Thread: Training with gloves

Training with gloves

Currently, I'm using gloves for most exercises (with the exception of those down on leg day) for my workouts. What are some of the disadvantages of doing so, like will it prevent me from increasing my grip strength?

I think most people use gloves when they lift heavy, however, I've made the habit of doing them for "lighter" exercises, such as tricep kickbacks or bent over laterals.

do you feel that you need them or do you wear them cause everybody else does?
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    There are a lot of glove haters on this site, but I won't harsh on them too much.

They shouldn't interfere with grip strength development, but I have found that they interfere with grip at times. Especially on things like shrugs--even ones that fit right sort of slide off and bunch up a little, which messes me up. That's why I quit using them quite a while ago. Just develop a set of calluses, and then don't worry about wearing out expensive gloves on a regular basis.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

Go Nets
    Quote Originally Posted by Big & Tall
    There are a lot of glove haters on this site, but I won't harsh on them too much.

They shouldn't interfere with grip strength development, but I have found that they interfere with grip at times. Especially on things like shrugs--even ones that fit right sort of slide off and bunch up a little, which messes me up. That's why I quit using them quite a while ago. Just develop a set of calluses, and then don't worry about wearing out expensive gloves on a regular basis.

At my gym, the 65 and up DB have significantly larger handles than the 60's and under. I'm finding that this larger diameter is making it more difficult to maneuver the weight. Do you think gloves would help, or only make the matter worse?

P.S. I have insane calluses as is, just not where I need to grip the larger bar.

Wannabebig Member
    I use gloves, I feel that I can better grip the weights especially doing bench and dumbells. The only reason I got them was b/c when I started, I got huge warts(sp?) on my hands and they were annoying b/c they killed and ripped my skin off.

I found that when I use gloves I tend to burn out my forearms faster then when I dont use them. I have to hold the bar tighter when using gloves. Its harder to hit the target muscle when i use gloves. :evillaugh

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    At my gym, the 65 and up DB have significantly larger handles than the 60's and under. I'm finding that this larger diameter is making it more difficult to maneuver the weight. Do you think gloves would help, or only make the matter worse?
    How big are these dumbbells, and how big are your hands? I would try adjusting the way you grip. The best way to grip (for a pulling type lift, say deads or shrugs) is to start with your hand completely flat. Then, bend all your fingers down so they are straight and at a 90 degree angle to your palm. Now, do you see the crease that runs along the width of your palm, and the little 'shelf' that the end of your palms forms at the base of your fingers? That is where the bar should go--jammed into that crease and resting on your PALM, not on your fingers. This technique can make an amazing difference in grip strength.

As far as gloves for the bigger weights, maybe use them only part of the time until your calluses get more built up.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

Gloves make the diameter of what you're gripping larger, thus more difficult to grip. Thin gloves, not a big deal, but padded gloves, as many lifting models are, can significnatly increase the diameter you're gripping.

Furthermore, gloves (and straps) will slip slightly during gripping exercises, and I think that this actually contributes to callouses more than chalking up and pulling. As a climber, I would never wear gloves on my hands for gripping since I need rough, strong hands -- but callouses are my worst enemy, so I file them down.

Thank you guys for the insight. EdgarMex, I don't wear gloves as a fashion statement, actually, i'm usually the only one in the gym who wears them when I workout.

I used gloves once, found my grip suffered so now they just line the bottom of my bag.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Hey, I actually use an old pair of BMX gloves and I love 'em, they don't roll, and I find I'm concentrating a lot less on my pull up grip and more on the targeted muscles. The same can be said for curls and almost any of the exercises I do with the pulley systems.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I used to wear a pair of harbinger gloves with the wristwrap but they ruined my grip. They always slid. But I never got any callouses when I used gloves, I had to develop callouses through some painful lifting sessions that I was afraid of for a long time. Meh.

Chalk up.

Just one last rep!
    I use gloves with wrist wraps on heavy bench and dips. I have some wrist problems and they really help in the pushing motions. They keep my wrist from bending back quite so far. Other than that I don't use them. I use chaulk on all pulling exercises. It does wonders for your grip. Plus you'll have nice forearms by default.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I really don't give a **** I'm gonna eat em both!
    Height: 69" Weight: 205 BF% about 15
    Chest: 47 Biceps: 16.5
    Waist: 34 Thigh: 26
    Calves: 16.5 Neck: 16.25
    Wrist: 7 Ankle: 8.5
    Main Supplements are: Various proteins (200-250g/day) Aminos, Glutamine, Creatine, Vitamins. Best way to put on muscle? Lift as heavy as possible. Consume lots of protein and carbs around workout. Biggest weakness is hamstring and lower back. Working on DL.

Journal in progress

meh, Before I started to wear gloves, my hands felt like they were going to fall off because i almost rubbed them raw with all the dumbells, ect... I just wear them so i have my hands in one piece, I dont believe that it has anything to do with grip str. And I absolutely hate chalk.
    Last edited by ulfar; 03-03-2004 at 06:41 AM.

LuvDaPump, maybe you should try and get your hands on some wrist wraps. They are generally used by powerlifters for pressing exercises, and may help you much more than the gloves are. They are pretty cheap, most companies that make Knee wraps also make wrist wraps. Inzer is one company, that's where mine are from. Although, I haven't used them yet.

As for gloves, my opinion is still the same. If you are a hand model, fine, otherwise, there really isn't much benefit. They will hurt your training more than anything else.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Idling
    I dont use gloves for any other days except back day. With deadlifts, lat pulldowns, shrugs, DB rows... it seems to help alot when using gloves, otherwise (esp. with shrugs) my grip starts to fail and it tears my hands up. Try using gloves just on back day for now and see how that works for you..

Everyone here has pretty much nailed the answer already. If your grip suffers, do not use them. If you are a weenie and do not want rough hands then I would worry about your sexuality...