like both hands were giving out on me, not just my right hand. Is this a normal thing in the dead lift? Could 20 pounds really make such a difference that suddenly your hand can't grip for sh#$? If so will my grip improve with time just doing the deadlift alone?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Neollagnailati
    You could invest in a pair of wrist straps for the heavy deadlifts and shrugs. Do you feel like your grip might be weak from overtraining as a result of eliminating one of the off days?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianGalleon
    You could invest in a pair of wrist straps for the heavy deadlifts and shrugs. Do you feel like your grip might be weak from overtraining as a result of eliminating one of the off days?
    I don't think that is the case because, the chest was also part of today's work out and I made gains in the flat bench, low incline barbell, and the chin ups. But after the chinups, when I went to the deadlift, the barbell rows and the shrugs, my grip just suddenly became useless.

Do deads first.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Try using a mixed grip rather than just overhand. Also, when you rep, touch the weight to the ground and regrip if necessary. You can also use chalk which should greatly improve the friction between the bar and your hands.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Try using a mixed grip rather than just overhand. Also, when you rep, touch the weight to the ground and regrip if necessary. You can also use chalk which should greatly improve the friction between the bar and your hands.
    The mixed grip is something I have never done but expect should be interesting. I will definately try it next time. I will also try regripping upon touching the ground as well. However this thing about the chalk has me confused as I used leather gloves while performing this exercise. Am I perhaps supposed to be doing deadlifts with no gloves?
    Thanks for your input as well St. Patrick however I work out chest the same day as deadlifts and I am probably more concerned with my numbers on benching than with deadlifts. So I would rather have all my energy for that.
    thanks to everybody else for their input as well

THROW AWAY THE GLOVES. Seriously, they kill your grip. The mixed grip also locks the bar into your hands much better.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I don't think the gloves are going to mess up your grip. I've done them both ways and the only difference is your hands don't get trashed as much when you use gloves. That being said, it's up to you whether you want to use the gloves or not.

Grip style is important. Using a mixed grip is so much better than a standard grip. This will help lots. You should see a pretty dramatic improvement when you switch to mixed grip. Also, doing static holds, dumbell or barbell, will also help.

As far as your other back exercises, since you do deads on the same day as back, I'd suggest straps for the rest of your back exercises. If you go this route, your grip strength is not a factor.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Gloves are for weenies
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Steel,

Drew and MM are correct. I've had exactly the same problem. I'm good to about 225 then I must use a mixed grip. You will see a definitely improvement with a mixed grip. Later, even with a mixed grip, you may need to start using straps or chalk. I've used gloves once, for me the sucked way worse then using your bare hands. Besides, callouses are way

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Bleh, I had a good response typed out before the site screwed up.

In a nutshell I was saying that the first time you use mixed grip it'll feel pretty akward. The first few times I tried it I put the bar right back down, thinking something was wrong, but it just takes a few times to get used to it.

Also, on your heaviest sets, you will achieve the strongest grip by using a supinated (underhand) grip with your weaker arm, and a pronated (overhand) grip with your dominant one.

Gloves will not help you here, get chalk if you want, it can work miracles. Especially on a crappy bar with worn out knurling. I used to have to go searching out the good bars and take them off the flat benches and exchange them with the smooth and somewhat bent bars in the racks.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Also, on your heaviest sets, you will achieve the strongest grip by using a supinated (underhand) grip with your weaker arm, and a pronated (overhand) grip with your dominant one.
    Ditto. First time I tried the alternating grip, I didn't even think twice about how to setup my hands. It came naturally.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Ditto. First time I tried the alternating grip, I didn't even think twice about how to setup my hands. It came naturally.
    Yesterday I did deadlifts and I was quited please with the results. I did the reverse grip. I didn't think about using the reverse grip with the weaker hand but luckily it turned out that way. I did 245 for ten on my first set and for 8 on my second set. Last time I did 245 for 3 on my first set and lost the grip after that. So I am siked but not sure how much weight I will do next time. btw. Ikept the gloves on.

even thought I read all the post, I still can no quite understand how to make the
    "mixed grip" ... I am pretty new at this, so I guess I don't quite get it. Could any body explain it please

wleon

All a mixed grip is, is gripping the bar with one had using an underhand grip, and the other hand using an overhand grip.

Underhand grip is like the grip you use to curl with. So your fingers curl around the bar from underneath, while your other hand wraps around the bar from overtop.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer