Thread: Length of cardio

Wannabebig Member

Length of cardio

Hey guys, i have a question concerning cardio. I usually do cardio on a bike for about 35 minutes 4 times a week. I've been trying to work it up to 45 minutes but my legs begin to get a sore after about 20-25 minutes and i have to slow down. Could i still get the same benefits of a straight 45 minute cardio workout if i were to break it up into two sessions a day? I was planning on 20 minutes during one sessiion and 25 minutes during another.

Doing cardio twice is a good idea at times for certain people.It elevates the heart rate two times instead of just once and also increases metabolism.I would simply do 20 minutes of HIIT cardio once daily and possibly in your case 5 x a week.You will burn more calories in less time and you get a kind of "afterburn" where you actually burn fat long after the cardio session is over. Good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it. I've tried HITT before and it just wasnt for me. I felt like i was about to puke after doing it. I tried it for a week but couldnt put up with it so i think i'll just stick with 2 20-25 minutes sessions of moderatley intense cardio.

I wannabebig!
    depends on your goals... if it is just a matter of burning calories, then I would say yes.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not realy looking for a chiseled midsection or diezel six pack. I just want a decent looking stomach without a huge gut.

Quote Originally Posted by mad hatter1
    I'm not realy looking for a chiseled midsection or diezel six pack. I just want a decent looking stomach without a huge gut.
    2 shorter cardio sessions would be fine.

How does your diet look?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    My diet's nothing too fancy. I try to balance it pretty well and aim for about 1700-1800 cals a day. Breakfast usually consists of cereal/oatmeal with fruit and some eggs. Lunch is usually a sandwich with low fat meat and dinner is usually fish/meat/chicken with rice/pasta and a salad. If i'm feeling hungry i munch of veggies or fruits throughout the day.