Thread: New here, any ideas

Wanna Be Bigger

New here, any ideas

Well, I am 30 years old and I work here with Altered_Ego. He referred me to this site. I have been lifting since I was 18 years old. I have never taking any supplements, never really watched my diet, and never had a routine. I just worked in with others or just lifted weight.

I was working out with Altered_Ego (Andy) the other day and he kept on me. He was telling me how much potential I had but I guess I never really thought about being dedicated too it. I am ready.

If you have a routine, diet, advice, supplements, how much food to take in, anything, just let me know. Here are my stats:

Age 30
    Height 73.5
    Weight 281lbs
    Shoulder 58.75
    Chest 50.5
    Waist 40
    Thighs 29.5
    Knee 18
    Calf 17.825
    Arm 19
    Forearm 15.5

All of these measurements were done being relaxed. No flexing.

Welcome aboard...

Um...OK..this is a pretty vague question...do you have any specific goals in mind? (size, lose fat, strength)....

Wanna Be Bigger
    I would love to lean up a bit. I am not too concerned about my strength, it has always been pretty decent for me. I would love to get around 10-12%bf and add a few more lbs of muscle. Sorry, I should have included that.

Speed up your training-- a la Arthur Jones style. I don't know of any other kind of exercise that can burn off as much fat. By 'speed up' I mean cut out as much rest between all exercises as possible, until you are literally moving from one to the next. It's probably also the hardest way to train. Done right, you'll probably get sick at first, so it's not for everybody.

Or you could add running to your training.

Wanna Be Bigger
    I will add that to my list. Thanks.

Wanna Be Bigger
    How can I figure how many calories, protein, and fat grams I need to be consuming?

Well there is a vast amount of knowledge on this site, I'd suggest sorta getting a general education first, and then maybe worry more about some of the details.

You could start by reading the articles, they are on the main site, wannabebig.com and then after that, you can try using the search engine for some specific topics, or browse through the training and diet forums.

Also, maybe pick 3 or 4 journals of people that have a training regime similar to what you want to try, and follow how they do things, and ask questions in there too.

As for calories, and breakdowns, that's not a fixed answer either. You are 281 lbs right now, so you are a big guy, especially at 6'1". If you wanted to drop weight then you'd probably be looking in the 3000-5000 calorie range. Yeah that's a big range I gave you. It's quite dependent on lean body mass as well, so if you have a high bodyfat percentage, you could probably get away with less calories.

Whatever total calories you decide to try, you can always make adjustments. I'd say try to get 30-40% of those calories from protein if possible, and then maybe split the rest between carbs and healthy fats. If you go higher on the fats it may actually be better for you as well.

I guess that's something of a start, you'd probably be better just searching around the site for a few days at least, and read as much as you can.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

over 3000 seems like a lot of calories for dropping weight. i would recommend keeping it right around 3000 (i hypocritically say this because i don't count calories). Just remember that more small meals is better than few large meals. eat healthy meals 4-5 times a day. eat just until you feel full....not over full or stuffed. as for a workout....i would say do cardio first since you are more concerned about dropping weight than you are strength.
    30-40 minutes of cardio 3 times a week....for weight training i would keep your reps around 8-10 (this is more of a muscle building rather than a strength training range). These are tentative suggestions...everyone is different and you may need to do something totally different, but i thought this may give you a place to start.
    Last edited by Gettin' Big; 02-25-2004 at 08:20 PM.