The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Suggestions for a decent weight lifting routine to accompany fat loss?

Recently I've become unhappy with how my body looks, and would like to improve it. In the long-term I'm planning on gaining as much muscle as possible, but for now I'm more interested in fat loss. I'm 5"10 and currently weigh around 165 pounds, and although this doesnt make me overweight, I do have a fair amount of fat, particularly around the stomach area (my waist is 36 inches, which apparently puts my body fat level at 22%). My first goal is therefore to get rid of some of this. From reading around, it seems that the general consensus is that losing fat while simultaneously gaining muscle is very difficult. As such, I think my best option is to diet for a month or 2 in order to lose fat, and then start trying to gain muscle properly. I've drawn up a 'diet plan' which I've been following for the last 2 weeks (around 1600 calories a day, 40/40/20 carbs/protein/fat), and have also joined the local gym.

Anyway, to get to the point, I've read that while losing weight some of the weight loss normally includes muscle as well as fat, and the best way to limit the amount of muscle loss is to combine a high protein intake with a good weight training regime. Although I've been doing weights, I've been lifting things fairly randomly (as in, going to the gym, doing a few machines in no real order, and then coming home) rather than following a 'proper' training plan. This is something I'd obviously like to improve; the problem is that I dont really have any clue about what sort of routine I should be following. I'm not currently looking for much muscle gain in the next 2 months (since my calorie intake is too low for this), but I would like to avoid losing muscle mass to the greatest extent possible. What would be the best kind of weight lifting routine to follow? I was considering the WannaBeBig 1 thing, but I don't think that this is going to work particularly well with my eating plan. Does anyone have any advice?
    Last edited by poohat; 03-11-2004 at 01:22 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, you should consider a professional trainer to help you through most of the way. The fat is just the lining covering the muscle. If you burn off that layer, you shouldn't lose too much muscle. If you consider the MxS stage of a basic yearly workout, it should enlarge the muscle but also tone it down. You can follow the basic abdominal excersizes. For the rest, you can mix in Definition with Hypertrophy.

I personally will use the same routine/reps/sets for cutting as for bulking. WBB1 should be fine.

I do however think your calories is a little bit low, If I were you I would shoot for 2000 cals as long as your working out 3-4 times a week. You only want to be losing about a pound a week to minimise the loss of muscle. At the end of the day though, peoples metabolisms are different so its all about tweaking. After your 1st week if you lose 2 pounds then just add 100 calories, and vice versa.
    Last edited by Strider2; 03-11-2004 at 06:16 AM.
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

Your routine isn't that impactful for cutting anyway. That is a function of diet. You can cut/bulk whatever, and stick to the exact same routine the whole way through. Only sometimes if you are cutting you'll obviously have less energy, so you may not be able to do as much volume if you are lifting with a lot of intensity.

There are plenty of routines posted in the bodybuilding forum, along with the WBB routines. Or you can just rip someone else's off from their journal, which would allow you to ask them questions on their programs as well.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    I wouldn't worry about fat in particular to start with. When beginning to train I think the most important things are:

1) diet
    2) commitment to the gym

I say get in the gym and eat clean for a couple of months but don't get all uber-anal about following plans, etc. Just commit to eating well and training hard.

After you've done that for a couple of months, your body will be different and you will have learned a lot more about how to train and how your body responds and you can change your workouts to suit.

IMHO, a cut on calories is an especially bad way to start because you'll feel weak and discouraged. Better to eat maintenance calories and train so you can reap some benefit of larger, stronger muscles. If you put on muscle mass and eat the same amount, you'll start buring fat just by being alive, dude.

There are lots of good routines posted here at WBB but it's important especially when you are starting to choose something and COMMIT to it. Otherwise you will have no sense of progression and that's a major key to growth. You're not experienced enough as a lifter to be training instinctually yet; you need a foundation.

And I wouldn't bother with a trainer until you prove to yourself you can stick to this on your own. And when choosing a trainer, choose someone that has clientele you are impressed with -- the dude helping 30something women to 'tone' in the gym is probably not your boy. Find someone who trains people that look like you want to look and your odds will improve.

Wannabebig Member
    I was in the same boat as you, I WAS 176lbs (5'10") in mid-January and after following the Max OT training system for the last six weeks, with a proper diet (that didn't start til February), and some HIIT or other cardio 2-3 times a week, I'm now down to 166lbs.

If you want to lose weight, you have to be able to commit yourself to a sometimes grueling schedule of working out and cutting but in the end you'll be very happy with your results.

Think Big Get Bigger
    Quote Originally Posted by wantnana
    I was in the same boat as you, I WAS 176lbs (5'10") in mid-January and after following the Max OT training system for the last six weeks, with a proper diet (that didn't start til February), and some HIIT or other cardio 2-3 times a week, I'm now down to 166lbs.

If you want to lose weight, you have to be able to commit yourself to a sometimes grueling schedule of working out and cutting but in the end you'll be very happy with your results.
    Whats the Max OT training system? and where to find it?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever"