The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

When progress comes to a screeching halt............

I just reached my goal of benching 225lbs and now realize that the more I progress the more likely my progress is to slow. For this reason I thought we could make a list of things to do when progress slows down.

1) Eat More and better
    2) Drink more water
    3) Get more sleep
    4) Change workout splits and exercises
    5) Do negatives on certain exercises
    6) Do singles of 10 sets but week 1 allow 90seconds between sets then the next week allow only 75 seconds etc... until you can do 10 reps without any rest (got this from muscle and fitness)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You covered almost everything. Supplements are another option.

But like I need some ideas...more on the lines of negatives etc....

I like drop sets. Pick a weight you can do 4-5 times and do it, then drop the weight a bit and immediately do it again, aiming for 4-5 reps. I'll do that 3-4 times. It utilizes heavier weights while keeping the weights heavier.

Rest/pause is another idea. Pick a weight you can 6-8 times and do that. Then rest 10-15 seconds and do it again, this time aiming for 4-6 reps or as many as you can. Give it ago one more time and then rest.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield
    I like drop sets. Pick a weight you can do 4-5 times and do it, then drop the weight a bit and immediately do it again, aiming for 4-5 reps. I'll do that 3-4 times. It utilizes heavier weights while keeping the weights heavier.

Rest/pause is another idea. Pick a weight you can 6-8 times and do that. Then rest 10-15 seconds and do it again, this time aiming for 4-6 reps or as many as you can. Give it ago one more time and then rest.

Homeyield i've never really done drop sets because I've always been scared to use lighter weights. For instance when you do weights that are lighter than you are used to lifting (but seem heavy cause you are exhausted) doesn't it make your nervous system get adjusted to these lighter weights and make it harder for you to do what you wanted to do in the first place......break through a barrier and add more weight.

take a week or two off

No your nervous system won't become adapted to lighter weights. People do 5x5 and get great results increasing their 1RM. Are they doing 5x5 with their 1RM?
    Why aren't you training constantly with your 1RM if lighter weights makes the nervous system adjust? Why do some of the strongest lifters in the world do speed days or dynamic effort days where they train with around 50-65% of their 1RM? Okay, so maybe all that is overkill but you get the point. Your nervous system won't adapt to that.

When doing drop sets, you are using weights that you would do around 4-5 times. That's pretty heavy. But now if you drop that weight just a tad and do it again, probably getting 4-5 more reps, you are increasing the time that you are lifting while still maintaining moderately heavy tension. And I'm not saying use light weights when doing drop sets. Lets say I'm doing leg press. I'll put 9 plates on each side and do 8 reps. Then I'll take a plate off each side going as fast as I can and do it again. Now just dropping the leg press from 810 to 720 isn't really making it that light.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Goodstuff..thanks Homeyield and i'm going to try them out sometime. Spartacus I can't believe I forgot that....I think that is the most important one.

HST was a good plateau braker for me. Also, I am confused on what you are saying about drop sets? Are you talking about doing a heavy weight/low rep set of around 4-5, then directly following the last set doing a high rep/low weight set of 12-15 reps for lactic acid buildup? This is what I personally have found to be the most effective. I do,
    Bench press
    5x5 305lbs
    Directly following the last set with no rest in between I do a dropset of around 12 reps. This leaves my chest absolutely burning. This may be what you were talking about in the first place, didn't understand exactly what you guys were speaking of.
    Last edited by NaturalBuilder; 03-16-2004 at 08:35 PM.