Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein Intake is so Overrated

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiVision
    This is not true. Your body only requires a certain amount of protein, and anything you intake beyond that amount is only going to be broken down by your kidneys.

I'd be cautious about using a site that sells supplements as a guide to how much should be consumed.

LOL..

Besides the fact thats incorrect. Remember just exactly WHAT were doing here. We are LIFTING WEIGHTS. When you do this, it brakes the muscle tissue down. In order to regrow and build bigger, it needs protein. Why you ask? Because PROTEIN BUILDS MUSCLE. However, if you werent lifting, I would definitely say that the amount required is significantly less. But since LIFTING is the name of the game, your gonna need MORE PROTEIN

Another thing.. lets say you are taking in plenty of protein and more than enough for rebuilding muscle tissue, there are PLENTY of other actions that excess protein can take, it doesnt just get thrown away.
    Last edited by NateWheeler; 03-07-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw
    i definitely agree - too much protein is stressful on the major organs and most of us eat more than neccessary anyways

medically for inactive people they eat 0.8/1g per KG of BW, for weightlifters it should be 1.2g-1.4g/KG of BW. Anymore than that is not only not going to be used, but can in the long term lead to severe kidney and heart problems. Just ask the really buff 50yr old guys in kidney dialysis with renal failure. At a BW of about 200lb, you need about 110-130g per day.. nothing more.. aside from health effects, the extra protein might just make u fat... oh and I have proof - my uncle is 235lb at 8%bf benches well over 300 and eats 100g per day...my friend is 225lb at 10% bf and is VEGETARIAN!!! you really don't need all this excess protein - its a game for supplement companies to make money - why do you think the FDA recommends 59g for the average healthy person??? just think and stop making supplement companies rich...all the extra protein excreted through urine is only stressing the kidneys more and more... I have been eating around 120g for the past 4 weeks and i am not only getting leaner but making better lift increases then when i used to eat 220g a day (before my 2 doctors told me about the negative effects)...please before you hurt yourself do some medical research there are many medical textbooks that advise against high protein stupidity..

too little is bad and too much is bad, but if you ever have protein in the urine that extremely bad - proteinurea is a sign of kidney damage - ask any true doctor...and 0.8g/lb of LBM sounds good I mean take our 200lb 15% bf guy he has 170lb of LBM and x 0.8 he eats around 136g protein.
    thanks for your input.. it pretty much follows my own personal observations and hypotheses.

Quote Originally Posted by thanky0ujesus
    a chicken breast has like 70 g of protein in it
    is that 1lb chicken breast?

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    is that 1lb chicken breast?
    Probably a whole breast, both sides. The prepacked and deboned chicken breasts are one half of a breast and usually have average 30g of protein. So a whole breast could have 70g of protein.

Wannabebig Member

AK,...quite appropriately...

....you mentioned that you were trying to lose weight.

<<<<< have since decreased my protein intake to a more sensible 120-150 g (this was not at all easy to do.. trust me) I felt like i was gonna shrink into a pile of bones.. but i kept the calories a little bit lower, and have noticed that i have slimmed down, but not lost a step in any of my lifts or in muscle mass.>>>>>

slimming down (losing weight),...has NOTHING to do with how much protein you take in, or fat or any other calories for that matter. It is as simple as the # of calories you take in a day compared to the number of calories your body burned that day. If your body burned more than you consumed, no matter what types they are, you will lose weight. It'd be smart to ingest enough protein as you're working out to keep your muscle on and burn fat, but that's besides the underlying theme I just stated.

As for me, I'm skinny, and i don't want to just get big for the sake of getting big. I want muscle. Protein ='s muscle.

Protein is not overrated at all,..it's just misunderstood. Nothing magical at all about it or about the calorie expenditure/calorie consumption biological rule.

And with all this powdered stuff we're hawking down... that's true, protein can be stressful inside our bodies if we're not drinking enough water a day with the stuff (clear water), which is a chore i'm not yet fond of myself.
    Last edited by RomeoJunior; 03-08-2004 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeR AK
    you can only assimilate a certain amount of protein.. and the rest is waste, and excreted through the urine/feces.

your body has limits.. you can't utilize every single gram of it, if you are taking in a lot of protein.

like they say.. only about 25-30 g of protein can be absorbed per sitting.. every 3 hours. the rest will just come right out.
    This is wrong.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Ha!

