Thread: muscle enzyme blood work

Gonadius Maximus

muscle enzyme blood work

I recently had my blood work done and the CPK (muscle enzyme) was 1042
    the normal range 35 - 230 U/L, My doctor said it was from lifting heavy weight alot.

Does anyone else know if their CPK is that high?

Never had that checked out. I guess it makes sense though, CPK is creatine phosphokinase if I'm not mistaken, and elevated levels seem like a logical response to weight training.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    do u take creatine? did the doctor say it was bad, or just more than average?
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Gonadius Maximus
    I only take 5 grams of creatine pre-workout, the doc said that he didn't the supplement creatine has anything to do with it. He said he would be concerned if he didn't know I was a BB'er, that high of cpk is usually associated with damage due to heart attack, thats why I was wondering if any of you know what your CPK level is.

I'm a medical technologist by trade, so this is part of what I do. CK (or CPK) is normally elevated from lifting heavy weights. It will also be elevated from a fall. Anytime muscle tissue is damaged, CK will be affected. The CK isoenzymes, are specific to muscle types. CK-MB is specific for heart muscle, and is used to diagnose heart attacks. CK will remain elevated for up to 7 days depending on how much muscle is damaged. This is a good thing, when you lift, you want to damage muscle, so the body rebuilds it stronger.