The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Bodyfat % questions

Several months ago, I picked up a Tanita (?) bodyfat scale. I've been keeping track of my progress once a week since I started back into my routine about 5 weeks ago. I started at 228 and 35% (I know, yikes). I checked it last week and I was at 224 and 31%. I felt really good about my progress in the past week, so I stepped on the scale hoping to see good improvement. I stepped on and it showed 222 and 34%. Now, I know these scales are less than accurate, but are they even close enough to use as a guideline?

I know it's possible for bodyfat to go back up, but my diet and workout routine didn't change in the last week. Can someone help me crack the bodyfat mystery?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you ask me those things fuctuate too much, I would buy some skinfold calipers, they are pretty cheap.

The way I use my calipers is I take several measurements on the measure points and then write down the lowest figure. I find if I do this I always get the measurement from the same place everytime.
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

Opinions vary widely in the matter but from my experience they're useless for measuring bodyfat, even for tracking changes.

Wannabebig Member
    That's what I was beginning to suspect. I used to go to a gym where they used a bodyfat scale and the calipers and then averaged the numbers. I guess I assumed that I could at least use the scale as a guideline.

Time to go get a set of calipers.

Wannabebig Member
    I have one of those scales, and i find generally, if i do the meausrements at the same time every day, they don't fluctuate too much. However they work my transmitting a light current from one foot to the other. So things like a dirty scale, feet and hydration level effect it. Keep the scale clean, and clean your feet before you step on it, and do it at the same time each day, see if it fluctuates less.

Occasionally i'll step on it with socks and my BF will be like 34, then when i take my socks off, it's down to about 26 or 24.

Many posts about that. I had the same issue. I had another scale that said I was 197@21BF%. I ended up at 175@12BF%. The scale started acting up so I bought a Tanita. The Tanita says I am 175@21BF%. I decided to trust the scales for weight only. Some argue they are accurate, but if they were, then why would they make an Athlete Model? Also, the scale manuals themselves have a warning that Bodybuilders should not use them. Well at least mine did.