The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

confused and frustrated...Please Help!

I don't know why, but every time I work on chest, i feel that my left chest has gotten worked quite nice, but my right one isn't. I am right handed, so I would think, if anything, it should be the other way around. To make it worse, my right tricep feels like it's gotten more of a workout than my chest. Do you guys know what this might be from? My form is pretty dead on. The only thing that might be off about it would be that I push the bar a little towards my legs than I probably should. My chest workout goes as follow:

BB Bench - 3 sets @ 6-8reps
    BB Incline - 3 sets @ 6-8 reps
    DB Flyes - 3 sets @ 10-12 reps
    Dips - 1 set to failure

All these sets are to failure as well. Any suggestions or advice or insight?
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

on bench does your left arm lag? could be that your left is weaker and has to push a little harder than the right to get the weight up.. making it more sore.

Try dumbbell bench.

my left arm is definately weaker than my right, but i don't think it lags. If anything the right lags a little. At times, I have to concentrate on pushing the weight up evenly or even more emphasis on one arm so i can fele that body part working. The same also happens when i am working out on my bis and tris, but it's the opposite. My left arm doesn't feel like it get worked out.

i've done db bench in the past. I just don't get any size on my chest by working out on DBs. I mean my strangth did go up a crap load, but the size of my chest just was lagging way behind from the rest of my body.

can no one help?

DB's will eliminate the imbalance. I don't see how DB's don't work your chest.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

my left arm lags, and i always feel that my left arm gets a better workout which is good because it will catch up with my right arm

Hmmm...I'm with max-mex. I think DB are superior at working out your chest in some ways to a BB. Make sure you are going deep enough with them.
    "Color outside the lines"

when i did DBs, my bench went from 45s 6-8 to 90s 6-8 reps in a month, but the size of my chest didn't reflect on that. I do go down all the way. It feels like my chest is about to rip. I don't know what else I can say

Quote Originally Posted by Timastyle
    when i did DBs, my bench went from 45s 6-8 to 90s 6-8 reps in a month, but the size of my chest didn't reflect on that.
    That says it all. 1 month? Dood, what did you expect to see in 1 month? Ain't gonna happen. Also, starting with 45's then up to 90's? Shoulda started with 90's. Now, if you went from 50's to 100's in about 6 months, and didnt see a change, then that's a different story.

Try this, and it's your choice if you want to or not, start with 90's and progress up to 110's by June or July. If you are bulking, and you keep at it, you will see a difference by then. One month is too short a period to see any noticeable gains.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

what i meant by starting at 45s and ending with 90s was that in the beginning, the most i could put up was 45s 6-8 times. By a month or month and a half, I was able to do 90s 6-8 times. I know that a month and a half isn't that much time, but my arms went from 13s to 16s in that time. As I compare the gains from my arms, back and shoulders to the gains in my chest, my chest was lagging waaaaaaaaay behind.

13-16's? you on the juice or something? That's very impressive gains. Also, that could be the reason why your chest lags. If most of it was tricep growth, then it could be something is up with your bench form (too much tricep, not enough chest, or you are an arm jockey, ).

Again, going from 45's to 90's in that short a time period is questionable. That's a 45lb increase in 1 1/2 months. I'm not doubting you did it, just doubting that starting with 45's was a good idea. At that rate, you'll be doing 200's by the end of the year.

Did the rest of your chest lifts go up the same way?
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

the rest of my chest gains also went up. I think that my chest form is pretty good.

what do you mean too much tricep, not enough chest? how would i correct that?

For your info, I'm not on the juice. I used to work out and had gotten to a decent size, but because of injuries and so on, i just stopped. I don't know if it's muscle memory or whatever you wanna call it. At the same time, when i start working out i eat a lot more, healthier which aid in the gains i'm sure.

oh and i'm no stinkin curl jockey either. I don't do more than 7 sets on bis, once a week.

Just kidding. Too much triceps not enough chest means just that. It's possible you are working your tri's more than chest when doing your pressing movements.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

i've done db bench in the past. I just don't get any size on my chest by working out on DBs. I mean my strangth did go up a crap load, but the size of my chest just was lagging way behind from the rest of my body.
    Strength and growth usually go hand-in-hand. So, this means either your rep combinations are off or as was stated earlier you use too much tri effort in your presses (this is what I think the problem is). Try using a wider grip on the bar. Greater than shoulder length. Concentrate on pushing with the chest more than the tris. Also, you could try exhausting the tris before the chest workout. You will not be able to do as much on the presses, but you will be using more chest than tris for sure. So, you could do something like

Mon: chest/tris
    Skull crushersx2
    DB tricep extensionsx2
    Close grip bench pressx2

Then move on to your normal chest exersizes.

i think i may try the exhaustion method. How would i go about correcting the fact that i use too much tris? i use a fairly wide grip as it is right now. I'm a few inches away from the shoulders. I'm where the line goes around the bar. Not the one's that are towards the center of the bar, but towards the outer parts. Should I go wider? When I do my presses, I try to concentrate on using my chest as much as possible.