Thread: Why is muscle and Fittness mag so bad?

Why is muscle and Fittness mag so bad?

Pretty much what the subject say. Why do people on Wannabebig.com bash muscle and fitness mag? I've posted a few times on here about things I've found in the M&F mag, and some posts I got were like....first off, burn that mag. I still read it, and it helps me stay focused on my goals as well as informs me about new foods to help build muscle. I see a lot of great excersices and good articles also. Just kind of a general discussion on why we should or shouldn't refer to a mag like M&F.

I use to read alot of the magazines back in the late 80's when I first started training. Back then, the articles were focused more at the training (at least that is how it seemed to me) and I picked up one a few months back and the magazine seemed to be nothing but an advertisement pushing all kinds of products at people. (again, just my opinion). I can say that I wont be buying any of the magazines anymore. All the information I need is easily obtained online.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Because the mag exists to sell supplements.

Because in order to continue to sell magazines, they must continue to publish information that is 'different', regardless of accuracy or effectiveness.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

There is nothing in that magazine that you couldn't get here, and at least here people are giving you advice with the interest of helping you progress, not to make you keep buying from sponsors. And it's free here too.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    The mags are not that bad at all actually.

They have ben loaded with tons and advertisements and each have like the same three articles on muscle tech supplements, cel tech, nitro tech and hydroxycut, but weider has some sort of contract with thme and tehy pay to have there ad's in the mags and this tends to piss people off.

another thing is that they usually post routines of the pro's who are all juiced up, and non juiced beginners try these advanced routines and they cant handle them and they overtrain and dont get results or hurt themselves, and for expeirienced people this tends to make them mad.

but they usually have good nutrition and supplementation articles, i have no beef with the mags. just dont follow the pros routines. everynow and then they'll have a good routine for a begining lifter.

also i think it is so easy to bash the mags,

if u like reading them keep doing it because they often have good info and dont realy care what other people think
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Yeah, thats all I'm looking for is the honest opinions from the members of WWB. The ad's do take up a lot of space, and when I first started reading the mag, I thought they were real articles. Well, I can spot one a mile away now, and just skim right over them. But, like last months issue had a big list of bodybuilding foods. It was great and really helped me when I go to the grocery store. There is some stuff in there that seems to be hype.

I flipped through the new issue of m&f. It explains how to do squats, bb rows, and other exersises. If you're that serious about training, you should already know how to do these exersises. It's funny they put that common sense stuff in there and a bunch of ads and people buy it up like it's going to turn them into arnold. Almost every page is an ad for some supp.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Yeah. With those Magazines, how many times can you learn how to do an excercise? Like, every month, I need to learn "how to get that killer six pack"? And like seriously, I know how hydroxycut can help me by now. lol.
    "Color outside the lines"

I just tired of spending cash on the same articles over and over, and when I picked one up and read it the store a little it seemed like such a good article until i realized it was just another supplement pro mo

Quote Originally Posted by Ebu
    Yeah. With those Magazines, how many times can you learn how to do an excercise? Like, every month, I need to learn "how to get that killer six pack"? And like seriously, I know how hydroxycut can help me by now. lol.
    "4 Week routine guaranteed to blast your biceps!!!"
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    "4 Week routine guaranteed to blast your biceps!!!"
    lol, or how about the diet they have in them, with a dose of "nitro-tech" or one of the other "techs" for each meal. They have you shoveling that stuff in your mouth so much you'd be out of it in 2 days.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I personally like the "Arms 3 inches bigger in one month, Guaranteed!" covers. I thumb through them sometimes at the local bookstore over a cup of coffee, then I put them back on the rack when I'm done laughing.

Personnally, I sometimes like looking at them for motivation, kind of like where I want to be, it usually gets me pumped to have a good workout, although I don't usually buy them. Really though I usually come here, some of the pics on members pics forum are truly inspirational.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

What I really love is the nitrotech ads, with the guy looking out on the beach, and a hot chick with her hand on his ripped abs, with a look like "omg, your sooo amazing! hee hee." GAWD, those are so dumb. And the Weider ones with Gunter Skulunkadump or whatever his name is, with his thumbs up, drinking a blender full of the stuff. I would give a thumbs up with a hand full of corn filled dog sh*tt if you paid me. Lol.
    "Color outside the lines"

Basically the mags are all filler and no killer...

Haha Mass Gainer 300 or whatever that **** is with gunter....Weider should spend more money on making the advertisement on the bottle better. It looks like it's from the 80's.

And give me a break.........muscletech hasn't even come out with "mass tech" yet..and they've already gotten 5 page adverstisements for it.. tuttut