Thread: Trouble with deads

Threaded View

Trouble with deads

Alright... my deadlift sucks. Time to fix it. I don't really know where the problem lies. I'm thinking my lowerback is the weak link but I'm not sure. I am pretty sure my form is good (usually stick with sumo deads... easier to hold on to the bar and spares my shins a might bit). Hamstrings may be a bit weak... but I dunno. It's frustrating cuz I squat more than 100lbs over what I can dead... and that's after working on it since june.

Right now I weigh about 165 at 5'6 or 5'7.
    squat: 405 x 4 or 5 (should mean strong glutes and hams)
    dead: 275 x 5 or 6

I usually hit squats early in the week... start off light and work my way up 40 or 50lbs at a time.
    135, 225, 275 x8-10
    315, 365 x6-8
    (405x4-5 when I'm feeling really good... don't lift that heavy too often.)

I usually hit deads about 3 days after squats. I try to do them on a raised platform but at my new gym they're dragging their feet on finding me one. I'll usually throw down a couple plates and stand on those. Anyway deads usually look sumthin like this:
    135, 185x8-10
    225, 275x5-8

I'll throw SLDLs in there every so often either in place of or in addition to regular deads...I am going to try n run them more often, maybe goodmornings and focus on lower back more. I usually get my lower back pretty well, though indirectly, during most workouts anyway so I dunno.

I don't know what else I can give ya to work with really... I know this is pretty vague. Lemme know what's helped and what hasn't in your own lifting.

The only thing I can think of is just keep hitting the deads really.

What advice ice can you boys give me?
    Last edited by Tadger; 09-28-2001 at 01:16 AM.
    "We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected."
    -Henry David Thoreau

"For the last ten years, Saddam has been building, stockpiling and hiding weapons all over the ****in desert, while laughing at the UN. As soon as Bush says, 'That's it we're comin in to kick your ass,' and the UN is inches away from supporting him. Saddam turns around and says, 'Um... United Nations.... sure, we'll let the weapons inspectors in.... no terms or conditions.' The United Nations.... being the left-wing, pansy-ass, limp-wristed, liberal bastards they are, turn around and believe him."
    -Col. Foreman, USAF

email: tadger@wannabebig.com
    secure email: tadger@cyber-rights.net