Thread: Pec Injury

M-Tiz46

Pec Injury

I injured my pec recently at a powerlifting meet. I'm not sure of the degree of the injury, I just think it's a minor strain. It has, however, kept me from benching the last two weeks. I've been doing lots of tricep work as well as one arm bench and pec dec to help keep my other side strong. I'm worried that my bench will decrease significantly as a result of this. Any suggestions of some alternate exercises I could do?
    Height:5'8
    Weight:168
    Bench:280X1
    Deadlift:400X1
    Squat:365X1

"We must either find a way or make one"-Seneca

Be more worried about your pec then what your bench is currently at. The strenght you lose comes back very quick. I was off for 6months due to an injury and went from doing 95x5 first workout to 225x4
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Yeah, strength will come back very quickly, so be more concerned about the injury. Rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories are going to be your best bet, IMO. When you do start back to using it, be sure to warm it up very good before starting on heavy weights.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

I suffered a pec tear last year (May). I took 4 weeks off completely, 6 months off from benching and meanwhile focused on overhead presses (for shoulder and tricep strength). Started back in November and am almost back at where I was when I got injured, but this time benching with a narrow grip! So take your time and don't push your luck. Have patience and you will lift longer and heavier.

M-Tiz46
    Alright guys. Thanks for the advice.
    Height:5'8
    Weight:168
    Bench:280X1
    Deadlift:400X1
    Squat:365X1

"We must either find a way or make one"-Seneca