The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bulking and other diet info...

***I'll post my personal stats at the end of this message.***
    Hi

I understand that "BULKING" is just eating enough food so that you gain weight. I also understand that I should try to gain between .5 and 1 lbs per week.

What I don't understand is:

I assume I should begin by bulking... What is a good starting point for bulking?

How long/far should I go with bulking?

Is "CUTTING" the exact opposite of bulking? (losing about a pound per week?)

When do I bulk, and when do I cut?

Is it allways either bulk or cut? I thought I saw something about maintaining somewhere.

What is "clean and dirty" bulking?

I see a formula in some other posts that looks like this:
    40/40/20 <---what's this? I assume it means a percentage of the food intake, but have't figured it out exactly.

Ok, I think that I could make a good start if I knew the answers to those questions above. Here are my stats and goals:

Male
    5'9" tall
    159.2 lbs (butt naked)
    13% bodyfat (according to one of those electronic bathroom scales)

I am a karate instructor, and I am learning how to shootfight (kickboxing/grappling)...so I am very active.

My goals are:
    #1 to increase in size, #2 increase strength.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
    Last edited by jch216; 03-10-2004 at 05:47 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you need to first find out how many cals you need to maintain (BMR + Activity) and then to bulk add and to cut subtract. Remember that a pound of fat is 3500 cals, so to lose 1lb of fat a week you need to take in 500 less per day (500x7=3500), the opposite is true with bulking, to gain 1lb a week of muscle go over by 1600/7 (1 pound of muscle is 1600cals) every day..

not to difficult..
    the split like 30/40/30 is how much percent from each macronutrient

for example a 30/40/30 is 30% fat 40% carb 30% prot, meaning that say you want to eat 2500 cals a day, 750 cals fat, 1000 cals carbs, 750 cals protein... because fat is 9cal/g while carb and prot are 4cal/g that adds to:
    83g fat 250g carb 188g protein for the 30/40/30 on 2500 cals...see its not that confusing..haha

assuming you don't want to/can't calculate bmr+activity good starting guidelines are BWx12 for cutting BWx15 for maintenance and BWx18 for bulk...now you ppl under age 25 have higher metabolisms so their bulk is more like BWx20-25... add any calories from cardio in too...

one last thing - if you want a good point to start, do BWx18 for a week, if you gain less than a pound..bump up 200 cals..then try another week..keep bumping up till reach desired goals..personally i like to gain 2lb a week

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw