The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is it ok to drink protein shakes in the morning?

Is it ok to drink protein shakes in the morning?
    My Journal CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=41309

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Yes.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

ok thanks man
    My Journal CHECK IT OUT

yes, but since breakfast is the most important meal of the day i would focus on eating lots of other good stuff i.e. oatmeal (with whey), couple of eggs whites, maybe some wheat toast, natural peanut butter sandwich. I sometimes even had two of things I mentioned with a protein shake.

I prefer solid food to shakes, it keeps me fuller for a longer time.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

I'd be more inclined to take a MRP as opposed to a protein only shake.
    proteinfactory.com has shakes specifically designed for AM and PM
    that contain flax powder (fat), egg white powder, casein, wpc and some malto

Bottom line is anything is better than nothing

thanks a lot ima try that
    My Journal CHECK IT OUT

get some solid foods in teh morning, but use the protein shake when you don't have time to get solid protien.

Try cookin up some egg beater and throw in a slice of bread and maybe a cup of milk or orange juice. It's better than a shake. But if you really don't have time then the shake wouldn't hurt.

Wannabebig Member
    your body has gone on an 8 to 10 hr. fast. your metabolism is virtually frozen,... and your blood/sugar levels have dropped due to lack of food. Your body breaks down muscle (catabolism) right now, more than any other time of the day. You need to reverse this process back towards anabolism.

It's NOT the most important meal of the day for the sake of eating a bunch of stuff (that's better off being your second meal by the way). It's the most important meal of the day because your body will UTILIZE nutrients more effficiently than any other time of the day (due to these facts).

I'd say get some high GI carbs into your diet to replenish your blood glycogen, spike your insulin levels,... and have a couple scoops of whey, or at least 1 scoop with eggs or another type of protein,... but that whey is needed because your body is begging for nutrients (you just dont feel it), and you've just spiked your insulin levels and restored your muscle glycogen, so the whey is allowed to go directly towards building muscle.

Your metabolism, once frozen, has just been cranked up and you can continue burning fat thru the rest of the day. I'd actually drink this shake as soon as I wake up (if you're serious about your bodybuilding) and have a well-balanced, fiber-containing meal a couple hours after I've reversed this catabolic state.

I like 1.5 scoops of whey, 2 cups of milk all mixed up, and some whole wheat bread or oatmeal while I live in a dorm. While at home i would rather 1 scoop of whey, some oatmeal and egg whites tho.

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    i live at a boarding school so sometimes the breakfasts in the dining hall isn't too great, i would have a protein shake with two cups of skim milk and then a bagel or bran muffins.

i don't think spiking insulin is a good idea for breakfast, oatmeal is a better way to go.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeoJunior
    your body has gone on an 8 to 10 hr. fast. your metabolism is virtually frozen,... and your blood/sugar levels have dropped due to lack of food. Your body breaks down muscle (catabolism) right now, more than any other time of the day. You need to reverse this process back towards anabolism.

It's NOT the most important meal of the day for the sake of eating a bunch of stuff (that's better off being your second meal by the way). It's the most important meal of the day because your body will UTILIZE nutrients more effficiently than any other time of the day (due to these facts).

I'd say get some high GI carbs into your diet to replenish your blood glycogen, spike your insulin levels,... and have a couple scoops of whey, or at least 1 scoop with eggs or another type of protein,... but that whey is needed because your body is begging for nutrients (you just dont feel it), and you've just spiked your insulin levels and restored your muscle glycogen, so the whey is allowed to go directly towards building muscle.

Your metabolism, once frozen, has just been cranked up and you can continue burning fat thru the rest of the day. I'd actually drink this shake as soon as I wake up (if you're serious about your bodybuilding) and have a well-balanced, fiber-containing meal a couple hours after I've reversed this catabolic state.
    This guy knows his stuff!

Anyway, hes right on the money..
    Although it could arguably be the 2ND most important to the post-workout meal...

After you work-out it is important to get protein in you as fast as possible (fast absorbing protein) and make sure to get your insulin levels high by eating something with a high GI.

RomeoJunior, im curious, have you ever been to www.ast-ss.com before? If not I suggest checking it out..
    Last edited by NateWheeler; 03-06-2004 at 07:48 PM.

I usually have a meal of oatmeal, juice, milk, eggs, and some fruit. If i dont have time, ill slip in a MRP.
    High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    i don't think spiking insulin is a good idea for breakfast, oatmeal is a better way to go.

I agree.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee