The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Neollagnailati

This is the public we have to deal with

http://www.ajc.com/health/content/he...04/24body.html

So my hometown newspaper, the major paper in Atlanta, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, decided to publish an article on supplements. They found an "expert" who claimed that creatine may do something, but possibly not, and that anything else-protein powder included- is useless or worse. I also like how they provided no studies to support their claims. I hope everyone enjoys it.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

to be fair I have read some excellent studies recently that question the benefit of protein in building muscle...
    I wish I remember where now so I could post them here!!!

i believe powders are useless.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

you're from Atlanta?

and don't pay any attention to the ajc. they are fluff news, no better than USA today.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

You should write a letter to the editor. They usually publish those, even if they disagree with the initial article.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Supplements are a waste of money. What can you do WITH supplements that you can't do WITHOUT? I think you'll find, after an honest look at the question, that the answer is NOTHING.

i shouldnt say useless, i always have a powder on hand to drink after post workout, and i have a multi vit to take at night if my diet sucked that day. other than that, i believe they are useless. and im positive. i could live without the post workout shake and just eat food.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I get more and probably better protein for each dollar from Whey than from just about any "real" food.

I also don't buy the "protein is useless" theory, based both on personal experience and just about every study I've read.

I wish I could find the Doggcrapp post where he cited all these studies proving that the more protein one took the better his muscle gains (assuming he was training well, of course) up to 4.2x bw (g to lb ... more was never tested, though 4.2x bw was found to be more helpful than less than that), and several others between 2 and 3.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 02-26-2004 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    and im positive. i could live without the post workout shake and just eat food.
    But shakes are way easier and a quick source of protein. Takes about 10 seconds to make a shake. I say protein powder is very useful.

Neollagnailati
    What supplements are there that don't naturally exist in food? Saying you CAN do without them isn't the right question. Sure, I could eat three pounds of red meat every day and get the creatine that I could just from taking a tablespoon of powder. However, I'm in an environment where I don't get to pick what foods I eat, so trying to eat 200g of protein can often be a disgusting enterprise. It's not that they're ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, it's that they're far more convenient.

I think you guys are giving to much credit to protein. There are certain amounts a body needs, but they fall well below what supplement companies would have you believe. And they certainly fall well below these so-called studies that are sponsored by supplement companies.

Neollagnailati
    And what do you base these beliefs on?

This crazy thing called science, I suppose.

What enables you to work harder in the gym, more energy or more protein? Energy, obviously, because protein is a source of energy, as are carbs and fat. They have caloric values. Calories are energy.

So given the obvious, who is going to have a better workout, the guy with a lot of energy or the guy without a lot of energy? The guy with a lot of energy, of course. So who is going to have a better workout, the guy who just ate 400g of protein, or the guy who just at 400g of fat? The guy who ate fat, of course, because he ate 3600 calories while Mr. Protein only ate 1600.

So these two guys both workout. They burn a lot of calories. Let's say they both burned 2000 calories. Does it really make sense to follow up a 400 calorie deficit with a protein shake providing 50g of protein? Aka 200 calories? Or does it make better sense still to go eat 50g of fat? Aka 450 calories? Even Mr. Protein is now out of his deficit, and Mr. Fat is just padding his energy stores.

[Yes it is] unhealthy it is to eat just fat. But my argument is that protein is overrated. And I just showed you why.

-----
    edited to remove un-needed 'duh' comment and words like butthurt
    theres no need to be smug and condescending in posts, people... no matter how smart you think you are.
    Last edited by Relentless; 02-27-2004 at 07:23 AM.

*Worships whey because the ads are nice*

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    The guy who ate 400g of fat would feel very lethargic... How energetic you feel doesn't depend solely on the number of calories!

I do not deny a relationship between how energetic you feel and how efficient the workout is.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Ok, first, things are a bit more complex than the situation put forth by our kind Mr. Fever.

Next, note the term "SUPPLEMENTS". What might that term indicate? Hmmmm, maybe that they are adjuncts, or supplemental to a good diet.

Protein powders can be beneficial for a myriad of reasons. Most reasonable scientists will agree that hard training athletes need more protein than the average Joe.

Many foods which are high in protein are also high in fat. Consumption of excess fats is not a recommended practice. Thus, for the same athlete who is after as much LEAN tissue as possible, the consumption of adequate protein to maximize his progress in training becomes quite difficult from foods alone. The athlete may then decide that a protein supplement is in order.

In addition, protein powders are covenient ways to consume extra protein.

Yes, it is certainly possible to consume adequate protein from diet alone, but that can be a difficult proposition at best for the hard training athlete.

This is especially true as we age. As we age we become less efficient at absorbing nutrients and we require less calories. Thus, as the athlete ages he needs to reduce his total calorie consumption and increase the quantity of certain nutrients in order to maintain peak performance and health. Protein supplements allow this to happen.

There are other reasons, but I think the point is made.

Supplements are concentrated forms of what naturally occurs in foods. That is the point. Consuming certain foodstuffs (vitamins, minerals, macronutrients etc.) in greater quantities can provide ergogenic effects. Supplements allow this to happen without the overconsumption of foods.

This much I know, since I have included certain supplements in my life I am healthier (defined by lower blood pressure, and less illness), stronger, and recover faster from my workouts. Works for me...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Coincidentally, thats how a lot of personal trainers look around here. At my school gym there's a couple that don't look like they lift at all. The guy in the pic is small.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

chris you only say that because you are now an owner of a supplement company!

jk man.

and heath, i agree 100% which is why i only use powder after a workout, im just sayin that it isnt crucial to an exercise regimen.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Neollagnailati
    Thank you, Chris. Are supplements convenient, beneficial, fun? Yes. Essential? Doesn't look like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    chris you only say that because you are now an owner of a supplement company!

jk man.

and heath, i agree 100% which is why i only use powder after a workout, im just sayin that it isnt crucial to an exercise regimen.
    agreed.