Thread: Newbie starting a new way of life

Wannabebig Member

Newbie starting a new way of life

I am a 24 year old male who has just recently gotten involved in physical fitness. Through out my life I have been overweight. After being disgusted time and time again at what was starring back at me in the mirror, I knew it was time for a change.

In the past year I have read nearly all there is to read on bodybuilding and nutrition. As in everything knowledge is power. You can't build something if you don't have a foundation.

Recently I started on the path to my new life. I am doing this for not only the health benefits that come from physical fitness, but for the improved self esteem as well.

At 5'5.5", 176 pounds, and 20% body fat, I am currently cutting.

To do this I have implemented what I feel to be a sound lifting, cardio, and diet regiment (sp?). Below I have posted my lifting split.

Monday: Legs and Abs
    *Leg Press 3 x 8-10
    *Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 x 8-10
    *Leg Extension 2 x 8-10
    *Leg Curl 2 x 8-10
    *Seated Calf Raise 3 x 12-15
    *Crunch 3 x 20
    *Reverse Crunch 3 x 20
    *Side Bends 2 x 15

Tuesday: Chest and Arms
    *Flat Bench Press 3 x 8-10
    *Incline Bench Press 3 x 8-10
    *Dips 3 x 8-10
    *Cable Cross Over 2 x 8-10
    *EZ Bar Curl 3 x 8-10
    *Hammer Curl 2 x 8-10
    *Close Grip Bench Press 3 x 8-10
    *Triceps Pressdowns 2 x 8-10
    *Wrist Curl 1 x 12
    *Reverse Wrist Curl 1 x 12

Friday: Back and Shoulders
    *Deadlift 3 x 8-10
    *Pull Downs 3 x 8-10
    *Bent Row 3 x 8-10
    *Seated Row 2 x 8-10
    *Overhead Press 3 x 8-10
    *Side Lateral Raise 2 x 8-10
    *Rear Lateral Raise 2 x 8-10
    *Shrug 3 x 8-10

Now a few things will jump out right away. To begin with you will notice that I don't follow a traditional monday, wednesday, and friday split. That is because the days above are the only one I have available. Second you will notice that there are no pull ups or chin ups in there. That's due to a current lack of appropriate equipment at my gym. Lastly you will notice that there are no squats in my routine. Squats are the kings, no doubt, but it's just not MY personal preference to do them. No other reason but that.

On my off days of wednesday, thursday, and saturday I do 30 to 45 minutes of cardio. If I feel the need I also add in another cardio session on monday moring. I never do cardio directly before or after my weight training.

My diet isn't too complicated. I do my best to count every calorie, but as I pre med student who works 25 hours a week on top of my classes, this isn't always an option. What I do is practice common sense. 5-6 meals a day, eat every two to three hours, portion of protein at every meal, avoid sat fats like the plague, make sure that I am eating low GI carbs and getting most of my carbs early in the day.

For supplements I take 30 grams of whey and 30 grams of dextrose post workout. I also use creatine and glutamine as well.

Anyhow that is just a little about me and where I am right now. I hope to learn and grow (or in my case cut) with the rest of you.

QUICK EDIT: Once the right equipment is in (which should be a few weeks) Chins and Pull ups will be added into my back routine and pull downs and seated rows will be taken out. As I said right now they are not included due to a lack of proper equipment.
    Last edited by Iron Heart; 03-15-2004 at 11:57 PM.

Even though squats are very good, they are not required. If you chose not to do them its not the end of the world. If you are doing deadlifts, you can probably save your lower back from the overkill twice in a week.

Looks like you have gotten things sorted out pretty well. Don't try to lose too much too fast or you'll drop too muscle. Keep it slow and steady and you'll be set. Good luck with everything!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks. I am trying to lose no more than 2 pounds a week, anymore and I know that it is muscle being lost as well. The main concern above the weight is the body fat percentage. That is what I really want to get down.

Question to if you don't mind my asking. What is a good body fat percentage to get down to before one should start bulking in your opinion?

It really all depends on the person. Some people are comfortable with cutting to 8-10% while others like to go much lower. I compete, so when I cut I go very low (sub 5% if possible).

I've always stayed pretty lean (around 8-10%) and unless its competition time I have no desire to be lower than that.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Heart
    Question to if you don't mind my asking. What is a good body fat percentage to get down to before one should start bulking in your opinion?
    That's up to you. 8%-12% is good if you ask me.

You're at 20% now so I'd say that by the time you hit 12% you'll be really sick and tired of cutting.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 03-16-2004 at 12:11 AM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Welcome to WBB, IronHeart. I'm guessing that by the time you get down to 160 you'll be rarin' to bulk. Which would be perfect. No sense in worrying about being "ripped to shreds" yet.

And, good luck with the pre-med studies too.
    Last edited by Scott S; 03-16-2004 at 09:59 AM.

iron heart,

you might wanna get your BF checked often, say maybe every 3-4 weeks. that way you can keep an "eye" on your lean muscle loss as oppossed to just weighing yourself once a week soyou can adjust your diet accordingly. also, set a BF% goal to get to, say maybe around 14-15% then start a bulk. do you have a % you wanna get to or a minimum weght in mind??
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Wannabebig Member
    I'd like to get to atleast 12% and then start a clean bulk. I honestly feel that if you keep the diet clean, it is possible to pack on some mass without becoming a fat ass.

Right now though I am just concentrating on cutting. One step at a time.

at 12% that's quite a drop in weight,especially starting at 176. do you realize you'll probably be under 150 by the time you get to 12%? just a thought. but,if that's your goal so be it. just keep in mind w/such a large weight loss you'll lose quite a bit of muscle as well. that's why i recommend getting yor BF checked often to access your lean musle loss:fat loss.
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat