Thread: Bad spotter?

Bad spotter?

Ok, after about two weeks of lagging on the same weight for bench press (going up a few reps but that's it), I blamed it all on the fact every friday night I'd gone out drinking/partying/dancing.. so I was still outta it from the night before. So today, after not going out last night, I warm up quick, toss on my normal weight, and add another five just for the hell. Grab a spotter, and do it.. more reps then I normally do, and not to failure like normal. So, I take off that five, and toss on twenty in it's place.. and do the same amount on my next rep with that spotter. (7 reps) So, my third turn comes, and I keep the same weight but grab a different spotter just for the hell.. go down once and almost don't get it up. Did four more reps, with him just keeping it steady and then I'm done. And I feel the same way I normally do, a little worn out. Unlike I had on the first two sets.

So.. what do you think? Did I actually make any gains today, or did I just have a spotter that was helping me out a little too much? I normally go without a spotter except someone I ask to 'watch that I don't get it stuck on me. If I do, take your time and help me out whenever you finish your own set', so I ain't really sure how much a spotter should be helping me out.

B.
    LaLa

Your spotter should not be lifting any of the wieght unless you told them you wanted to do forced reps or negatives. Next time keep the same spotter and explain to them exactly what you want done.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

For real, you were probably lifting the weight you originally had on the bar before you added the 20 lbs. Don't let spotters help you; they are basically there to make sure you dont drop the weight on yourself. Unless you are doing forced reps, negatives, etc. like getin bigger said.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    The spotter shouldn't have his hands on the bar until the bar is crushing at least two organs.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!