The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

first powerlifting meet coming up

alright heres the d/l, which is in my journal as well:
    17 years old
    lifting less than 2 mo.s
    and i have my first powerlifting meet in a little less than 2 weeks; saturday march 6. its the nebraska state high school powerlifting champs.

my question is, is it alright for me to kill myself in my workouts this week? the reason is that i wanted to squat 4 plates (405 lbs) one time before i went so i know i could do more than that at the meet. my next squat falls on friday, and i always kill my legs for about a week or so with those. is this smart?

i know that it might not be the most physically positive things i could do, but is it that bad? and i think the psychological effect of me reaching my big goal would just eliminate any physical side effect...

basically what would you powerlifters reccomend, squat big a week before a meet, or save up and do an unknown weight, as the biggest weight i have ever squatted is 380x2?
    Last edited by biggimp; 02-23-2004 at 07:13 PM.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would save myself. If I were you, I would do this for your squats-

1st Attempt- 355. Conservative, yet heavy enough to get you ready for your next attempt.
    2nd Attempt- 390. Shoulnd't be too hard since you can double 10lbs less.
    3rd Attempt- 400-415. Depending on how your second attempt felt, choose your next weight.

My strategy in a meet is-
    1st attempt- somthing easy, just so i get a lift on the board
    2nd- Gym best. Just to match it, and judge from there
    3rd- Go for a PR. Adrenaline can help you get higher numbers than you think.

GOod luck

thanks... i was thinking of something similar to what you posted, only higher on the first attempt. however after thinking about it i like your plan better.

btw nice numbers man
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.

journal

THanks man, but I'm a Bodybuilder, my powerlifting days are gone (along w/ a great deal of strength, haha)

wait..lemme get this straight...you've been weightlifting for less than 2 months your entire life and your squatting 400lb ?!?!?!? holy ****

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

well if you want to get technical i worked out for 4 months consecutively exactly 2 years ago. then from last august to december, i lifted in my garage about 2 times a month. so yeah, 2 months sums it up.
    Rock Quotes:

journal