The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Owner of lots of pets ;)

Shaking when lifting.. strength problem?

Ok this is my first post here... I've finally gotten into working out for a lot of reasons, mainly I'm just too weak and want to become a sexy looking guy

I'm 16, 5'6-7", 132 pounds and am very very weak. Holding a gallon of milk causes my arm to shake when lifting it to put it in the fridge and it's noticable to people and obviously bothers me. Not just milk of course, anything within that kinda range causes that part of me lifting to shake.

This also happens when I'm leg pressing weights. I can press an alright amount of weight but I still shake when I do it.

What I'm wondering is if this is a muscle problem like not being toned enough or just not having enough muscle to make such tasks easy. Basically my body fat goes right to my gut and my arms are very small because of my genes and not working out/eating enough.

I asked my doctor about it and he thought it seemed regular from what I had told him but it's not and people notice it and tell me about it. Do you think this is something that would go away if I just got stronger muscles or could it be a real problem I need to take medicine for?

Also, I'm going light working out right now, using 10lbs dumbbells on each arm just to build up slowly. I don't shake a lot then, but it is still happening a bit. Is it a bad idea to keep lifting if my arms are shaking like this? It makes me think I could tear something.. however I have never torn anything lifting before.

Eh, another thing I should mention is if I'm really angry or in real fear of something my leg starts to shake extremely bad. It's a really weird instinct about me and I hope I can fix it easily.

Thanks, sorry for the lengthy post but I figure it's the best way to get a good answer.

Cheers
    I'm new to the community ;D
    Hoping to contribute just as much as I learn
    If you're having a hard time emotionally, whatever it might be, gimme a PM. Always happy to help a bro out

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've always associated shaking with weakness. For example, I have weak abdominals, and when crunching I shake like I have parkinsons.

Often people shake directly after a hard workout, when their central nervous system is fried.

The shaking does not seem to have done you any harm so far so I would not think it was a big problem, especially if your new to working out. Once you get stronger your body should adapt to be stronger and cope with heavier and heavier weights.

If you have never worked out before I would strongly suggest you go into lifting slowly, giving yourself something like the first 2 months to let your CNS get used to this type of activity (if lifting to failure). I went in two times a week and did a full body workout, with one or two sets per bodypart.
    Last edited by Exnor; 03-01-2004 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MmmmTunaaa
    Basically my body fat goes right to my gut and my arms are very small because of my genes and not working out/eating enough.
    It has nothing to do with your genes, and everything to do with not working out...

my legs shake when I do leg extensions....
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 03-01-2004 at 07:40 AM.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've had people laugh at me in the gym because of my shaking. The worst is after calf workouts, but it also happens to me sometimes during bench press, leg press, and ham curls, too.
    LOL, if I don't put the clips on the bar, the plates start rattling with each other. sometimes it sounds cool. other times I just feel like a gimp.

I've always shaken a lot too, but since I've been working out seriously it doesn't happen very often.

I used to shake when doing pushups even though I could do 60 reps. I haven't done pushups in a while but I notice with weights I don't shake at all anymore.

When you work out make sure to use free weights and not machines and I think it will lessen and possibly go away entirely.

Country Boy
    I had the same problem when I started wrking out; use less weight an see if the shaking is as bad.I'm sure thats not what you'd wanna hear but it helped me.And we all gotta start somewhere.

When I first started bench pressing my friend used to find it amusing how much the bar use to shake when I was doing it. It's fine now, I just think your body needs to get used to the weight being put on it.

oh and welcome

I guess I will add my 2 cents on this as well, Here is why I have come to know as to why you shake in the beginning and do not end up shaking in the end.

to put it simply nerves control how hard you can flex = how much pressure you can create. well you brain controls this function in the begging you Brain is not used to giving this command to your muscles so you are not firing on all cylinders so to speak. As you do it more you mind to muscle link becomes stronger and you are able to lift more with out your body really change much in size or shape because now you mind to muscle link is connected in full. Just my 2 cents

good luck
    Being small with Neuromuscular strength is good but being BIG with Neuromuscular strength is better!

by the way the ability to lift more with the full mind to muscle link is called Neuromuscular strength.
    Being small with Neuromuscular strength is good but being BIG with Neuromuscular strength is better!

I've found that after lifting for a while I no longer shake. My abs used to be weak and now that they are stronger I no longer shake.

If you are hoping to get bigger, don't forget to EAT more, especially protein. I think you want to at least eat 1g of protein per lb you weigh. Most people say 1.25 but that might be overkill. It should be spread out throughout the day also, not just all at once. Eating more meals throughout the day (smaller though) is also better. As an example, this is what I eat:

1: All Bran/protein shake
    2: Carrots, 1 cup cottage cheese, 5 triscuits
    3: Turkey Sandwich/protein shake
    4: same as 2
    5: dinner, whatever i feel like. Has to have protein
    pre-workout protein shake with some sugar
    post-workout shake with sugar
    6: something with protein... some peanuts or something

Basically what you have to figure out is meals 1, 2, 3, and 4. I eat the same thing everyday. If that bothers you, switch it up.

Just one last rep!
    I've been working out for a few years and notice that in abs in particular. If I have not done crunches for say a week then the first set I will shake a lot. Once warmed up I don't shake any more.

Shaking in some exercises is also a balance thing. For example on standing calf raises with the whole stack on last reps my mid section will shake. Mainly trying to stabalize the weight on my shoulders.

As you get stronger the shaking will reduce. Everyone was weak once, don't worry about it.

I agree with Paladyr, your nutrition will make probably the biggest impact on your workouts.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I really don't give a **** I'm gonna eat em both!
    Height: 69" Weight: 205 BF% about 15
    Chest: 47 Biceps: 16.5
    Waist: 34 Thigh: 26
    Calves: 16.5 Neck: 16.25
    Wrist: 7 Ankle: 8.5
    Main Supplements are: Various proteins (200-250g/day) Aminos, Glutamine, Creatine, Vitamins. Best way to put on muscle? Lift as heavy as possible. Consume lots of protein and carbs around workout. Biggest weakness is hamstring and lower back. Working on DL.

Journal in progress

Paladyr

would you mind telling me, how much bran do your eat in the morning, and what ngredients does your protain shake have in the morning,

what about post-workout shake with sugar ( what else beside sugar do you put there?)

by the way what is bran... where can i find it ?

thank you

Wleon

all-bran is a cereal

All-Bran
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Strider2
    all-bran is a cereal

All-Bran

roger. It tastes okay... good enough I can choke it down. I had to go with grape nuts this week b/c they were out of all bran. I just have a small bowl, like a serving. Protein shakes are nothing more than whey protein and nestle quick . Probably not the best source of sugar but me likes it .

I read somewhere your body needs fast burning carbs right after a workout so I usually only add it to the post workout shake, but sometimes to the pre-workout if i'm feeling sluggish that day.

I never used to shake but since i have increased the amount i lift i have begun shaking while doing incline presses, militarys etc. Now that i think about it it only happens if my arms are locked out, ie the weight is at the top of the press movement and my joints are taking the weight while i take a few breaths. Also experience it near the end of a long workout, maybe its some kind of nervous system thing. I dont worry bout it anyways. As for the shaking when you get angry and that, im sure it happens to everyone, just a mad surge of adrenaline, happens to me if im anticipating a fight situation.

and LOL at : if I don't put the clips on the bar, the plates start rattling with each other. sometimes it sounds cool. other times I just feel like a gimp

edit: and how do you do that quote **** where u can select a portion of someone elses post and its in a different coloured box?
    Last edited by Growth; 03-09-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Growth
    edit: and how do you do that quote **** where u can select a portion of someone elses post and its in a different coloured box?
    hehe

there's a reply button on each person's message .

Grasshoppa
    I shake after a round of my depletion workouts. 3 sets of 15 for each bodypart, then I do it over a second time after a few minutes of rest. But I shake like crazy the 2nd time around.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

IMHO it has to do with development of stabalizer muscles. Keep at it and it wont shake as much. Thats why free weights are better than smith
    Something has been taken from deep inside of me
    The secret Iíve kept locked away no one can ever see
    Wounds so deep they never show they never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head for years and years theyíve played