Thread: Gronk in the gym rant.

Gronk in the gym rant.

In Australia the term "gronk" was originally used to describe prison innmates.
    Now the term is used to describe wannabe mamas boy thugs, derrelicts and general idiocy in people. Anyway I was at the gym which I have been a member of since it opened, where I know almost every hardcore trainer including the manager and staff when this gronk tried to "own" me.

The situation was I had just finished doing a set of dumbell shoulder presses and was racking the heavier ones to get some smaller DBs when a guy came up and prematurely sat on my seat before I had moved my towel. Anyway, the guy was apologetic and said "oh sorry man are u done?"
    I just said "Well, actually yeah I may as well do something else" In all honesty I was going to do another set but it didn't bother me either way. Anyway the guys friend came up to me, allow me to offer a description: 6"1, about 21-22, olive skin, designer singlet, designer jeans, tattoos all over his upper body and with an intense attitude 145lbs soaking wet. WANNABE THUG. So he comes up puffs his puny chest out and beats his fist at me and says "What's the problem pretty boy!" very aggressively as though I was picking his friend to a fight. I just looked at him and didn't say anything which is what I do if someone looks like they want to fight me. Anyway his friend calmed him down and then I went over to a flat bench to do some DB presses. As I sat there MR THUG, comes up and takes the bench next to me and proceeds to rep out 40s aggressively to the tune of about 12 reps. Then BANG drops them dramatically on the floor right next to my foot and looks straight at me with a death like stare.

I couldn't help it, I normally do my weights as quietly as possible and without drama but this guy got my adrenaline going. I picked up a set of 100s and ripped out 12 of the loudest most powerful reps Ive ever done, grunting and clanging the weight together at the top of each rep and at the end I dropped those suckers to the floor with an almighty boom.

The Wannabe-Thugmeister, did not expect that and he was looking at me again, this time I gave him a look straight into his eyes and a brief fake smile to which he looked away.

After that incidentally, 3 people came and asked me for training tips.

All I can say to wannabe thugs is if u come to my gym u better bring some respect and some common courtesy. I train with guys 50 times as strong as me and theres always mutual respect between hardcore trainers. The moral is don't think you are the strongest or toughest person out there because you might get owned by a 165lbs "pretty boy".

Quote Originally Posted by The_Brick
    In Australia the term "gronk" was originally used to describe prison innmates.
    Now the term is used to describe wannabe mamas boy thugs, derrelicts and general idiocy in people. Anyway I was at the gym which I have been a member of since it opened, where I know almost every hardcore trainer including the manager and staff when this gronk tried to "own" me.

The situation was I had just finished doing a set of dumbell shoulder presses and was racking the heavier ones to get some smaller DBs when a guy came up and prematurely sat on my seat before I had moved my towel. Anyway, the guy was apologetic and said "oh sorry man are u done?"
    I just said "Well, actually yeah I may as well do something else" In all honesty I was going to do another set but it didn't bother me either way. Anyway the guys friend came up to me, allow me to offer a description: 6"1, about 21-22, olive skin, designer singlet, designer jeans, tattoos all over his upper body and with an intense attitude 145lbs soaking wet. WANNABE THUG. So he comes up puffs his puny chest out and beats his fist at me and says "What's the problem pretty boy!" very aggressively as though I was picking his friend to a fight. I just looked at him and didn't say anything which is what I do if someone looks like they want to fight me. Anyway his friend calmed him down and then I went over to a flat bench to do some DB presses. As I sat there MR THUG, comes up and takes the bench next to me and proceeds to rep out 40s aggressively to the tune of about 12 reps. Then BANG drops them dramatically on the floor right next to my foot and looks straight at me with a death like stare.

The story was quite interesting up to this point...

I couldn't help it, I normally do my weights as quietly as possible and without drama but this guy got my adrenaline going. I picked up a set of 100s and ripped out 12 of the loudest most powerful reps Ive ever done, grunting and clanging the weight together at the top of each rep and at the end I dropped those suckers to the floor with an almighty boom.

The Wannabe-Thugmeister, did not expect that and he was looking at me again, this time I gave him a look straight into his eyes and a brief fake smile to which he looked away.

And then we have a potential fight that instead turns into a weight-lifting showdown!! LOL, Makes me think of something you would see in a bad made for tv movie!

After that incidentally, 3 people came and asked me for training tips.

All I can say to wannabe thugs is if u come to my gym u better bring some respect and some common courtesy. I train with guys 50 times as strong as me and theres always mutual respect between hardcore trainers. The moral is don't think you are the strongest or toughest person out there because you might get owned by a 165lbs "pretty boy".

Well, you sure showed him !! (I guess)
    "Life is all the pain we endeavor.."

Yeah. It was a gym not a boxing ring and this is a bodybuilding/powerlifting forum.

I'm a powerlifter not a boxer, I could have kicked his ass but so what.

lol nice story. Way to p/wn the wannabe's.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Reminds me of something similar that happened to me. Like you, i used to work in my gym when i was in college so I know everyone there. So anyway my brother and I are benching, just starting when two memebrs of the Irish travelling community( if u dont know what this is, Brad Pitt played one in Snatch) came in. They came up and asked if they could have the bench, i told them we had just started. They got all argumentive saying they were in a hurry etc, i told them we had three sets each and they would have to wait. So they stood and watched us muttering stuff to each other as we did our sets. My brother who is smaller than me, he weighs about 160, but can lift about 250. The two travellers thought if my brother could lift it, then they definitely could. So they did no warmups, first guy lies straight down takes the bar off the rack, and proceeds to get trapped directly underneath it. We watch as the other guy tries but fails to lift it up to free him.
    We let them sweat it out for a few more secs until we help them out. They then proceed to asks for tips for the remainder of my workout.

I was actually very relieved that they did not look for too much trouble becuase when these guys look for trouble, then ur in deep ****.

D'you like dags?
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    ^^^lol!
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

hahahha......that story is a classic due to the "snatch" value of it. Once you gave him tips how many dags did he give youi in return?

Heheh, both good stories.

The Brick, I'm suprised anyone would try to show off by pressing 40s. 100s for 12 though? Very impressive, dude.

That'll be the last time he tries something like that.

They are a few campsites close to where i live and yeah the place is full of dags. Usually though they aint the friendliest of dags.

Wannabebig New Member
    Brick ... awesome rant bro . You are nicer than most . I might have whacked him for good measure .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Thanks Brawl. It means a lot that you read my rant, u being the king of rants.

Hahaha nice stories!

Banned
    wow I must have been in the 'gronk free' part of Australia

I worked out in Brisbane and Noosa and didn't meet anyone remotely resembling the people you're describing

Brick, I know what you mean. I hate all those wannabe "Eminems" that dress up like little g-units and act all tough in their puffy jackets. I love it when they take off their jackets and are sporting some 7 inch arms but still insist they are MaD TuFFF y0!

hehe you know what I do when there is alot of gronks around, I pick up the 150lbs weight with my right hand who is my strongest, lift it up to my chin and move it around, just to show I can, and I pown them from here to mars and back, and a little pit stop on jupiter too.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.