The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
  1. #26
    Banned briancurran01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoi17
    Start hitting the weights NOW. Have been absent from this board for a WHILE. You are in fact very obese, barely any definition of muscle....if any at all.

    Now, dont read this, cry and go attack a tub of ice cream. This **** is what we call constructive criticism. You obviously are here to improve yourself so I'll tell it like it is. There isnt anything on the market that is gonna make you slimmer if you yourself are not commited. You're gonna have a LONG journey ahead of you. Try to keep yourself motivated by remembering all the time people have made fun of you, calling you "lard ass" or what not...they may not be saying it to your face, but most likely behind your back. Do you wanna stay like that for the rest of your life? Go out and do something about it....good luck man.
    dude. THis is what you call constructive criticism. SHEESH sounds more like you are slamming him. Takes a lot to do what he did putting his pictures up here. I for one think your comments have no place here.

  2. #27
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoi17
    Start hitting the weights NOW. Have been absent from this board for a WHILE. You are in fact very obese, barely any definition of muscle....if any at all.

    Now, dont read this, cry and go attack a tub of ice cream. This **** is what we call constructive criticism. You obviously are here to improve yourself so I'll tell it like it is. There isnt anything on the market that is gonna make you slimmer if you yourself are not commited. You're gonna have a LONG journey ahead of you. Try to keep yourself motivated by remembering all the time people have made fun of you, calling you "lard ass" or what not...they may not be saying it to your face, but most likely behind your back. Do you wanna stay like that for the rest of your life? Go out and do something about it....good luck man.
    I can assure that i will not cry and eat eat a tub of ice cream. Iunderstand that this is a long journey and there will be ups and downs. I also know that it will be hard work but i post my daily journal online here with a link to my fitday journal so memebrs can keep me in check. I will say that at 6'3 350lbs no one ever called me lard ass to my face because i would kick there ass. behind my back i am sure it happens. I am very self concious baout my body in fact when i swim i always wear a shirt to cover my self up. I am proud of the pics i posted because they give me inspiration of where i am. Its also going to be nice to compare them a year or two later and show the progress i have made. As always i thank everyone for their comments because they are always helpful. please fee free to check out my journal and let know what you think http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=42738

  3. #28
    little man pruneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    playing doctor
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoi17
    Start hitting the weights NOW. Have been absent from this board for a WHILE. You are in fact very obese, barely any definition of muscle....if any at all.

    Now, dont read this, cry and go attack a tub of ice cream. This **** is what we call constructive criticism. You obviously are here to improve yourself so I'll tell it like it is. There isnt anything on the market that is gonna make you slimmer if you yourself are not commited. You're gonna have a LONG journey ahead of you. Try to keep yourself motivated by remembering all the time people have made fun of you, calling you "lard ass" or what not...they may not be saying it to your face, but most likely behind your back. Do you wanna stay like that for the rest of your life? Go out and do something about it....good luck man.

    dude...not cool
    The world acording to prune

    If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

  4. #29
    wooooo Jasonl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by pruneman
    dude...not cool
    :withstupi
    Ogar is the man, he's far braver than I.

  5. #30
    Banned briancurran01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by ogarchamplin
    I can assure that i will not cry and eat eat a tub of ice cream. Iunderstand that this is a long journey and there will be ups and downs. I also know that it will be hard work but i post my daily journal online here with a link to my fitday journal so memebrs can keep me in check. I will say that at 6'3 350lbs no one ever called me lard ass to my face because i would kick there ass. behind my back i am sure it happens. I am very self concious baout my body in fact when i swim i always wear a shirt to cover my self up. I am proud of the pics i posted because they give me inspiration of where i am. Its also going to be nice to compare them a year or two later and show the progress i have made. As always i thank everyone for their comments because they are always helpful. please fee free to check out my journal and let know what you think http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=42738
    I think you should kick BIGBOI's ass. J?K. You are doing awesome man. Lets hope I can kick it back into gear myself. keep it up bro

  6. #31
    is numero uno Saint Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoi17
    You are in fact very obese
    Hey man, did you need a PhD to figure that out?

    If you're so much better, let's see your pics.
    Age:30
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough
    ______________________

    “Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

  7. #32
    Banned briancurran01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    4,639
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoi17
    Start hitting the weights NOW. Have been absent from this board for a WHILE. You are in fact very obese, barely any definition of muscle....if any at all.

    Now, dont read this, cry and go attack a tub of ice cream. This **** is what we call constructive criticism. You obviously are here to improve yourself so I'll tell it like it is. There isnt anything on the market that is gonna make you slimmer if you yourself are not commited. You're gonna have a LONG journey ahead of you. Try to keep yourself motivated by remembering all the time people have made fun of you, calling you "lard ass" or what not...they may not be saying it to your face, but most likely behind your back. Do you wanna stay like that for the rest of your life? Go out and do something about it....good luck man.
    if you been gone for A WHILE I think you should stay gone!!! What you said here just pisses me off.

    He is working his ass off and making huge strides and he has to come in here and read bull**** like this from you. Like Patty says where are YOUR pics lil man?

  8. #33
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    I would like to thank everyone for their positive comments. The one thing that i dont like is jummping or bashing someone for stating their own opinion. I am a TRUE beleiver in free speech. I know that this subject is touchy because some people can be offended by some speech while it will not affect anothers. Remember for the system to work the law must protect everyone or no one! i can take what he said and pick out what i need to work on. The only two things that i did kinda of object to was for one that he has been gone for awhile and even thou i am new most of you know my story and has has shown great support for me. The other one was that he said that i have no muscle definition at all which i disagree with. Most of you pointed out that my calves were my strong point and in time they will be huge. In closing even if when don't agree with what or how someone says something i do beleive they have the right to do so as long as it isnt a hateful, or in a racist way
    Last edited by ogarchamplin; 04-06-2004 at 05:56 PM.

  9. #34
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    19
    Well said Ogar! But he is still a TOOL!

  10. #35
    Wannabebig Member Rab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    21
    Way to go man!

    Id buy ya a beer anytime :-)

    Im probably at the same stage as you in terms of weight and size. Ive been doing powerlifting for a few months now and the comments and praises ive been getting from friends and family have been superb.

    Keep at it man, you will reap the benefits as I will :-)

    Keep us posted.

    Cheers

    Rab

    Im on that yahoo messanger if ya wanna talk.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Scottish-Americans tell you that if you want to identify tartans, it's easy - you simply look under the kilt, and if it's a quarter-pounder, you know it's a McDonald's.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #36
    Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The discard pile.
    Posts
    0
    I am going to find a pic of me at my fattest and post it here just to compare. I was 13, 200+lbs, about 5'2", WAY over 35% bodyfat. Holy ****, I was fat. See, if I'd had a growth spurt that took me over 5'4", the weight wouldn't have been so bad.

    Used to eat Snowballs(Hostess, not some ripoff), six at a time. Snowballs-to those who dont know- are a cream filled chocolate cupcake covered in a half-inch thick layer of white or pink marshmallow and then that is covered with shredded coconut. Its the devil's quadruplet of bad food. You break three deadly sins just by eating one, and I did it with relish. We had a Hostess factory store in town because there is a Hostess Bakery in Sacramento. They make Wonder brand bread, if you didnt know. A package of two of anything (two twinkies, two ho-hos, two snowballs, Home-Run Pies, etc) was about 25 cents. We would go there and get an obscene amount of snacks.

    God damn, I miss the freedom of eating when I was such a fatass. I ate what I wanted when I wanted. Now if I eat too much pizza I actually..feel...guilty. It blows.

    Ogar, don't forget that you're making a lifestyle change here. Believe it or not, you may miss some aspects of being fat. I do, strangely enough. You may miss the way you intimidate some people and might find yourself having to take more **** than you used to. I'm pretty short and when I was fat I was highly unnoticable, I miss being able to walk around virtually undetected. I also miss the guilt-free binge eating-which, now that I'm bulking up and working out, I do get to do on a smaller scale, but I can't eat the same stuff I did before, just more good food. I wish I could take a day off from reality and palm a rack full of Ho-Hos and Tiger Tails and Yellow Zingers and Bit-O-Honeys and Twinkies and Snowballs(the white, not the pink), and Susie-Qs and Lorna Doones; I'd take them home and sit on my bed and roll around in them all, covering my naked body with their goodness, and then I'd eat every one of them and sleep in the wrappers with one hand on my bloated belly and the other hand on the remote.

    But I can't, because I know what would happen.

    I'm 22 now, btw. Lost most of the weight on a crazy ass whim one night after I'd eaten myself stupid on microwave chimichangas when I was about 15 1/2. I lost a lot of weight in the first year just by not eating ****ty food for the most part. I probably dropped 30 pounds in one year, slowly, yes. Puberty helped but not much, I don't think. I got down to about 165 by senior year when I was 17 but had no muscle and was still probably about 20%bf.
    My roommate in college was a lifter and he really got me into it, we got dumbells and an ez bar in our dorm room and lifted weights in our room and went to the gym every once in a while. Yeah, we did legs, too. I got down to about 16%bf and built a little mass in that time.
    The year after that I went insane and started to drop fat again, like a fiend, and got down to a sickly bodyweight of 135, still over 13%bf, but about 0% lean bodymass (I'd burned my intestines up on a long jog)

    I went on a trip to London and ate myself stupid and had a hell of a time. I dont know what it was but when I got back and had put on a few pounds I elt pretty good about it, so I began to eat a little more and more and started working out very seriously and built a few pounds of muscle, got up to 152lbs, around 10%bf, and felt fantastic. That was the leanest I ever got though.

    Christ. Thats enough about me.

    Bottom line- its a hell of a journey. Now move it.
    Last edited by Budiak; 04-10-2004 at 08:42 PM.

  12. #37
    Cyber Playa AllUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In Uranus
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Budiak
    Used to eat Snowballs(Hostess, not some ripoff), six at a time. Snowballs-to those who dont know- are a cream filled chocolate cupcake covered in a half-inch thick layer of white or pink marshmallow and then that is covered with shredded coconut. Its the devil's quadruplet of bad food. You break three deadly sins just by eating one, and I did it with relish. We had a Hostess factory store in town because there is a Hostess Bakery in Sacramento. They make Wonder brand bread, if you didnt know. A package of two of anything (two twinkies, two ho-hos, two snowballs, Home-Run Pies, etc) was about 25 cents. We would go there and get an obscene amount of snacks.

    God damn, I miss the freedom of eating when I was such a fatass. I ate what I wanted when I wanted. Now if I eat too much pizza I actually..feel...guilty. It blows.
    Hostess? hehe, Power to ya man, I woulda eaten like that guy from Seven with the spaghetti if I lived near a Hostess Bakery a year ago. :o

    My main thing was sicilian pizza's. I used to eat 1/2 of one in a sitting. The owner actually called me Hungry-Guido as a nick. :/
    Last edited by AllUp; 04-22-2004 at 11:14 AM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

    Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

  13. #38
    Wannabebig Member alan_b's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    27
    Keep up the good work, we all know its not easy and that a little encouragement can go along way and that's why I think most ppl take the time out to say something to you.
    Let us know how you are getting on.
    All the best.
    Alan

  14. #39
    Demotivated. JTyrell710's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,185
    i think bigboi's comment is fine- he's telling it how he sees it. in fact i even like the comment, sometimes u need an honest opinion or even degrading comment to motivate you...

    but what i like even more is the way ogar handled it, basically he said " i know im big, but im workin on it"
    if there's one person who i kno is gonna work hard, its ogar
    - and if he spent half the time on the bike as he did making polls, he'd already be there. jk-
    good work and good luck man
    -jt
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

    Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

  15. #40
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,816
    any progress pics og?

  16. #41
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    any progress pics og?
    I have only lost just shy of 40lbs. once i hit the 300lb mark then i will make new pics

  17. #42
    Banned Reinier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    south west Holland Europe
    Posts
    8,842
    don't trivialise losing 40 lbs like that man. there's people who struggle patheticly for years to get less than that off and fail and become depressed.

    You're superior and should know it lol

  18. #43
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by JTyrell710
    i think bigboi's comment is fine- he's telling it how he sees it. in fact i even like the comment, sometimes u need an honest opinion or even degrading comment to motivate you...

    but what i like even more is the way ogar handled it, basically he said " i know im big, but im workin on it"
    if there's one person who i kno is gonna work hard, its ogar
    - and if he spent half the time on the bike as he did making polls, he'd already be there. jk-
    good work and good luck man
    -jt
    Thanks for the positive comments...i think i will make a poll on if i handled bigboi's comments the right way :evillaugh

    BTW i do an a lot more cardio than ever before. And i hate it!

  19. #44
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    don't trivialise losing 40 lbs like that man. there's people who struggle patheticly for years to get less than that off and fail and become depressed.

    You're superior and should know it lol
    Thanks for the postive comments on the weight loss. But to be honest if say you were 60lbs over weight and lost 40 their would be a noticable difference. But for me being as large as i am 40 lbs is really hard to see unless you can see me in person or have known me. My wife always says she can see the differenc where i cant. I do notice that my clothes are getting very loose. The best part is when i run into someone i havent seen in months and they notice it....Funny but sad story. My father came to Pa for a visit last week and i did not tell him about my weight loss or that i have shaved my head bald. I was going to surprise him when i went to see him during the summer(he is retired and lives by the beach). Anyhow he calls and says meet me at this resturant. When we get there he keeps looking at me and finally he says"are you sick" and i ask why and he thought i was getting chemo because i lost weight and had no hair..

  20. #45
    I want some crack! TBone4Eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Greenbelt, MD
    Posts
    986
    I agree with Reinier, 40 lbs is friggin' awesome and you should be proud of that. It's not just the pounds, but your cholesterol is a lot lower. Your overall health is improving. You have decided to take control of your life and your fitness. You're doing it the right way with diet and exercise. I feel others in your position would have taken the easier way out and gotten gastric bypass surgery even though 1 in 200 people die because of it.

    Keep up the good work man.

  21. #46
    Demotivated. JTyrell710's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,185
    hahaha Ogar just said "i only lost 40 pounds"
    haha good one man
    ..only 40 pounds
    pshhh
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

    Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

  22. #47
    Banned ogarchamplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pa
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by JTyrell710
    hahaha Ogar just said "i only lost 40 pounds"
    haha good one man
    ..only 40 pounds
    pshhh
    Im sorry i don't understand what you are trying to say.

  23. #48
    Hot as FCUK Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    0
    He's saying the 40 pounds is a huge accomplishment and you brush it off like its nothing. It's really impressive bro.

  24. #49
    Cyber Playa AllUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In Uranus
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by crussow
    He's saying the 40 pounds is a huge accomplishment and you brush it off like its nothing. It's really impressive bro.
    Hell yeah man, congrats. It's all about routine.Health and fitness will eventually become a way of life.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

    Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •