Thread: Meet this weekend, need advice...

Meet this weekend, need advice...

Hey, I've got a meet this weekend and a bit of a problem. I hurt my knee a little while ago and havn't gotten it checked out yet, most people think it may be an ACL injury. But anyway, my only real problem is squatting, my normal stance feels like I'm bein stabbed in the side of my knee. I'm not used to wrapping my knees so I'm not gonna do that and I didn't have time to test out wider or narrower stances. My question is how should I adjust my stance to possibly take some of the impact off my knees?? Any help or advice is appreciated

My first advice is to not lift if you are in that much pain. Go see a doc.

My second advice is to wrap your knees if you insist on competing. I don't know how to adjust your form to get past that, other than to reduce the weight lifted, and do more of an Oly squat, just not deep.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I am with Paul.

Senior of Kinesiology
    Paul put it best. Don't risk permament injury, its better to miss one meet then to never compete again. If you must compete then I would definaitly wrap your knees. What ever you decide, good luck.
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

Thanks for the advice and concern guys. I did compete today and until my third squat I didn't really fell anything to bad in my knee, and I ended up winning so I'm glad I did. I don't think it's as serious as once thought but I'm gonna get it checked within the week.