The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Protein Intake is so Overrated

anybody care to disagree with me?

this whole mystical, magical, wonderful number - "ONE GRAM PER LB OF BODYWEIGHT"

i personally think it's overkill and definitely not necessary, even for bodybuilders.

i think sometimes people get too infatuated with reaching this magical number that they take in too many calories, and end up gaining a lot of unintended bodyfat.

i've noticed that phenomenon myself.. trying desperately to take in 190-200 g of protein for my bodyweight.. and just getting flabby over time.

i have since decreased my protein intake to a more sensible 120-150 g (this was not at all easy to do.. trust me) I felt like i was gonna shrink into a pile of bones.. but i kept the calories a little bit lower, and have noticed that i have slimmed down, but not lost a step in any of my lifts or in muscle mass.

It might be just me.. but i don't think it's necessary to take in quite as much protein as advertised.. in fact, in some way, i think it's a ploy by protein/supplement companies to encourage people to intake more protein and, thus, purchase more supplements.. leaking out reports that "1g/1lb" is the magic number.

any thoughts on the issue?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Personally I think you may well be right. Bear in mind however that the actual recommended value is 0.8g / lb of body weight and is rounded up to 1g for convenience. Also besides its use in building muscle it's thought that protein might be good for appetite satisfaction and could in fact be the real reason for the success of the Atkins diet, rather than ketosis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    Personally I think you may well be right. Bear in mind however that the actual recommended value is 0.8g / lb of body weight and is rounded up to 1g for convenience. Also besides its use in building muscle it's thought that protein might be good for appetite satisfaction and could in fact be the real reason for the success of the Atkins diet, rather than ketosis.
    Agree, most people that are new to lifting over estimate the power of protein, but I still aim for 1g/lb just because I like to make sure my body has enough. I know its unnecessary, but I do it anyway.

Banned
    i think the body can only assimilate SO much protein. the rest seems to go to waste.

Protein is not a magical substance that will make you huge in and of itself.

If you are deficient in protein you will retard your workouts. I prefer to err on the side of safety.

For many years I thought protein intake was no big deal and I often ate less than 100 grams at 220 + in bodyweight. I have since learned that increasing my intake of protein has improved recovery and allowed me to make new progress in the gym.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Sounds like you were just eating too much and needed to cut the calories down. I can eat close to 400g of protein a day and don't get flabby or anything. There's been tons of studies done but no magical number of how much protein the body can absorb and use has really been found. Personally I don't mind eating lots of protein, because I love meat and it doesn't bother me. Pasta and carbs just aren't my thing so I eat more protein. What does it boil down to? Calories in = calories out. Bigger guys will need more. Smaller guys need less. Don't over-complicate things.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Agree w/ HY.

Tiger AK - can you give us any proof that 1g/lb is BAD for you? I'm eating about 1.2g per lb of BW and I've had good results with it.

But hey, if you can make gains 120-150g, whatever works for you, dude.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    I most definitely disagree..

protein BUILDS muscle!
    more protein the more muscle building...

Yes you can eat too much though (and you'll probably develop kidney stones)

More protein is scientifically proven to build more muscle, its a FACT!

Yes, maybe the amount you eat builds plenty of muscle for you, but I am willing to bet if YOU ate more, you would build MORE muscle!

take a look at MANY of the articles on www.ast-ss.com - that site is the best site every created when it comes to supplements, info, research, articles, training programs, proper form, etc etc etc.

I live by that site..

A Fortnight Dead
    Wow.

That's certainly an objective outlook you have there.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

I agree that 1g per lb is just more of a convenience thing, but it work for most people. I think that 1g per lb of LBM is more important, but since most people don't know exactly what that is, we just do it the ole' fashoned way.

Wannabebig Member
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=54

Just read this article from WBB..

thought maybe you may want to read it

[QUOTE=TiGeR AK]
    i personally think it's overkill and definitely not necessary, even for bodybuilders.

i think sometimes people get too infatuated with reaching this magical number that they take in too many calories, and end up gaining a lot of unintended bodyfat.

i've noticed that phenomenon myself.. trying desperately to take in 190-200 g of protein for my bodyweight.. and just getting flabby over time.

QUOTE]

I cant imagine getting 190g of protein would throw you over you maintanence calories. You can get high amounts of protein without overeating, lots of us do it.
    But I do agree that there is no need to take in huge amounts of protein to gain muscle, or even to retain muscle while dieting. That being said I would much rather err on the side of caution. I never go below 300g while dieting.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    Agree w/ HY.

Tiger AK - can you give us any proof that 1g/lb is BAD for you? I'm eating about 1.2g per lb of BW and I've had good results with it.

But hey, if you can make gains 120-150g, whatever works for you, dude.
    oh no.. i'm not saying it's bad at all.

i'm just saying that i don't think it's absolutely NECESSARY to get quite the amount that people claim.

I'm sure it's great to eat that much.. but for me, i haven't noticed any ill effects from eating a little bit less.. that's all.

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NateWheeler
    protein BUILDS muscle!
    more protein the more muscle building...
    This is not true. Your body only requires a certain amount of protein, and anything you intake beyond that amount is only going to be broken down by your kidneys.

