Thread: Purchasing Chicken/Turkey

Purchasing Chicken/Turkey

Do you all purchase your chicken and turkey in portions, i.e. 2 chicken breasts/steaks in a pack, or do you buy in bulk and freeze, then cook when needed?

I seem to be spending huge amounts of money each week purchasing portions of meat, as well as large quantities of other foods. My weekly food bill sometimes surpasses 100 GBP ($187 USD), and it is getting ridiculous.

What do you each do for your meat, and how much do you spend per week on your groceries?

I have heard that purchasing food in the US is much cheaper than in the UK.
    Last edited by Exnor; 02-26-2004 at 06:18 AM.

I wannabebig!
    I purchase in bulk and freeze, cook when needed! Id probably say that 187 USD would last me a whole month. Tuna and oatmeal go a long way as well

that is rediculous!
    how much of this stuff are you eating?
    here in the US an 8lb chicken costs about 7-8$
    one chicken tends to last me roughly 3-5 days depending on how much I eat in a day, typically 3 cups...

Another easier method is to buy the ground chicken/turkey breast...this is slightly more money, but is healthier (less fat) and easier to cook as you dont have to peel it from the bone. The only down side is that due to the lower amount of fat this can be extremely dry and hard to consume w/o some type of seasoning (which I tend to avoid)
    I am currently running a cooking experiment where I am marinading 3 pounds of sliced turkey breast in 1/2 cup olive oil for 2 days vs 3 pounds of ground turkey breast in olive oil, and will let you know which ends up winning the contest!!!
    (I'm a terrible cook!)

(PS, I consume roughly .75-1.5 pounds of ground turkey breast per day, at about 5$ a pound)

I eat all the food I purchase. I buy tuna and oatmeal too, a large box of quakers oatmeal tends to last me two weeks, its a good buy. My main expendature is on meat, vegetables, and fruit.

I pay approx. 3.50 GBP ($6.5 USD) for 350g (0.7lb) of chicken. Turkey is a little cheaper. I normally consume about 350-400g of chicken/turkey per day.

I have never frozen meat before, how long does it last? Does it take a considerable amount of time for it to defrost?

holy tits!!!!!!
    6.5$US for .7lb of chicken!??!?!?
    are you buying whole chickens from the grocery store? or do you go to a butcher?
    The stuff I buy is all fresh, non frozen....

PS, I've been to brighton a few times, nice town!!

I'm buying fresh chicken portions from the supermarket (Tesco's). I think I will try buying a whole chicken next week, and freezing it. Any ideas to the above questions?

Yeah, Brighton & Hove is quite a nice city. I am originally from Croydon, Surrey (South London).

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    don't you have grocery warehouses where you can buy in bulk?

i get skinless & boneless chick breast for $2.99/lb and just freeze in portions. it is sooo handy to have no bones or skin to remove. meat can be frozen for a long time and will retain it's quality and taste. think of all the frozen dinners the supermarkets have - have long do you think they have been frozen? i don't even want to know

to defrost it, leave it in the fridge a day ahead or use the defrost setting on your microwave.

I see, thanks for the information. The chicken breast you buy sounds convinent and cheap. I don't know of any grocery warehouses in the UK. I believe the cheapest supermarket to buy from in the UK is Asda, the equavalent of Walmart in the US. Unforunately, ASDA is out of my way, and I do not enjoy their food as much as Tescos'.

I buy chicken breasts at Sam's Club. A tray with 9-10 breasts is aroung 8 bucks. I get tuna at some other place. I buy the 48-can box for 23 dlls.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

I'm going on holiday to California in August. Perhaps I can purchase 400lb of chicken breast and freeze it for the UK. It should last at least 3 weeks

I think the only option is for me to buy a whole chicken, slice it into portions, then freeze those portions and eat them throughout the day/week.

Anyone else from the UK aware of any grocery warehouses for buying in bulk?

Go Nets
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgarMex
    I buy chicken breasts at Sam's Club. A tray with 9-10 breasts is aroung 8 bucks. I get tuna at some other place. I buy the 48-can box for 23 dlls.

I go that same route. Tyson, boneless skinless breasts are 12.99 for 14 of them.They last me a week

This week, the store here (HEB) has tuna on sale for 5-6ozcans for a dollar I'm stocking up on that!!

I go to Sam's or Costco and buy the big packs and freeze. Thaw when needed and eat. The tuna i get at what store is running the best price. My problem is that i will only eat the Albacore so it costs me a little more scratch

Back in the game
    exnor, try shopping at iceland if you got one,also buy most of your veg already frozen , miles cheaper.iceland usually do buy one get one free on frozen chicken or turkey breast. [ works out you can get 10 portions for a 5]
    also a good tip which i find very helpful- get a training partner, we food share. buy in bulk and spilt the cost,also its quite funny when i knock on his door and ask to borrow 4 cans of tuna fish.
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

PeterParker - thanks for the tips. I shall investigate Iceland's prices/offers today.

I have often thought about trying to find a training partner, but it is difficult since all of my friends in this country do not workout often or with a regime. I have gotten used to working out alone, with help from some people I know at the gym.

I bought .750 kilos for 5 from Iceland. Better than Tescos, Thanks.

Back in the game
    the buy one get one free promo, they do it on turkey as well, [ sould get 1 kg worth for a 5]
    check out there web site aswell, some times i order 10kg of chicken and they deliver to my door.
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

I just have a problem with storing it all. I have always purchased fresh food (hence the high bill), so there has never been room in the freezer allocated to me (I live with 4 other people).

I could probably store up to 6kg at one time.

Thanks for the heads up though, I shall look up the website.

The Chicken Mr'ga
    1kg of chicken for $5.. dam, im living in the wrong country!!
    here in Australia 1kg of boneless/skinless chicken breast is $12