The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Bicep size on its own, disregard rest of arm

My arms hadnt moved from 13 inches in 2 months, but are slowly creeping up now that im tricep thumping

So is it possible ive reached the biggest size my actual bicep can currently be??? Im not saying this in an arrogant way, just an ignorant one.. Cos i really work my arms a lot and i figure ill turn down the heat if they are going to be twats (Ronnie coleman says he only trains his once a month)

From the inside arm seperation line when flexed to the approx point on the other side, its 7 inches... If anyone can be assed can you post yours??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Eat.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

from what I've read over and over again, the body does not want to grow disproportionately. By growing your triceps and forearms, you will increase the potential your bicep can grow... also doing large pulling motions that involve the back will overload the biceps more than just doing isolation movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Allyrulez
    My arms hadnt moved from 13 inches in 2 months, but are slowly creeping up now that im tricep thumping

So is it possible ive reached the biggest size my actual bicep can currently be??? Im not saying this in an arrogant way, just an ignorant one.. Cos i really work my arms a lot and i figure ill turn down the heat if they are going to be twats (Ronnie coleman says he only trains his once a month)

From the inside arm seperation line when flexed to the approx point on the other side, its 7 inches... If anyone can be assed can you post yours??

Whoa, whoa, I think you have gotten way ahead of yourself.

How do you train?

What do you eat?

How old are you?

How tall?

What do you weigh?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hey i know im only a beginner, not thinking im super awesome to the max or something

Training, 3/4 day split (never the same, but sensible rules (ie 48 hrs break each bodypart)) and 5k/~22min run everyday, 2 5ks on off day... ~200gms protein per day, fats from peanuts (cinema packets of peanut M&Ms/peanut spread) & the rest from wherever.. Thou very reduced carbs (im mildly carb intolerant)

I run a lot because ive got a problem with sweets, i just cant stop eating when i start lol... And no i dont cry and rock back and forth with chocolate all over my face

I weigh ~158lbs, 5"9, 22 yearsold

Sorry thats over the top info, im just casually wondering, not in bicep forsaken torment
    Last edited by Allyrulez; 03-09-2004 at 03:45 PM.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Well the arm is 2/3 tricep...

If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things.

Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge.

Comparing yourself to others is a major reason people work out. You think you would feel the urge to lift if you lived isolated on a desert island??

I work my ass off at the gym, just i would like to spend my time there efficiently, and not waste effort which i may be doing with my biceps

Start shoving food down your throat. At 158 pounds you shouldn't expect to have much more than 13" arms. If you eat a decent size meal every 2 hours and get on a good mass building routine then you will be much more proud of your body.

Also, stop worrying about your arm size. They'll grow over time, just work on getting all around bigger. Other than the fact that it's kind of "unhealthy" (see that recent interview on this site), you'll look much better and much bigger when your whole body is big and not just your arms. Having a big back and big traps is really impressive and toothpick legs look terrible.

Also, 5k runs every day, sometimes 2 a day when you're trying to get bigger? You've got to be kidding. That's more than my coach had us doing this year in cross country when he had the whole team overtraining. I know this is going to be hard to do (it was for me, too), but you have to make a decision. If you want to get bigger you can't run nearly that much.

In conclusion: eat and work on heavy compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    Start shoving food down your throat. At 158 pounds you shouldn't expect to have much more than 13" arms. If you eat a decent size meal every 2 hours and get on a good mass building routine then you will be much more proud of your body.

Also, stop worrying about your arm size. They'll grow over time, just work on getting all around bigger. Other than the fact that it's kind of "unhealthy" (see that recent interview on this site), you'll look much better and much bigger when your whole body is big and not just your arms. Having a big back and big traps is really impressive and toothpick legs look terrible.

Also, 5k runs every day, sometimes 2 a day when you're trying to get bigger? You've got to be kidding. That's more than my coach had us doing this year in cross country when he had the whole team overtraining. I know this is going to be hard to do (it was for me, too), but you have to make a decision. If you want to get bigger you can't run nearly that much.

In conclusion: eat and work on heavy compounds.

Hey, thanks for the in-depthing man

Yeah i know ive got to make that running decision soon, its something ive been dreading.. I just cant bear having more fat, i spent all my teens feeling ****ty like that.. Ill feel it out some more then bite the bullet if thats what it takes thou

Ok, how heavy were you at your heaviest?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Allyrulez
    You think you would feel the urge to lift if you lived isolated on a desert island??
    I know I would and I'm dead serious.

You can regulate your weight by what you eat. You shouldn't be doing all that running if you are trying to gain weight. You do realize that long distance running like that can be catabolic?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

:withstupi

Me too. I'd get bored on a desert island.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    Ok, how heavy were you at your heaviest?
    Im at my heaviest this very second at 161lbs, i used to be 133lbs 1 1/2 years ago, but i stuffed my face all day and never did any excercise so i looked like Kermit the Frog or a fat stick (flabby, skinny *ugh*).. Now i never want any fat ever again amen

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    You can regulate your weight by what you eat. You shouldn't be doing all that running if you are trying to gain weight. You do realize that long distance running like that can be catabolic?
    I do the run in ~21 minutes, and at ~159 BPM (and on a slight incline), which from what ive read is not intense enough/long enough to start messing with your muscles, but judging by your photos you obviously know your stuff!!!

You can add muscle mass fast while keeping fat gain to a minimum when you're ~160 pounds. Running a 5k or two a day isn't the best for muscle mass, for cardio in general (there are much better ways to become good at running a 5k than running a 5k once or twice a day) and for fat loss.

If you're really serious about running and you still want to gain some weight then start shoving food down your throat and lift 4x a week and run absolutely no more than 3x a week doing HIIT or hour long cardio for a couple months. Then, go back to running 5x a week (I'd do some 3 minute hill intervals, 800m runs, sprints and long distance runs) and lifting maybe 2-3x, for a month, and then switch back.

Personally, though, I think that in the long run you'd be much better off just bulking up for a year or two with minimal running and then once you're around a weight that you're pretty satisfied with start running some again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    You can add muscle mass fast while keeping fat gain to a minimum when you're ~160 pounds. Running a 5k or two a day isn't the best for muscle mass, for cardio in general (there are much better ways to become good at running a 5k than running a 5k once or twice a day) and for fat loss.

If you're really serious about running and you still want to gain some weight then start shoving food down your throat and lift 4x a week and run absolutely no more than 3x a week doing HIIT or hour long cardio for a couple months. Then, go back to running 5x a week (I'd do some 3 minute hill intervals, 800m runs, sprints and long distance runs) and lifting maybe 2-3x, for a month, and then switch back.

Personally, though, I think that in the long run you'd be much better off just bulking up for a year or two with minimal running and then once you're around a weight that you're pretty satisfied with start running some again.

Thanks man, it seems this really is the way to go

Ive missed my 2nd run today (havent done that in a month) and am feeling kinda nervy, but i guess its all good if im building muscle.. Ill see if i can grit my teeth and waddle my way thru all the fat to some sorta musclely conclusion

Good luck, but I really don't think you'll put on much fat to be honest. Just eat clean but eat a lot.