The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Cutting Guide

Cutting Guide

It seems to me that many questions can be answered with a simple cutting guide. If anyone has anything to add tell me and I'll add it. Thank you dxiw for your input. Mods, it would be cool if this was stickied...

The only way to lose fat is to burn more calories than take in each day. But going too low is also bad because your metabolism slows down. Everyone's metabolism is different so everyone's caloric needs are also different. The general starting point for someone on a cutting diet is their body weight in lbs times 12. Now you want to be losing one to two lbs a week and you need to adjust your caloric intake accordingly. It is only a starting point after all. If you're not losing enough, try lowering your intake by one or two hundred calories. If you're losing too much eat an extra one or two hundred calories until you're losing one to two lbs a week. Also keep in mind the amount of activity you do each day. If you play three hours of sports every other day, then you should probably eat bit more those days. Cardiovascular exercise is also vital to weight loss, I recommend cardio atleast every day you do not lift weights for atleast 30 min. If you do cardio on workout days, always do it after lifting. Look into HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) for an aweomse fat burning cardio exercise. HIIT in brief boosts your metabolism to burn more calories even when you're not doing anything. A typical HIIT workout is between 5 and 15 minutes depending on your level.

There are three different types of calories: fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. Fats contain 9 calories per gram while carbs and proteins contain 4 calories per gram. For a typical diet, your calories should come 40% from fat, 30% from carbs, and 30% from protein. So to figure out how many grams you need of each every day, multiply your calorie intake by .4 or .3 respectively and divide it by 9 or 4 respectively. I'm sure you've heard of the myth about all fat being bad. That is not true. Saturated fat is not good for you high amounts leads to heart problems such as heart disease. You want to keep your saturated fat to make up 15% or less of your total fat intake. You want to avoid high GI carb for the most part such as white bread, white rice, and juice. Instead eat lower GI carbs such as wheat bread and brown rice. Fruits like Apples, Grapes, Pears, Plums, Bananas, Mangos, and Oranges. When it comes to protein, imo acutal food is better than shakes and supplements. I like meats, nuts, and dairy are generally good sources of protein. When you eat protein you need to make sure it does not have high amounts of saturated fat like beef, bacon, pepperoni for example. Vegetables are also great to eat. They're low in calories, high in fiber and nutrients and they fill you up. Also pay certain attention to serving size, there are often a lot more calories in things than you think.

Once you've figured out how many calories you need each day and where they need to be coming from, you need to make a diet that you can stick to. I try to eat five to six meals a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Some people like to eat something right before they sleep as well. I suggest eating something high in carbs before workouts for energy and then something lower in carbs afterwards and more high in protein. I also try to eat more carbs in the morning and afternoon than at night. You need the carbs in the morning when your body hasn't had any calories within the last six to eight hours to help your sugar level rise. This will help you think better and give you more energy. Also try not to eat too many carbs before going to sleep since you don't need many carbs when you're sleeping. But if you can't that's okay. Most people tend to have problems with eating enough fat. Try flax seed oil and peanuts to help with fat intake. That pretty much sums it up.

In short:
    -BWx12 in calories
    -Create a diet you'll follow
    -Adjust you calories until you're losing one to two lbs a week
    -Avoid saturated fats
    -Avoid high GI carbs like white bread, rice, juice
    -Turn to low GI carbs like most fruits
    -Do cardio days you don't workout or HIIT
    -Be commited and take pictures

If you're looking for ideas for cutting diets search the forums and the web. Also use www.fitday.com as a tool to help you keep track of your calories, weight, and overall progress. The hardest part about dieting is sticking to it. Take a picture of yourself every week or so and you can really see the difference. Losing fat is a rather slow process and takes tim and commitment. If you need to, go ahead and cheat on a meal or a day once a week but try not to. Find a way to measure your body fat by either buying a scale which does so or an Accu Measure Fat Caliper.

This guide I have written shouldn't be your only source of information, it should only be used as a the starting point for for your cutting diet and weight loss. There are also many different diets that you can follow to lose fat. This is the diet that has been working on me and is simple and relatively easy for anyone to follow with some commitment. You must remember that people vary greatly, what works for one person won't always work for someone else so you will need to adjust your diet according to your body. Good luck!
    Last edited by Deathwish; 03-11-2004 at 01:32 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

def sticky this one

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

No comments nothing? Come on someone has to have something to say!

The only problem I see is that different people benefit differently from the same cutting scheme.

For example:

Galileo had good results with UD2.

Severed Ties gets good results from Ice Cream.

Yeah, there are some general guidelines, but people need to learn what works best for them.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Some saturated fat is needed if you like having testosterone in your system. And people *do* vary a lot, like Patty said (i.e. some people need to watch their carbs more than others). Otherwise, that looks good.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned veggies. Low in calories, high in fibre, contain vitamins and minerals and they fill you up. Green leafy veggies like broccoli and spinach are also pretty good sources of protein.

