The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

"Lost in Translation" or "How to waste nearly two hours of your life".

Ever notice how a lot of times the movies that every critic and their mother say are the best, actually end up being huge piles of steaming crap once you watch them? The above movie is an example of this.

I decided to watch it after hearing so much good stuff about it. Instead what I got was a waste of nearly two hours of my whole life.

It was slow.

There was really no storyline.

When it tried to be funny it failed.

This may be perhaps the most overratted movie that I have had the displeasure of seeing.

I do believe that I could have had more fun watching paint dry.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    now that i think about it "A beautiful mind" wasnt really all that either..it was good, but not what every one was hyping it up to be
    Last edited by Focused; 03-15-2004 at 11:45 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, got to agree a bit there to. Each time I watch it, it goes from being a four star movie to a three star one at best. No doubt though that Crowe gave a great performance.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    havent seen lost in translation but i like a beautiful mind alot
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wannabebig Member
    I like it to. I would call it a good movie, but I wouldn't call it a great movie. Only so many movies can truly be considered great. Films like The Godfather and The Godfather Part II come to mind.

Banned
    opinions vary on movies and people like different things in a flick

one man's 'steaming pile of crap' is another man's favourite film

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan

Stating the obvious like this is needed in threads like this.

Also, I do not think films like "A Beautiful Mind" were made to be watched over and over, especially with such a story line. I believe the initial impression to be the most accurate way to judge your enjoyment of the movie.
    Last edited by Exnor; 03-16-2004 at 08:43 AM.

tell me about it - after all the crazy hype for the lord of the rings films I ended up falling asleep in the first one, being bored off my head in the second and I couldn't drag myself to see the third.
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flake
    tell me about it - after all the crazy hype for the lord of the rings films I ended up falling asleep in the first one, being bored off my head in the second and I couldn't drag myself to see the third.
    heretic!

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Lost in Translation was about isolationism. It was a terrible movie, but the story was good and well told.

I recommend watching 'Igby Goes Down'. That's an excellent flik.

Igby is weird, but I wouldn't call it excellent. Donnie darko is also weird, and excellent, but I didn't really like its pretension.

Gonnabebig Member
    Tommy Boy...now that's an excellent flick!

The coolest 'different' movie I've seen lately was the Boondock Saints. Everyone I know said it was my kind of movie for the longest time. Finally got around to seeing it and it kicked ass.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Or if you really want to watch a movie and not enjoy it because it tries too hard, watch Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    The coolest 'different' movie I've seen lately was the Boondock Saints. Everyone I know said it was my kind of movie for the longest time. Finally got around to seeing it and it kicked ass.
    Lol duh
    All my friends have seen this movie at least 5 times, one guy like 12 times.
    I have only seen it once. The guy with tourettes I remember most.
    Last edited by Anthony; 03-18-2004 at 05:39 AM. Reason: swearing

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan

I agree. Come one now, isn't Ishtar the best movie of all time??
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Watch Mystic River, now that's a good movie.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Better Off Dead is in my top 5. That is a great movie.

Igby goes down had some of the smartest dialogue I've seen in a while. Punch Drunk Love is one of the most original movies I've seen in a long while. It had awesome cinematography. I like Lost in Translation. Maybe I'm just a huge Bill Murray fan. I still think he did his best work in Rushmore.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

6'1" 175
    Ugggh... "Rushmore". I hated that movie, it brings back bad memories of crazy *ss indy girls who loved that as well as Dogma... *shudders*

I wish I had those 4 hours of my life back. Make that 8 when you include Lost in T and Identity... Yikes.

Btw, there was a top 10 movie list a while ago.
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f**king big television.

Punch Drunk Love was great, so long as you can ignore what it's trying to be and just watch it for it's bizzarity. Especially the bit about him telling her he wanted to smash her face in with a sledge hammer in response to her "I want to nibble on your cheeks".
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

I love the bit where he breaks the screen door. His sisters would have made me smash a window too! I still think Rushmore was great, although I liked Royale Tenenbaums more. Consequently, none of these movies are in my top 10 list. I like them but I have a limit on pretentious movies in my top 10 list.
    Last edited by ectx; 03-16-2004 at 06:04 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Igby goes down had some of the smartest dialogue I've seen in a while. Punch Drunk Love is one of the most original movies I've seen in a long while. It had awesome cinematography. I like Lost in Translation. Maybe I'm just a huge Bill Murray fan. I still think he did his best work in Rushmore.
    Well Ec likes LiT so you can be sure it sucks.

Better Off Dead kicked ass.....Two dollars.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Fever
    Or if you really want to watch a movie and not enjoy it because it tries too hard, watch Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler.
    i actually liked that one. i was severely tempted to turn it off during the first like 30-40 minutes, but i was glad i hung around till the end. i thought it was a pretty funny flick. i especially liked it when adam sandler's character goes all jet li and crap

the movie that i thought was absolutely horrible was "Rushmore". i'd heard it was so funny and inventive, but i thought it was boring and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    Well Ec likes LiT so you can be sure it sucks.

Better Off Dead kicked ass.....Two dollars.
    Better off dead has made it to my top 10 before. The rank tends to rotate...but def. a top 10 flick.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis