Thread: Bad neck sprain

Bad neck sprain

When doing shoulders on Friday I strained my neck bad... feels just like when I had bad whiplash from a wreck. It started out in my upper back and has gone up the muscles surrounding my spine in my neck. Anybody else had this happen? I can't move my head without excessive pain. I can work through it because I have a high pain tolerance but should I or should I lay off for a while... I really really hate to do it.

Yes, lay off, no question about it. That sounds like something serious. You say you had whiplash from a wreck, how long ago was this? It could have irritated it.

Wannabebig Member
    You've basically put your traps and erector spinae muscles into spasm. Rest, mild heat, and massage will help. It may take a while to get back to feeling normal but any exercise that you may tend to tense or strain your neck/traps can cause those muscles to continue to spasm so I'd take it easy for a while.

Cromm

If it is a muscle strain ice/heat and ibuprofen plus rest will help. If the pain persists for more than a few days or if it gets worse I'd go see a doctor. It's probably just a sprain but it could be something much worse like a herniated disk.

thanks for the input guys... Jasonl it has been a long time since I had that wreck I just remember it feeling a lot like this.... it doesn't feel any better today and a little more stiff... i'll give it a couple more days and if it doesn't get better i guess i'll have to go see a doctor