Patty, scott, and gimp make excellent points.

There are definitely general guidelines, but I don't think you touched on many of the important ones. I'm taking the next semester of grad school off, so perhaps I'll throw together something.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Agreed. We could get into calorie/carb cycling/refeeds, thermic effect of food, cardio timing/manipulation, etc. Perhaps I'll join Gal in his effort. It's been a while since I've really put my thoughts to paper/keyboard.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Ok, I see you've updated your guide a little. I'll comment on a few of your bulleted points.

- 40/30/30 is not the ideal split. In fact, there is hardly an ideal split at all. It's very dependent on the person's individual traits.
    - Saturated fats should make up 15% of your total fat intake for the day.
    - Contrary to popular belief, wheat bread and brown rice both cause a significant insulin reaction. White rice is a 110 on the glycemic index and brown rice is 104. You really really need to specify on what fruits are "good." There are a lot of fruits that are high in fiber and minerals, but there are an equal number that are quite high in sugar. [http://www.mendosa.com/insulin_index.htm] If you were writing a bulking guide, I'd consider the GI recommendations more suitable.
    - I wouldn't start performing cardio until I got a handle on my diet. How do you know if you're dieting properly, if you're using cardio as a crutch? Start off slow and and you'll get the same results, because you can correct your errors more easily.

I know you want this to be stickied, but it honestly just doesn't contain any information that isn't repeated on here, right or wrong, every week. As Borris stated, there are a lot of important factors involved in cutting. Aside from the ones he has mentioned, there is manipulating insulin sensitivity, vitamin/mineral effects on weight loss, and plenty more. The only people who need cutting guides are those who need to use a lot of these options or complete beginners.

Grasshoppa
    Also, the 40/30/30 split that gets tossed around a lot is usually 40% protein instead of fat.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

-BWx12 in calories
    for me that would be 4200. But i am eating on average 2400-2600 per day. This would not apply to me because i am so overweight that i need to lose alot of weight correct? i just do see how uping my caloric intake could make me lose more weight.

those are general calculations and tend to work best for people who are less overweight. ideally, you would calculate the caloric needs for your LBM and base your diet on that value. The equations for calculating calorie needs are not very accurate. They do not account for daily activity. IMO, on a cutting diet you should loose between 1-2 lb per week unless you are very overweight.
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by ogarchamplin
    for me that would be 4200. But i am eating on average 2400-2600 per day. This would not apply to me because i am so overweight that i need to lose alot of weight correct? i just do see how uping my caloric intake could make me lose more weight.
    Going to assume the "do" in the last sentence was meant to be "don't". Basically, it depends. But, if you're severely undereating, your metabolism goes into starvation mode and becomes very impaired. It slows down to compensate for the absence of the calories that it is used to you popping in your mouth. Severely undereating applies to everyone. You don't want to drop calories very drastically just because you think you're so overweight it doesn't matter. You run the risk of a lot of LBM loss. Also, when you do start eating more again, there will be a period where your body starts storing a lot as fat in anticipation of you starving yourself to a great degree once again.

But the calculation presented is more a suggestion than anything. It all comes down to how your body reacts. I usually start at 12xBW and if I'm not losing around a pound a week after a week or two, adjust it from there by lowering my daily caloric intake. Same can be said for a bulking cycle. I start at maybe 15-16xBW and adjust until I'm gaining a pound or so per week. Don't get caught in the 'starving is good' trap. It's all about moderation and adjusting.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    I know you want this to be stickied, but it honestly just doesn't contain any information that isn't repeated on here, right or wrong, every week. As Borris stated, there are a lot of important factors involved in cutting. Aside from the ones he has mentioned, there is manipulating insulin sensitivity, vitamin/mineral effects on weight loss, and plenty more. The only people who need cutting guides are those who need to use a lot of these options or complete beginners.
    I wrote this because as I post on the boards, I have found that I am often repeating myself mostly to complete beginners. People that weren't complete wouldn't need to hear much of what's in the guide. Maybe calling it a beginner's guide to cutting would be more appropriate?

so would my meal plan today a good percentages?

Calories Eaten Today
    source grams cals %total
    Total: 2489
    Fat: 54 490 20%
    Sat: 15 139 6%
    Poly: 13 118 5%
    Mono: 17 149 6%
    Carbs: 259 943 39%
    Fiber: 23 0 0%
    Protein: 243 974 40%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%

ogarchamplin - u have been doing great - keep it up don't change ur diet

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

:withstupi
    keep up what youre doing ogarchamplin it is working well
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

ogarchamplin - You are doin good with what you're doin. Although I personally would probably up the fat a little and lower the carb. But what you're doin is working so don't change if you don't want to.