The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Powerlifitng for Women

My wife has shown some interest in powerlifting and I was wondering how to setup a routine for a beginner. I'm looking at some very basic stuff. Nothing too fancy. I'd like to get her started on something simple, then if she still is interest, try something a bit more complex.

Anyone have ideas, tips or the like for a female beginner?

She weighs about 170lbs, height is about 5'2".

Current lifts:
    Bench: 2x6@95 (tried 1@115 but failed)
    Deadlift: 1@170
    Squat: No attempt (still a little afraid to do these)
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd do a simple legs/push/pull routine using squat/bench/deadlift as the primary movements until she feels comfortable with all three. Focus on building a solid foundation and then worry about specialized training.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    My wife has shown some interest in powerlifting....
    You are a lucky man!
    5-9 170

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1117
    You are a lucky man!
    Totally. I'm jealous.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Yea well it kinda suprised me. We were benching together today and she was trying for 115 but couldn't do it, which bummed her out a little. 15 minutes later she's telling me she might want to try some bench contest at the Y. It seems this personal trainer at the gym, friend of ours, was impressed with her benching and told her she might want to try to enter this bench contest.

I explained to her that training for powerlifting is different from regualr lifting. She still seemed interest. I hope I can find the time and place for this contest and just have her watch so she gets an idea of what it's like.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Make sure to get her learning the proper plifting form on all the lifts as soon as you can. It can take some time to learn how to bench with a pause, or squat deep enough.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Thanks Elp. I tried to show her a little today with the bench, but she felt a little. uncomfortable. She just wasn't used to the arch, pinching back the shoulders, planting the feet, tucking the arms, etc. It's just something she has to get used to I guess. She's made the decision to join the contest (bench only). The trainer at the gym said he'd train her, which has me a little concerned. He's is a nice guy and taught me some really good form for all the lifts when I really got serious about lifting, but he believes in all the BB myths as well. I don't want to discourage her, but I think at least he can teach her good form. I'll just have to see how her sessions go with him.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Heh, hey caught me by surprise. Never thought she would be interested in anything like that.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

It takes some time to get used to the form on bench, I know I'm still learning to make it a habit. If she were in a proper powerlifting comp though, she'd see how the others do it, and then perhaps that would make it more acceptable, and she'd be more encouraged to learn it.

Although, if it's some gym bench contest, then maybe there won't be any true plifters there for her to learn from, which could only make things harder for her to accept without experiencing it firsthand.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I've heard about the contest but never attended it. Again, I'll have to see what she learns from this guy. Hopefully no bad habits.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals