The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Good routine?

Good routine?

hi , im 16 and looking to bulk, ive been doing the WBB1 routine for about a month, and im looking for a new routine to start in about 2 weeks to change it up. I found this routine ... what do you think?

Monday
    Bench Press: 2 sets x 5 reps
    Weighted Dips: 2 sets x 10 reps
    Skull Crushers: 2 sets x 8 reps
    Calf Raises: 2 sets x 20 reps
    Full Squats: 3 sets x 10 reps

Tuesday
    T-bar Rows: 3 sets x 6 reps
    Dumbbell Shoulder Presses: 2 sets x 6 reps
    Barbell Curls: 3 sets x 8 reps

Thursday
    Bench Press: 2 sets x 8 reps
    Incline Press: 2 sets x 8 reps
    Skull Crushers: 2 sets x 8 reps
    Deadlifts: 3 sets x 3 reps
    Calf Raises: 2 sets x 20 reps

Friday
    Wide Grip Chins: 2 sets x as many as possible
    Curl Grip Chins: 2 sets x as many as possible
    Dumbbell Shoulder Presses: 2 sets x 8 reps
    Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 2 sets x 8 reps

Thank you...
    Last edited by MSkater; 02-27-2004 at 10:54 AM. Reason: change title

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why change?

The routine you've outlined looks ok.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yeah the routine looks fine, but I don't know if you can gauge a program after only a single month. You could always tweak it if there is something you don't like in it, but there isn't any miracle program that will make a significant impact in only 4 weeks.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I don't think that routine contains enough leg work. You're doing way more upperbody work where you only have 2 lower body exercises. Unless you have disproportionately large legs you'll be missing out eventually. If you are looking to train bodyparts twice a week, I'd look at a upper/lower or push/pull split. With that routine you will indirectly be hitting the triceps 4 times a week and your push exercises will quickly suffer.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

WBB1 targets each muscle group once a week, so by going to twice a week and upping the volume you are periodizing, which is a good thing. However, since you have not (i'm guessing you have not?) made the gains you want you may want to stay on WBB1, or what I usually suggest for beginners is a total body workout 2-3 times a week with a rep range of around 8-12 per exersize. The workout you provided looks okay, not sensational. I never have liked the idea of working the lowerbody in combination with the chest on a split program. I usually like to set aside a day to work the lowerbody by itself. Also, Homeyield hit the nail on the head, your tris are getting 16 sets total throughout the entire week. I usually do not even give my back that much volume.
    Last edited by NaturalBuilder; 02-27-2004 at 08:21 PM.

I agree with NB. I imagine you're pretty new and I think that the best thing new lifters can do is start with reasonably high reps. Also, recovery is usually pretty fast once you've done each exercise a couple of times and so working out 2-3x a week is usually ideal as you can still progress there. Just focus on a few compounds.