Thread: Powerlifting While Cutting, Possible?

Tiredly going Insane

Powerlifting While Cutting, Possible?

Hey,
    Im takin a week of a lifting (i really need it and its a week before track and i want to give my body a rest) and basically im dropping my old program and am in search for a new program. Ive always followed bodybuilding programs, but now i want to go for pure strength. I know you guys are like, well if your going for pure strength then why are you cutting. I plan to bulk back up after this, jus ive never really been skinny and im curious how i would look. ALso track is coming up and losin some weight owuldnt hurt either when it comes to running. But what do you guys htink i should do? Stick to bodybuilding routines or change over to powerlifting? If i were to change over to power lifting i would be Doing track while powerlifting so i dont know how that would work, if that would even be a problem. I have a journal where im loggin my workouts and meals and what not so go ahead and let me know what you think. But thanks for reading!

When you say track do you mean endurance runs or sprints? If its sprints then powerlifting will help alot because the stronger your muscles are the more force you can put into each step running therefor making you faster. If your into endurance events then powerlifting couldn't hurt(too much) but I'm not sure on the type of weight training that would make you better at running a long race.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Tiredly going Insane
    http://bodybuilding.com/fun/james1.htm

Thats the workout i use to follow. I took otu some lifts like decline due to lack of equipment.

also i would be doin sprints....
    Also how would you come up with a routine. I have no clue how to start and my knowledge on powerlifting is pretty low. thanks

Tiredly going Insane
    bump

How long have you been lifting? What were your stats (squat/bench/deadlift) when you started and what are they now?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Tiredly going Insane
    ive been lifting for about 2 years. 1 year worth horrible training, this year with everything i try to do perfect. Squat: 355 (havent been able to do it as of late because of injury but am back into them) Deads: 225x6 Bench: 95 pound dumbbells x 5 and 225 BB x 2. Thats the most ive ever done with those lifts. When i first started my squat was 225, deads, 155, and bench 115. Hope this helps some

Tiredly going Insane
    bump!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Its very possible. When a powerlifter cuts weight for a meet to get into a lower weight class he doesnt stop powerlifting. Its diet, mostly. I'd also think that it would include greater frequency of GPP and extra workouts (if you're into that ****.) Sprints as well. Sled pulling more often...**** like that.

Tiredly going Insane
    where would i find a program at?

I'd say the sprinting will work out nicely with the PL routine, but it really depends on how much you do, how well you eat, and how much rest you get. As for a routine, read the westside article on this site and then do a search in google for westside. You'll find tons of info.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310