The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Not hitting my chest right. Need help.

Hey guys, my chest is my lagging bodypart, I find that when I bench press, or do any chest excersize, I feel most of the effort being made by the muscle connecting my chest to my shoulder, and my tri's are involved heavily. I was wondering if there are any techniques that I could use in order to aim more of the effort of the lift to my chest, instead of my shoulders. Thanks in advance!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    maybe try varying your grip.. or if you are using barbell switch to dumbbells?

Wannabebig Member
    If you're feeling it too much in your tri's, you may want to go for a wider grip. And the shoulder thing is something I struggled with for a bit before I figured it out. When you lower the weight, make sure the bar is in line with your nipples. As you press up, bring the bar in line with the mid-chest area. I think a lot of people lift with the bar too far towards their head.

That's what worked with me.
    The problem with being better than everyone else is that people assume you're pretentious.

Quote Originally Posted by bruejam
    If you're feeling it too much in your tri's, you may want to go for a wider grip. And the shoulder thing is something I struggled with for a bit before I figured it out. When you lower the weight, make sure the bar is in line with your nipples. As you press up, bring the bar in line with the mid-chest area. I think a lot of people lift with the bar too far towards their head.

That's what worked with me.
    Agree. Wide grip, in line with nipples. I place my index finger on the outer ring. If you attempt this, be sue you aim for the nipples because if the weight is heavy enough, this style of grip can put intesnse pressure on the shoulders. Also, don't tuck your elbows. Tucking causes you to use your tri's more. Same thing applies for DB presses as well.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I would switch to DBs for a while, they seem to hit my chest more.

Thanks for the replies guys, I use to use dumbells for doing chest work, but the university gym I goto now, do not have many dumbbells, and what they do have is usually being used for curls :P I will widen my grip a little bit next chest day, but I feel as if I use a wider grip then most people already, we shall see how it goes. Also, I use to bring the bar down to my nipples, then straight up, I will try to bring it up and more towards my chest next time. Thanks for the replies guys.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah, usually the problem with people who feel the bench in there shoulders and triceps is that they bench with a flat back.

Learn to arch the back and use natural leverage. dont raise your ss off the bench but when you arch your back properly you take your shoulders out of the movement and place much more of the stress on the pecs.

when you sit down make sure your feet are properly spaced and well grounded so you can get a good drive.

also dig your butt into the bench well.

when you lay back on the bench arch your back hard by trying to push your shoulders down towards your glutes, this motion will tuck the shoulders and place the stress on your pecs

alo widen the grip some make sure your at least outside your shoulders, a good rule of thumb is a grip that when you lower the weight your wrist, forearm and upper arm make a 90 degree angle at the bottom of the lift

also dont press in the "arch" that alot of bodybuilders talk about. also dont lower the weight to the upper chest or neck area, this places bad strss on the shoulders. lower the weight to the nipples and press it up in a straight line.

dont bounce and always touch your chest, and if at all possible pause the weight at the bottom on your chest before you start pressing.

you can use this set up technique on all forms of benching flat , incline, decline, or dumbels

hope this helps
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Are your arms straight out to your sides? If so, try bringing your down more inline with your nipples.

Just read bigCoreys advice. very good advice
    Last edited by GrumpyTX; 03-19-2004 at 02:38 PM.

I've got exactly the same problem. Benching seems to hit more of my tris and shoulders rather than my pecs. The weird thing is when I do push ups it seems to work my chest a lot more. Does anyone know why this is ?

If your bench pressing is a real weak point this is what I did to bring it back up. All i did was find a chest press machine that I liked. It put me in perfect position to work my pecs which were almost always sore after. I went at this machine for quite sometime until i could almost finish the stack. With all that progress I was able to return to the bb press (now with proper form and preferences) and bench 225lbs. Something I definitely could not do before my time with the chest press machine.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbs
    I've got exactly the same problem. Benching seems to hit more of my tris and shoulders rather than my pecs. The weird thing is when I do push ups it seems to work my chest a lot more. Does anyone know why this is ?

Hand position. More than likely.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Spread the grip out, many have told you this now. Wide grip, concentrate on using the chest muscles more than the tri's and shoulders during the exersize. Some people are genetically predetermined to lift with more of their shoulders during bench presses, however.