The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    6'1" 175

Woman's Leg Routine

Hey, I'm not a trainer but I work out with a couple of them... Guy stuff only though so maybe you guys can critique this. I started to talk to a couple cute girls that were always doing cardio and I told them they should hit the weights. Amazingly, they wanted me to train them... Now, I want to make sure I'm doing a decent job.

I work them twice a week, on Monday and on Thursday.

This monday looked like:
    -3x20x(40,50,60lbs) on Leg Extensions
    -3x20x(10lbs) on that Slanted Standing Squats {couldn't handle the weight well }
    -1x15x50lbs Laying Slanted Press
    1x15x90lbs Laying Slanted Press
    1x50x(50lbs) Laying Slanted Press
    -3x20reps,30reps,40reps of those Thigh Squeezes supersetted w/ the Thigh Opener things...
    -Leg Extensions supersetted with Seated Leg Curls (weight varied, to failure)
    -3x30 Free Squats

I work one of the girls brutally and she goes along with it, while the other usually gives up. There was one other exercise I threw in there, but I don't know how to describe it, (your calf and foot are locked into some device and you sit backwards in it).

Last Thursday consisted of:
    -DEEP SQUATS -> (fun to spot)
    -Leg Presses
    -Lunges
    -Standing Calf Raises
    -Seated Calf Raises
    -Superset of Leg Extensions and Leg Curls

Usually, after a workout, I get them on the treadmill to run lightly for 10-20 minutes.

Suggestions?
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f**king big television.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

why so many reps?
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Veritas, here is some info on the thigh squeeze/opener

the squeezer is called a Transverse Adduction (targets your abductors) and the opener a Transverse Abduction (which targets your glutes)http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Hip.html#anchor847983

Toss in something for hamstrings, leg curls are ok, but SLDL's would be better

6'1" 175
    Yeah, I notice it's a lot of reps, but shes got a lot of energy (17,18years old). I wasn't sure if it would be wise to throw on heavier weights, so I work one of the girls to fatigue... And she seems to give it her all, the other girl usually gives up around 15 reps of anything.

Btw, Thanks Geoff! That's exellent, you're one of the best members I've seen on this board.
    Last edited by Anthony; 03-18-2004 at 12:10 PM.
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f**king big television.

If they are lifting with good form, you can start adding more weight and decreasing the reps. If you can get them to understand that lifting heavy won't make them big then they'll slowly realize that training in lower rep ranges is fine for females. No need to train them differently than males.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    but SLDL's would be better
    Ya, great for viewing the butts.

Last edited by Max-Mex; 03-16-2004 at 02:18 PM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

6'1" 175
    Ya, great for viewing the butts.
    *ehem* Leg Presses & Leg Curls

Btw, is it crude that I spot them on the Deep Squats. I mean, it kindof looks a little wrong holding them from behind with my arms around their waist and squatting w/ them (but I don't really mind). Is there a more friendlier way to spot them, to avoid getting wood at the gym?

^btw, deep squats on the smith machine.

Eh, I just read somewhere, deep squats on the smith machine aren't that good for you. I guess I'll throw in free-standing deep squats...
    Last edited by Veritas; 03-16-2004 at 02:40 PM.

veritas, I find that front ATF squats to be the best.
    The amount of weight they do should be pretty damn low and they honestly shouldn't even need a spot if they are doing them on a power rack....I mean if they can't get up the bar should already be within centimeters of the rack, but if you needed you could always spot them from the front or the back.

I'm biased, but I think my leg routine rocks, I do a 3 day split:
    1 Hamstring
    ...3x10 Leg Curl
    ...3x10 SLDL
    ...2x10 Hypers

2 Calf = http://proteinfactory.com/store/arti...articles_id=41

3 Quad
    ...3x10 Lunges
    ...2x10 Leg extensions
    ...3x10 ATF Front Squats

You could pick some other good exercises from here:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 03-16-2004 at 02:56 PM.

Leg curls are for pussies! Do Glute Ham Raises!

Agree with geoff regarding front squats. Might be easier to learn than back squats.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas
    *ehem* Leg Presses & Leg Curls

Btw, is it crude that I spot them on the Deep Squats. I mean, it kindof looks a little wrong holding them from behind with my arms around their waist and squatting w/ them (but I don't really mind). Is there a more friendlier way to spot them, to avoid getting wood at the gym?\
    Fortunately...err...unfortunately..no. Since you are switching them to regular squats (front or back), from behnd is really the best place to spot. Safest IMO.
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 03-16-2004 at 03:28 PM.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Yay for teaching girls to squat! If a woman has any interest WHATSOEVER in preventing osteoporosis later on, these should be the cornerstone of her workout. I'd make sure they're keeping their backs straight all the way down. If need be, draft another girl so you can spot from both ends of the bar.

High reps have advantages on both sexes. I have done a leg workout as follows for the past couple of months and had enormous gains...

Legs
    Squatsx3
    Lungesx3
    SLDLx2
    Curlsx2
    Standing calf raisesx5

I change the reps up, anywhere from 10-20 reps though.

6'1" 175
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try this routine today (from Geoff):

-----------------------------------------------------------
    ...2x10 Hypers (in the ab room)
    ...3x10 ATF Front Squats (I'm not sure if I can pull these off)
    ...3x10 Lunges
    ...3x10 SLDL
    Super Set: ...3x10 Leg Curl & ...2x10 Leg extensions
    Calf = Up to 75 Reps, with a wieght you would usually use to do 20
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Too many? Too little? I figure this would be an hour long workout. And is the order alright.

I think you should keep the back squats. Front is not an easy grip to learn and keep form as well. If they don't have good wrist flexibility, they'll just be disenchanted with it. It's not like it's hugely more beneficial, puts some more emphasis on the quads instead of glutes, which isn't always what's desired anyway.

As for spotting, if they haven't ever failed on squats before, I think you should explain exactly what you would do in case it happens, and then go through it a few times to make sure they are comfortable. Really, holding the waist is wrong anyway. If someone is failing on a squat, your arms should be around their torso or upper chest, I'm guessing with a female under the breast would be the most PC place to do it. As they fail, if they can handle most of the load you simply pull them back so they can drive with their legs without falling forward. If they are majorly failing, what you must do is pull on their chest to keep them erect, while actually driving your hips into there glutes, this forces their hips erect and helps them stand up. This will of course look scandalous, but if they understand it's safety first, and that's what will occur in a worst case scenario, then at least there will be no misunderstandings. Some people simply squat better with a spotter anyway, as they feel they can go all out and if something happens, they will be safe. You just need to establish that trust first.

Hope some of this is useful to you.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    I think you should keep the back squats. Front is not an easy grip to learn and keep form as well. If they don't have good wrist flexibility, they'll just be disenchanted with it.
    Depends on how you hold the bar Elp. I used an arms crossed grip which is easier to learn. No stress on the wrists at all.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

True enough.

Current FFFA Enforcer