Thread: Stick to the Basics?

Threaded View

Wannabebig Member

Stick to the Basics?

From reading the articles by Paul Stagg, he seems to emphasize keeping to the basics? What are the basics?

I am new to weight lifting, I did most calisthenics in my home (pushups, pull ups, chin ups) and I am decent at those. Last physical I took I did 11 pull ups. I am 5'10", weight about 167, got some fat on me . It seems to be going away, I cut my calorie intake, and I do running or some sort of aerobic exercise (b-ball or bike) everyday.

So what are the basics?

Also, right now I rep at 115 and can do 2 sets of 8, but it is hard to get that last one up. I hear of people that do 3 X 6-8 reps, and people that do 2 X 6-8 reps and then the next set add weight. What do you recommend? I would love to get my bench up to about 165 in the coming months. I eat pretty well, and I have noticed a difference which is keeping me motivated at working out.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reading this. I read the article on routines here, but those exercises didn't really seem like what the "basics" would be. So if someone could give me their routine for a beginner and what is good to eat, I would be most gracious

I have a tone of questions, and if anyone uses AOL instant messenger, my screen name is mob00six .
    Last edited by TKoziol; 03-10-2004 at 07:03 PM.