This thread is largely full of assumptions based on personal accounts, which are inherently skewed. If you guys want to make this a productive discussion, start pulling in facts, not beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    Sounds like you were just eating too much and needed to cut the calories down. I can eat close to 400g of protein a day and don't get flabby or anything. There's been tons of studies done but no magical number of how much protein the body can absorb and use has really been found. Personally I don't mind eating lots of protein, because I love meat and it doesn't bother me. Pasta and carbs just aren't my thing so I eat more protein. What does it boil down to? Calories in = calories out. Bigger guys will need more. Smaller guys need less. Don't over-complicate things.
    :withstupi
    Being small with Neuromuscular strength is good but being BIG with Neuromuscular strength is better!

Galileo is right.

And from personal experience, I made the best gains with 2gs/lb of bodyweight.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

you can only assimilate a certain amount of protein.. and the rest is waste, and excreted through the urine/feces.

your body has limits.. you can't utilize every single gram of it, if you are taking in a lot of protein.

like they say.. only about 25-30 g of protein can be absorbed per sitting.. every 3 hours. the rest will just come right out.
    Paul is right, this is horribly wrong.
    Please dont give diet/nutrition advice on things you know very little about. And dont believe everthing "they" tell you. Thank you.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Everyone repeates it, but no one has yet come up with the source of the only about 25-30 g of protein can be absorbed per sitting.. every 3 hours. the rest will just come right out. magical number.

Protein requirements ARE generally overrated.
    1.2-1.4g per kg of bodyweight are the most I have seen in a study that was not limited in carbohydrates; basically if you limit carbs, your body makes glucose from protein. So yes you CAN utilize more than 40g at one sitting but probably not towards muscle synthesis.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hemants
    1.2-1.4g per kg of bodyweight are the most I have seen in a study that was not limited in carbohydrates; basically if you limit carbs, your body makes glucose from protein. So yes you CAN utilize more than 40g at one sitting but probably not towards muscle synthesis.

care to tell us how you know that as a fact? any studies?

Here are a few citations. But if you were wondering about the 40g per sitting, that is an unkown but a reasonable expectation given daily requirements. I highly doubt the body can build muscle for 2 hours in a day and then spend the other 22 hours doing nothing.

Allen, L. H., Oddoye, E. A., & Margen, S. (1979). Protein-induced hypercalciuria: a longer term study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 32, 741-749.

Anand, C. R. & Linkswiler, H. M. (1974). Effect of protein intake on calcium balance of young men given 500 mg calcium daily. Journal of Nutrition, 104, 695-700.

Arnaud, C. D. & Sanchez, S. D. (1996). Calcium and phosphorus. In: E. E. Zigler & L. J. Filer, Jr. (Eds.), Present knowledge in nutrition, (7th ed.; pp. 245-255). Washington, D. C.: ILSI Press.

Brenner, B. M., Meyer, T. W., & Hostetter, T. H. (1982). Dietary protein intake and the progressive nature of kidney disease: The role of hemodynamically mediated glomerular injury in the pathogenesis of progressive glomerular sclerosis in aging, renal ablation, and intrinsic renal disease. The New England Journal of Medicine, 307, 652-659.

Brotherhood, J. R. (1984). Nutrition and sports performance. Sports Medicine, 1, 350-389.

Burr, D. B. (1997). Bone, exercise, and stress fractures. In: J. L. Holloszy (Ed.), Exercise and sport sciences reviews (pp. 171-194). Baltimore, MD: Williams and Wilkins.

Campbell, W. W., Crim, M. C., Young, V. R., & Evans, W. J. (1994). Increased energy requirements and body composition changes with resistance training in older adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 60, 167-175.

Campbell, W. W., Crim, M. C., Young, V. R., Joseph, L. J., & Evans, W. J. (1995). Effects of resistance training and dietary protein intake on protein metabolism in older adults. American Journal of Physiology, 268 (June), 1143E.

Catlin, D., Wright, J., Pope, H., Jr., & Liggett, M. (1993). Assessing the threat of anabolic steroids. The Physician and Sports Medicine, 21 (8), 36-41, 44.

Celejowa, I. & Homa, M. (1970). Food intake, nitrogen, and energy balance in Polish weight lifters during a training camp. Nutrition and Metabolism, 12, 259-74.

Conroy, B. P. & Earle, R. W. (1994). Bone, muscle, and connective tissue adaptations to physical activity. In: T.R. Baechle (Ed.), Essentials of strength and conditioning (pp. 51-66). Champaigne, IL: Human Kinetics.

Consolazio C. F., Johnson, H. L., Nelson, R. A., Dramise, J. G., & Skala, J. H. (1975). Protein metabolism during intensive physical training in the young adult. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 28, 29-35.

Di Pasquale, M. G. (1997). Amino acids and proteins for the athleteĖthe anabolic edge. Volume in I. Wolinsky (Series ed.), Nutrition in exercise and sport. New York, NY: CRC Press.

Durnin, J. V. (1978). Protein requirements and physical activity. In J. Parizkova & V. A. Rogozkin (Eds.) Nutrition, physical fitness and health (pp. 53-60) Baltimore: University Press.

Elliot, D. L., Goldberg, L., Kuehl, K. S., & Catlin, D. H. (1987). Chracteristics of anabolic-androgenic steroid-free competitive male and female body builders. The Physician and Sports Medicine, 15 (6), 169-179.

Fern, E. B., Bielinski, R. N., & Schutz, Y. (1991). Effects of exaggerated amino acid and protein supply in man. Experientia, 47, 168-72.

Friedl, K. E. (1994). Performance-enhancing substances: Effects, risks, and appropriate alternatives. In: T. R. Baechle (Ed.), Essentials of strength training and conditioning (pp. 188-209). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

Goldenburg, L., Elliot, D. L., Schutz, R. W., & Kloster, F. E. (1984). Changes in lipid and lipoprotein levels after weight training. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, 252 (4), 504-506.

Hatfield, F. C. (1993). Hardcore bodybuilding: A scientific approach. Chicago, IL: Contemporary Books.

Hegsted, M., Schuette, S. A., Zemel, M. B., & Linkswiler, H. M. (1981). Urinary calcium and calcium balance in young men as affected by level of protein and phosphorus intake. Journal of Nutrition, 111, 553-562.

Holloway, J. B. (1994). Individual differences and their implications for resistance training. In: T. R. Baechle (Ed.), Essentials of strength training and conditioning (pp. 151-162). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

Hurley, B. F., Seals, D. R., Hagberg, J. M., Goldberg, A. C., Ostrove, S. M., Holloszy, J. O., Wiest, W. G., & Goldberg, A. P. (1984). High-density lipoprotein cholesterol in body builders v powerlifters: Negative effects of androgen use. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, 252 (4), 507-513.

Kersey, R. D. (1993). Anabolic-androgenic steroid use by private health club/gym athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 7 (2), 118-126.

Kleiner, S. M., Bazzarre, T. L., & Ainsworth, B. E. (1994). Nutritional status of nationally ranked elite bodybuilders. International Journal of Sport Nutrition, 4, 54-69.

Kraemer, W. J. (1992 a). Hormonal mechanisms related to the expression of muscular strength and power. In: P. V. Komi (Ed.), Strength and power in sport (pp. 64-76). Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Science.

Kraemer, W. J. (1992 b). Endocrine responses and adaptations to strength training. In: P. V. Komi (Ed.), Strength and power in sport (pp. 291-304). Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Science.

Laritcheva, K. A., Yalovaya, N. I., Shubin, V. I., & Smirnov, P. V. (1978). Study of energy expenditure and protein needs of top weight lifters. In Parazkova & Rogozkin (Eds) Nutrition, physical fitness and health (pp. 144-163). Baltimore: University Press.

Lemar, H. J., Jr. (1998 a). Growth hormone use and abuse. In: M. T. McDermott (Ed.), Endocrine secrets, 2nd edition (pp. 172-179). Philadelphia, PA: Hanley and Belfus Medical Publishers.

Lemar, H. J., Jr. (1998 b). Use and abuse of anabolic-androgenic steroids. In: M. T. McDermott (Ed.), Endocrine secrets (2nd ed.; pp. 291-295). Philadelphia, PA: Hanley and Belfus Medical Publishers.

Lemon, P. W. R. (1987). Protein and exercise: update 1987. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 19 (5), S179-S190.

Lemon, P. W. R. (1994). Protein requirements of soccer. Journal of Sports Science, 12, S17-22.

Lemon, P. W. R. (1995). Do athletes need more dietary protein and amino acids? International Journal of Sport Nutrition, 5, S39-S61.

Lemon, P. W. R. (1997, September). Protein needs of athletes. Symposium conducted at the International Conference on Sport Nutrition, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Lemon, P. W .R. & Proctor, D. (1991). Protein intake and athletic performance. Sports Medicine, 12 (5), 313-325.

Lemon, P. W. R., Tarnopolsky, M. A., MacDougall, J. D., & Atkinson, S. A. (1992). Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. Journal of Applied Physiology, 73, 767-775.

Lombardo, J. (1993). The efficacy and mechanisms of action of anabolic steroids. In C. E. Yesalis (Ed.), Anabolic steroids in sport and exercise (pp. 89-106). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

MacDougall, J. D. (1986). Morphological changes in human skeletal muscle following strength training and immobilization. In N. L. Jones, N. McCartney, & A .J. McComas (Eds.), Human muscle power (pp. 269-288). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

McCarthy, P. (1989). How much protein do athletes really need? The Physician and Sports Medicine, 17 (5), (170-175).

Mitchell, H. H. (1924). A method of determining the biological value of protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 58, 873-903.

Munro, H. N. (1964). Introduction to part II. In: H.N. Munro & J.B. Allison (Eds.), Mammalian protein metabolism: Vol. 2. (pp. 1-39). New York, NY: Academic Press.

National Academy of Sciences National Research Council. (1989). Recommended dietary allowances ( 9th ed.) Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.

Oser, B. L. (1965). Hawke's physiological chemistry. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

Paul, G. (1989). Dietary protein requirements of physically active individuals. Sports Medicine, 8, 154-176.

Poortmans, J. (1985). Postexercise proteinuria in humans: facts and mechanisms. Journal of the American Medical Association, 253, 236-240.

Reeds, P. J. & Beckett, P. R. (1996). Protein and amino acids. In: E. E. Zigler & L. J. Filer, Jr. (Eds.), Present knowledge in nutrition, (7th ed.; pp. 67-86). Washington, D.C.: ILSI Press.

Reimers, K. J. (1994). Evaluating a healthy, high performance diet. Strength and Conditioning, 16 (6), 28-30.

Roy, B. D., Tarnopolsky, M. A., MacDougall, J. D., Fowles, J., & Yarasheski, K. E. (1997). Effect of glucose supplement timing on protein metabolism after resistance training. Journal of Applied Physiology, 82 (6), 1882-1888.

Sargent, R. G. and Hohn, E. (1993). Protein needs for the athlete. National Strength and Conditioning Journal, 15 (1), 54-56.

Schutte, S. A. & Linkswiler, H. M. (1982). Effects of Ca and P metabolism in humans by adding meat, meat plus milk, or purified proteins plus Ca and P to a low protein diet. Journal of Nutrition, 112, 338-349.

Sherwood, L. (1993). Human physiology: From cells to systems, 2nd ed. St. Paul: West.

Sterck, J. G., Ritskes-Hoitinga J., & Beynen, A. C. (1992). Inhibitory effect of high protein intake on nephrocalcinogenesis in female rats. British Journal of Nutrition, 67 (2), 223-233.

Tarnopolsky, M. A., Atkinson, S. A., MacDougall, J. D., Chesley, A., Phillips, S., & Schwarcz, H. P. (1992). Evaluation of protein requirements for trained strength athletes. Journal of Applied Physiology, 73, 1986-1995.

Tarnopolsky, M. A., MacDougall, J. D., Atkinson, S. A., Blimkie, C., & Sale, D. (1986). Dietary protein requirements for body builders vs. sedentary controls [Abstract]. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 18, S64.

Tesch, P. A. (1992). Training for bodybuilding. In: P. V. Komi (Ed.), Strength and power in sport (pp. 370-380). Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Science.

Ullrich, I. H., Reid, C. M., & Yeater, R. A. (1987). Increased HDL-cholesterol levels with a weight-lifting program. Southern Medical Journal, 80 (3), 328-331.

Vega, F. & Jackson, R. T. (1995). Dietary habits of body builders and other regular exercisers. Nutrition Research, 16 (1), 3-10.

Walberg, J. L., Leedy, M. K., Sturgill, D. J., Hinkle, D. E., Ritchey, S. J., & Sebolt, D. R. (1988). Macronutrient content of a hypoenergy diet affects nitrogen retention and muscle function in weightlifters. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 9, 261-266.

Wallace, M. B., Moffatt, R. J., Haymes, E. M., & Green, N. R. (1991). Acute effects of resistance exercise on parameters of protein metabolism. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 23 (2), 199-204.

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    "Despite what is written in muscle magazines, there is little reason to consume more than 1 gram/lb., IF long as caloric intake is high enough (this is a big if for many people). There is a limit to how much muscle protein can be synthesized in a given time period, and eating more protein is simply converted to glucose."

-- http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...ne-diet-02.htm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hemants
    yes.. this is of course wut i meant.

u can absorb the protein.. but u can't assimilate ALL of it towards building muscle.

eating more protein than you need does not cause your body to grow any more muscle than if you would have eaten AT your limit. it's just overkill, and will get broken down by body and partioned into different nutrients.. like carbs, as mentioned before.. or in a very inefficient process, to fat.

i like how there are so many people who want facts/data saying that you don't need 1g/1lb... yet where are THEIR facts saying that you do?

and also.. wut about the fact that protein synthesis slows after about 48 hours after working out.. does this justify taking in copious amounts of protein? as if.. the mere presence of protein will "kickstart" your body into building more muscle?

your body's main goal is homeostasis, and it will never allow too much of anything to get put to use in that way, because it will throw everything out of balance.. there is always some kind of regulation as to how much of a certain process you can accomplish. there are limits to protein intake, where above a certain point you will receive no further benefits.
    Last edited by TiGeR AK; 03-09-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiVision
    "Despite what is written in muscle magazines, there is little reason to consume more than 1 gram/lb., IF long as caloric intake is high enough (this is a big if for many people). There is a limit to how much muscle protein can be synthesized in a given time period, and eating more protein is simply converted to glucose."

-- http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...ne-diet-02.htm
    Yes, converted to glucose and utilized, not wasted. Again, most people would rather err on the side of caution and get more than less. Of coarse calories are the most important factor. IMO.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    Yes, converted to glucose and utilized, not wasted. Again, most people would rather err on the side of caution and get more than less. Of coarse calories are the most important factor. IMO.
    Depends what you mean by "wasted." The nitrogen is wasted, so what you're intaking as protein isn't all used as protein. I understand erring on the side of caution, but the only result of eating ridiculuous amounts of protein will be liver/kidney damage. It makes a lot more sense to get as close as possible to a properly balanced diet, while still giving yourself a slight margin for error. The idea some posters have that "the more protein the better" is just dangerous.

I suspect anyone who claims to need 2g/lb/day isn't getting enough calories from other sources and their body is making up for it by breaking down protein.

1g of protein per pound of LBM IS erring on the side of caution.

Wannabebig Member

and also.. wut about the fact that protein synthesis slows after about 48 hours after working out.. does this justify taking in copious amounts of protein? as if.. the mere presence of protein will "kickstart" your body into building more muscle?
    great great great point!! Now stay with me here,... you are right, extra protein 48 hrs. after a (one) workout will probably not be needed as much as the 48 prior hours.

The smoking gun in this whole argument?

The fact that people like me workout different body parts a good 5 times a week! Not only that,... but my weight lifting is pretty intense,... From what I know, I'm doing alot of muscle damage in all my workouts (otherwise, I don't go).

Now if you aren't working out intensely and working out often thru-out the week, then this info isin't for you. Stick to your low-protein intake views.... but if you do workout intensely (and if you're into body building, why wouldn't you...?),...then tell me what you think of an exerpt from this website (AST) and the doctors and nutritionists they reference that have no ties to them ( like 2. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 5:43-45 2002.)... are they just blowing smoke up our _____'s ??....

How Much Protein? Intake Article, only a week old.
    Factors that influence protein requirements . . .
    Exactly how much protein a bodybuilder needs to optimize muscle growth is not easy to determine. Individual goals, energy (calorie) intake and exercise intensity, duration and type, as well as training history, gender and age all shape a personís protein requirements.[3] In all honesty, I doubt whether scientists will ever be able to calculate the exact amount of protein each individual requires Ė a testimony to how complex human physiology really is.

However, always remember that the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for protein (0.8grams/kg/day) does not recognize any increased protein need for a physically active lifestyle.[5] Recent scientific evidence on physically active individuals indicates that regular exercise increases daily protein requirements by as much as 100%, thatís double the RDA.[9-12] Even so, protein requirements during intense exercise training have not been investigated adequately. Most scientists in the field of protein metabolism now grudgingly admit that protein requirements to optimize results from intense training may be much higher than previously suspected.1,2

Dieting . . .

For almost 50 years it has been known that energy (calorie) restriction leads to increased dietary protein needs.[6] To maintain low body fat levels, most bodybuilders and bodyshapers restrict their energy intake, particularly their intake of carbohydrates. Carbohydrate is the most important fuel, it powers effective exercise training. The less carbohydrate that is available for energy, the greater the breakdown of muscle tissue during and after exercise.[7] Any person that trains intensely and restricts their energy intake is going to need a whole lotta protein!

Exercise frequency, type and intensity . . .
    Any increase in exercise intensity or frequency also causes an increased need for protein.[8] Any time you up the intensity or frequency of your weight training or cardio sessions, your protein requirements will increase.[3] People who are unaccustomed to intense training will breakdown greater amounts of lean tissue.9 Therefore, the protein needs of a novice bodybuilder are probably even greater than that of a veteran bodybuilder.[10]

Isotope tracer studies reveal the reason for increased protein requirements from resistance exercise are not due to an increased need for fuel. Rather, these increased needs are the result of changes in muscle protein synthesis rates and the need to maintain greater overall amounts of lean tissue (which is why people have diets days after workouts with relatively high amounts of protein).10,11

Protein and muscle growth . . .

One of the most important findings in exercise biochemistry for the last 50-years is the confirmation that blood amino acid concentrations dictate muscle growth.[4] A high concentration of amino acids in the blood is essential for stimulating muscle protein synthesis rates. A high protein intake (above 1.5g/kg/day) is needed to maintain a high concentration of amino acids in the blood and stimulate muscle protein synthesis. This anabolic effect is not seen with lower (normal) protein intakes.[4]

Recent strength training research has shown that blood amino acid levels decline dramatically after a workout, even in athletes that consume a relatively high protein intake of 1.26 grams of protein per kg of body weight per day.[15] When blood amino acid levels drop, muscle building rates diminish. A high protein intake is essential for maximizing the anabolic effect of resistance training.

Are high protein intakes safe?

High protein intakes do not harm a healthy body. Several studies demonstrate that protein intakes (up to three times the RDA) cause no harm to healthy people.[1-4] In fact, protein intakes above the RDA appear to enhance health. Excess protein and amino intake is shown to be harmless in healthy people. Therefore, to ensure results from intense training, it is a far smarter strategy to consume more protein than to senselessly restrict protein intake.[2]>>>>>>
    Last edited by RomeoJunior; 03-10-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Banned
    ^that's some great info..

but doesn't that website sell supplements?

i tend to be on the skeptical side of websites looking to make a profit on supplements, and having information encouraging increased intake of protein/supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by RomeoJunior
    However, always remember that the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for protein (0.8grams/kg/day) does not recognize any increased protein need for a physically active lifestyle.[5] Recent scientific evidence on physically active individuals indicates that regular exercise increases daily protein requirements by as much as 100%, thatís double the RDA.[9-12]
    Keep in mind, the RDA number is per kilogram of bodyweight, not per pound.

2.2lbs to a kilogram.

Let's round for simplicity and say that means the RDA recommends roughly 1gram of protein per 2lbs of bodyweight. The convention of 1gram per pound for weightlifters IS twice the RDA recommendation.

i tend to be on the skeptical side of websites looking to make a profit on supplements, and having information encouraging increased intake of protein/supplements.
    Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    I agree that 1g per lb is just more of a convenience thing, but it work for most people. I think that 1g per lb of LBM is more important, but since most people don't know exactly what that is, we just do it the ole' fashoned way.
    :withstupi
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300