Quote Originally Posted by NateWheeler
    take a look at MANY of the articles on www.ast-ss.com - that site is the best site every created when it comes to supplements, info, research, articles, training programs, proper form, etc etc etc.)
    I'd be cautious about using a site that sells supplements as a guide to how much should be consumed.

Grasshoppa
    I don't have a problem eating upwards of 1.5 g/lb of protein or so and still being under maintenance. Your problem lies in the balance of the other macros. If you're trying to eat more protein and not adjusting the other macros accordingly, then you may tip over maintenance, and of course you'll gain weight. I agree that 1 g/lb is more of a convenience estimate, but it is definately a very helpful one.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

i dont see how you can eat only 150 grams of protein. i weight 160 and i can easily eat 250g of protein in a day without even trying. and thats with a 40/30/30. a chicken breast has like 70 g of protein in it already and thats just one meal of the day. for convenient sake.. lets just round to 2g/lb

Quote Originally Posted by thanky0ujesus
    i dont see how you can eat only 150 grams of protein. i weight 160 and i can easily eat 250g of protein in a day without even trying. and thats with a 40/30/30. a chicken breast has like 70 g of protein in it already and thats just one meal of the day. for convenient sake.. lets just round to 2g/lb
    I think you're overestimating the amount of protein in your foods if you think a chicken breast has 70g of protein in it. Unless you're eating huge chicken breasts

In unrelated news...I ate 7 (small) chicken breasts tonight

i count calories from the nutritional facts, i weight my foods using a scale, and i input them into Fitday. Pretty accurate, and yeah.. i like huge breasts..

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    I agree that 1g per lb is just more of a convenience thing, but it work for most people. I think that 1g per lb of LBM is more important, but since most people don't know exactly what that is, we just do it the ole' fashoned way.
    Exactly.

What i never really understood with the 1g per 1 pound rule is that i would think a person at 5'7 190 lbs and 8% BF would need more protein then someone like me who is 6'2 190lbs and 17% BF. I am not big and im wondering if 190g's a day is a necesisty. When i consume protien i usually eat it with WW bread. I am just worried i am over doing it for some one who does not have that much muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiVision
    This is not true. Your body only requires a certain amount of protein, and anything you intake beyond that amount is only going to be broken down by your kidneys.

I'd be cautious about using a site that sells supplements as a guide to how much should be consumed.

Um what? Please explain to me how the body will "break down" excess protein. Into what? And will this be utilized or just excreted by the body?
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by cwm
    What i never really understood with the 1g per 1 pound rule is that i would think a person at 5'7 190 lbs and 8% BF would need more protein then someone like me who is 6'2 190lbs and 17% BF. I am not big and im wondering if 190g's a day is a necesisty. When i consume protien i usually eat it with WW bread. I am just worried i am over doing it for some one who does not have that much muscle.
    That's why the guidelines are 1 gr per pound of LBM.

Banned
    you can only assimilate a certain amount of protein.. and the rest is waste, and excreted through the urine/feces.

your body has limits.. you can't utilize every single gram of it, if you are taking in a lot of protein.

like they say.. only about 25-30 g of protein can be absorbed per sitting.. every 3 hours. the rest will just come right out.

i definitely agree - too much protein is stressful on the major organs and most of us eat more than neccessary anyways

medically for inactive people they eat 0.8/1g per KG of BW, for weightlifters it should be 1.2g-1.4g/KG of BW. Anymore than that is not only not going to be used, but can in the long term lead to severe kidney and heart problems. Just ask the really buff 50yr old guys in kidney dialysis with renal failure. At a BW of about 200lb, you need about 110-130g per day.. nothing more.. aside from health effects, the extra protein might just make u fat... oh and I have proof - my uncle is 235lb at 8%bf benches well over 300 and eats 100g per day...my friend is 225lb at 10% bf and is VEGETARIAN!!! you really don't need all this excess protein - its a game for supplement companies to make money - why do you think the FDA recommends 59g for the average healthy person??? just think and stop making supplement companies rich...all the extra protein excreted through urine is only stressing the kidneys more and more... I have been eating around 120g for the past 4 weeks and i am not only getting leaner but making better lift increases then when i used to eat 220g a day (before my 2 doctors told me about the negative effects)...please before you hurt yourself do some medical research there are many medical textbooks that advise against high protein stupidity..

too little is bad and too much is bad, but if you ever have protein in the urine that extremely bad - proteinurea is a sign of kidney damage - ask any true doctor...and 0.8g/lb of LBM sounds good I mean take our 200lb 15% bf guy he has 170lb of LBM and x 0.8 he eats around 136g protein.
    Last edited by dxiw; 03-07-2004 at 01:48 PM.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Um what? Please explain to me how the body will "break down" excess protein. Into what? And will this be utilized or just excreted by the body?
    The difference between a protein molecule and a carbohydrate or fat molecule is the presence of nitrogen. When you've ingested more protein than your body needs, the liver removes this nitrogen from it so the remaining parts of the molecule can be used for calories. The leftover nitrogen is excreted by the kidneys.