The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Cybex

Cybex

I was chatting with a memeber at my gym yesterday and was saying how the dumbells really bother my hands. He said go back to the Cybex room and use those machines because they are way better than free weights. I went back and he showed me what machines were to replace the excercises that i was doing out on the floor. First off it did not feel the same and i was able to do more weight on the Cybex then on free weights. I guess growing up a male with a old bench press in the basement as a kid i just think free weight are better. What is the opinion on here about it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Free weights are definitely better (for my purposes). I use Cybex here at work and they put you in uncomfortable positions of you're not made to fit the machine, basically. I just plain can't use the bicep or tricep machines because of the mechanics of them.

Plus free weights allow more synergists to be used, where the machines try to isolate.

I think there is a time and place for everything.

DB's are good up to a certain weight, at which time they have a lot of potential to do injury (IMHO)
    BBs rule, but without a spotter I'd just as soon jump on a Cybex/HammerStrength machine...
    sure you can do more weight, but thats just because of the physics/vectors...
    The amount of weight you do shouldn't be a factor, it should be about how good you can work the muscles.
    Like galileo said though, the free weights are far superior because of all the synergistic muscles that can be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    I think there is a time and place for everything.

DB's are good up to a certain weight, at which time they have a lot of potential to do injury (IMHO)
    BBs rule, but without a spotter I'd just as soon jump on a Cybex/HammerStrength machine...
    sure you can do more weight, but thats just because of the physics/vectors...
    The amount of weight you do shouldn't be a factor, it should be about how good you can work the muscles.
    Like galileo said though, the free weights are far superior because of all the synergistic muscles that can be involved.
    too me Hammer Strength equpiment is different. I think thats why its where the free weights are (i know you need the plates) Cybex reminds me of the old Natulis equpiment that my old gym back in 93 had. and there only the women used the Natilus

Banned
    why do the dumbbells bother your hands?

and worrying about how much 'weight' you do on Cybex vs freeweight is just silly... once you use a machine, 'weight' loses meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    why do the dumbbells bother your hands?

and worrying about how much 'weight' you do on Cybex vs freeweight is just silly... once you use a machine, 'weight' loses meaning.
    I guess being new to lifting but for some reason after i use the dumbells my hands feel numb or tingly. I know it sound odd, but it happens every time and lasts for a little. Its nothing major i had just said about it to this guy and i could swear he worked for the Cybex company or something they way he praised the equipment.

Banned
    tingling sounds like maybe some kind of nerve impingement thing... or maybe your grip just needs work?

I'd be inclined to push through and keep using dumbbells... see if the tingling persists and/or becomes a problem instead of a distraction
    Last edited by Relentless; 03-19-2004 at 01:48 PM.

bone crusher
    cybex makes some excellent equipment, as does hammer strength

bone crusher
    use whatever is going to keep you going back to the gym. Gal likes free weights, if you like that then OK but if using cybex will keep you going then do so. Dont compare free weights vs machines, they are mechanically much different. Just do the maximum weight you can within a given rep range

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    tingling sounds like maybe some kind of nerve impingement thing
    that concerns me too...

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome ???

try a good pair of gloves & start training your grip if you are not already

Quote Originally Posted by the doc
    use whatever is going to keep you going back to the gym. Gal likes free weights, if you like that then OK but if using cybex will keep you going then do so. Dont compare free weights vs machines, they are mechanically much different. Just do the maximum weight you can within a given rep range
    :withstupi

Especially for you, Ogar, as your main goal right now is weight loss.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    I only use two cybex machines. One for my legs and one for my back, never use those machines that focus on the arms and chest; since just like galileo says, the mechanics is funny.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)