The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    :withstupi

x2

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeR AK

i like how there are so many people who want facts/data saying that you don't need 1g/1lb... yet where are THEIR facts saying that you do?

There's extensive research showing that the gr per pound rule is the point where you start maintaining a positive nitrogen balance. Of course, someones who repeats garbage like this quote of yours below probably knows nothing about this....

"like they say.. only about 25-30 g of protein can be absorbed per sitting.. every 3 hours. the rest will just come right out.

Do you have any kind of logical reasoning (because I know you can't have anything that can even remotely qualify as evidence) to support this?

personally I think u just experiment and find out what works for yourself,

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill
    personally I think u just experiment and find out what works for yourself,
    I agree..if something works for you, stay with it..

Wannabebig Member
    I might be in trouble. I had like 300g+ protein today. 2 big Chicken Sandwhices, 1 Meal Replacement Shake, 2 Chicken Breasts, 1 Turkey Wrap and what ever protein came from the eggs, etc

Quote Originally Posted by meister
    I might be in trouble. I had like 300g+ protein today. 2 big Chicken Sandwhices, 1 Meal Replacement Shake, 2 Chicken Breasts, 1 Turkey Wrap and what ever protein came from the eggs, etc
    Uh, why would you be in trouble?
    Last edited by smalls; 02-02-2005 at 10:27 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

What's missing from this thread is a discussion on how the body adapts to high and low protein intakes. There is a reason some can consume much less than others and still make and retain gains: the rate of protein turnover in the body.

When a lot of protein is consumed, the body will increase protein breakdown.

When protein intake is lowered for a period of time, the body adapts and lowers the rate of protein breakdown, so a balance is retained.

Read here http://www.karlloren.com/diet/p51.htm

"The body has several potential mechanisms by which it can attempt to maintain protein stores. Arguably the primary method, other than growth, is via alterations in the rate of AA oxidation (17,43). When the intake of an AA is below what is required for maximal growth, oxidation of that AA remains low (43). When human AA intake is in excess of requirements, oxidation is increased. This adaptive response has been demonstrated in several studies on humans, with oxidation increasing or decreasing in response to high- or low-AA intakes (3-7).

In a study involving weight training, subjects received either 1.3 g/kg or 2 g/kg of protein per day (41). In the high protein group, AA oxidation was increased by 150% above normal levels. In addition, while there was no change in protein synthesis or breakdown in the low protein group, the high protein group increased synthesis by 105% and breakdown by 107%. Despite this increase in AA oxidation, there was a significant amount of lean body mass gained, approximately 3 lbs over a 4 week span, further supporting the concept that AA oxidation is not the negative it has been made out to be."

"In humans, similar results occur: with increased protein intake, there is an overall increase in protein synthesis and breakdown. With decreased protein intake, protein synthesis and breakdown eventually fall so that the body can reattain balance (45,46). Ultimately this reflects an overall decrease in protein turnover (21). In a sense, AAs within the body are being more efficiently reutilized since there is decreased breakdown and oxidation."
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 02-03-2005 at 11:59 AM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

The question of protein ingestion is a complex one indeed from a physiological perspective. That is why relying on individual studies can be misleading.

In the end game I know that the biggest and strongest men in the world have always consumed more protein than the average individual. Two of the biggest and strongest natural lifters ever were Doug Hepburn and Paul Anderson. Both men were know for their ingestion of huge quantities of milk.

All of the powerlifters we sponsor use large quantities of protein of their own choice. We do not encourage it, they want it. In fact, they sought us out in order to be able to afford the protein intake they need on a daily basis.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!