The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Up at 520 workout at 600am help

I workout in the am
    Up at 520 and hitting the weights at 600am. Normally all i have is a coffee but have been reading that I should have some protein and carb prior to.
    As I have only 40 minutes from awake to workout can anyone recommend what I should have-NATURAL- that is easy to digest and is effective. Honey and Yogurt??/ Thanks for your feedback. And no supplements-Whey etc.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

When you say "workout", do you mean weights or cardio?

A bowl of oats and some protein would be good.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    Weights-HST program

Wannabebig Member
    Eat pasta before you go to bed. In the morning eat toast, eggs, and a meat of your choice. No milk, coffee, orange juice, soda, just water with betagen or creatine in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke1
    Eat pasta before you go to bed. In the morning eat toast, eggs, and a meat of your choice. No milk, coffee, orange juice, soda, just water with betagen or creatine in it.
    What's wrong w/ Milk and Coffee?

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    What's wrong w/ Milk and Coffee?

What about cottage cheese-which is Whey, and orange juice?

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea
    Cottage cheese is great for a protein source. OJ would be okay, but I'd say you're better off w/ some other carbs that aren't quite so sugary.

cottage=casein
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Wannabebig Member
    I suppose the orange juice would be ok.....however it is very sugary. You should save those carbs before you hit the sack; considering your body does insulin maintenance during your sleep, not necessarily builiding muscle....but ordering fuel. When you wake up, drink creatine and literally work your tail off doing core excersises.

this is of course if you want to look better naked, which is my only motivation in weight lifting.

I make a morning shake with egg whites, milk, blueberries (and 1 sccop protein powder). That does it for me in the morning right before my workout.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig Member
    So, there it is, Cottage Cheese and Blueberries???

Banned
    I dont want to hijack this post but Im in the same situation and I have a hard time consuming anything in the morning, can I get away with just some carbs. Im weight training with some light cardio.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I do the same thing. In the morning I try to get some protien and some carbs before I workout. I would try to drink some thing High GI in the morning to refuel your glycogen levels.
    w00t

So, there it is, Cottage Cheese and Blueberries???
    That'll work. Down it with a glass of milk.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I've always taken a bowl of oatmeal with a scoop of Optimum Whey, and be in the gym one hour later. In a few weeks my new job will require me to be in the office at 10:45, so my lazy ass is thinking about cutting the hour down to 30 or so minutes, hope it goes ok.

rum soaked derelict
    I've always herd that sugar pre work out will make it harder to work out. And that what you want to do is have something like pasta or toast before, and sugar after. I’ve also read that there are benefits to having protein before and after a work out. I work out in the AM too and I like to have a protein shake and a bagel in the morning.

I've been in your shoes for about 3 years now. Since I graduated from school...morning is when I have a chance to workout. I have no motivation to hit the gym after I work 9 hours.

I've learned a couple things...the earlier you get your a$$ out of bed...the better. 20 minutes will make all the difference in the world when it comes to the intesity of your workouts. Drag yourself out at 5:00 instead of 5:20. I will seriously help out in a big way. Either set your alarm earlier and hit snooze like you probably do (I do), or just get rid of the snooze bar all together.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of putting a bunch in my stomach before I work out. I find a small bowl of cereal or oatmeal, and a small cup of yogart works well. I stay away from MRP or protein drinks because I don't want them in my stomach as they tend to "weight" me down..I'm sure you know the feeling. After my workout...thats when I hit the protein shake...if I can egg whites, maybe a protein bar, and some more oat meal. One thing that blows my mind about this site. Allbeit, I'm new here.....I haven't seen any talk about WATER!!!!!! Get it in you!

J