Thread: Tobbacco's effect on muscle growth and strength

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas

Tobbacco's effect on muscle growth and strength

Is there any adverse affects of tobbacco usage on muscle growth and strength. i know smoking caues breathing problems and problems in the air way, but what about smokeles stuff, like chew or snuff.

i was just wondering because someone told me that it wasnt good for strenght and working out but i can see no way that it actually affects it. im an avid dipper, and i have no problem if i take a dip before, after, or even occasionally while i work out ive really nopticed nothing and i keep getting stronger and stronger.

anybody know of anybad side effects on training and smokeless tobbacco usage?
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I used to dip all the time. I just didnt like the blood pumping hard and the nicotine flowing around, just didn't agree with me. I tried it again after lifitng for a while, and i got sick. Personal thing i guess. But I'm sure the chemicals can't be good.
    "Color outside the lines"

Nicotene is a stimulant, like Caffeine.
    So in that regard, I doubt it should be significantly adverse.

Nicotine IS a stimulant, it's also pretty different from caffeine, it's an acetylcholine agonist, whereas caffeine is an adenosine antagonist, both are stimulants but the method of action is pretty dissimilar.
    Nicotine also promotes fluid retention, and REDUCES muscle tone.
    So yeah, I'd say that is a bad thing.

I think tobacco makes you lose weight, I'm not too sure about the looks from tobacco. I know it is bad, because when you start cutting you need endurance, and after 2 reps you'll be huffing and puffing with 5 lb. weights lol

i remeber reading in my nutitrition class that nicotine released hormones from the adrenal gland, so i alway threw in a lip after i lifted...but i dont know what other negative effects beside constricting your blood vessals slowing blood flow.

chew can give you mouth cancer. scary stuff

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    hmm losing weight? hell naw not for me if anything ive put on my usual 10 pounds in the offseason, and my appetite is the same, and it never affected my breathing when we ran wind sprints during the football season , was still tired..lol
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Mechanisms of Nicotine Addiction

In developed countries, it is estimated that tobacco use is the leading single cause of premature death (63). The irony of this statistic is that in developed countries, we are constantly being badgered about the dangers of tobacco use. In the end, the rewarding characteristics that tobacco and nicotine exert upon our neurochemistry are enough to overpower any voice of reason. So what's going on here?

Enhancement of dopaminergic activity is considered the universal trademark shared by addictive drugs. When dopamine transmission is impaired, animals will no longer self-administer addictive drugs, including nicotine (64). As we've already discussed, nicotine not only causes dopamine release but also increases the concentration of various dopamine receptors and induces glutamate release, sensitizing the dopaminergic response overtime. Add functional upregulation to the mix, and not only is the dopaminergic response to nicotine robust, it only gets better with continued use.

Putting dopamine aside for a minute, often overlooked is the role of serotonin in drug addiction. Serotonin is intimately involved with our ability to feel satiated as well as control impulsive behavior. Depletion of serotonin levels causes an increase in impulsive behavior as well as a tendency to prefer small immediate rewards to larger delayed rewards (65). It is hypothesized that nicotine may cause a shift in the "balance of power" by increasing dopamine function while simultaneously decreasing serotonin function (66). This hypothesis is supported by the observation that in the frontocortio and limbic areas of the brain, chronic nicotine exposure causes increased dopamine and reduced serotonin levels (67).

Related to impulsive behavior are nicotine's effects on the GABA system, which could theoretically lead to behavioral disinhibition, similar to alcohol. In context, "behavioral disinhibition" means that even when we know we shouldn't smoke, we reach for the cigarette anyway. The bottom line is that nicotine is so addictive not only because it effectively activates the reward centers of our brain (dopamine), it also partially impairs our decision-making ability through its actions on 5-HT and GABA.

Because the dynamics of nicotine addiction span across more than one receptor system, treatment for nicotine addiction should be just as complex. Despite the fact that SSRI's by themselves do little to aid in smoking cessation (80), there is some evidence that they might be of benefit when used in conjunction with transdermal nicotine (81). Thus, a complete "shotgun approach" to quitting nicotine (in whatever form) would include the use of proven effective dopaminergics such as bupropion and/or deprenyl (82,83) along with an SSRI.

Conclusions

Given Nicotine's pharmacology, it appears to be most useful during periods of intense dieting. By enhancing the actions of dopamine, serotonin and leptin, as well as partially inhibiting the actions of neuropeptide Y, nicotine can partially deceive the body into thinking it is fed-thereby decreasing appetite, mobilizing fat, and preserving lean body mass-even in the presence of a calorie deficit.

So, how would one ideally use nicotine while dieting? From our review of the literature, we know that higher doses are more effective than lower doses at regulating various factors such as neuropeptide Y (47). However, given that these values are based on mg/kg in rats, establishing conversion rates for optimal human usage is a little tricky. Nonetheless, if we return to our original observation that smokers generally weigh less than non-smokers, and suppose that a "smoker" uses approximately 20mg of nicotine a day (about 20 cigarettes, one pack), we can conclude that 20mg might be an appropriate dosage.

It should also be noted that there are a number of other compounds that might compliment a nicotine regimen. Already mentioned has been deprenyl (5-10mg a day), the use of which is aimed at potentiatiating dopaminergic activity. Similarly, caffeine can sensitize the dopaminergic response to nicotine (61). Because nicotine upregulates tyrosine hydroxylase while concurrently inducing catecholamine release, supplementing with L-tyrosine would ensure ample substrates for neurotransmitter formation. Finally, Spook suggested the addition of calcium supplements, as nicotine induces the release of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), which can deplete intracellular calcium stores (62).
    1. Zevin S, Gourlay S, Benowitz N. Clinical Pharmacology of Nicotine. 1998;16:557-564.
    2. Domino E. Tobaco Smoking And Nicotine Neuropsychopharmacology: Some Future Research Directions. Neuropsychopharmacology. 1998;16(8):456-68.
    3. Balfour D, Fagerstrom K. Pharmacology of Nicotine and Its Therapeutic Use in Smoking Cessation and Neurodegernerative Disorders. Pharmacol. Ther. 1996;72(1):51-81
    4. Gotti C, Fornasari D, Clementi F. Human neuronal nicotinic receptors. Prog Neurobiol 1997; 53: 199-237.

Are these people actually advising the use of nicotine supplementation?

by "nicotine supplementation" do you mean you mean smoking

sounds like a fun sup
    Last edited by Spartacus; 03-21-2004 at 02:00 AM.

Worst idea EVER.

There are a number of people who suggest nicotine gum as a part of a dieting supplementation regimen.

I wouldn't, because of the addictive nature of nicotine.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that nicotine had an adverse effect on some muscle building property, but I don't remember what it was. Regardless, the health risks associated with tobacco use certainly should be enough to keep you from doing it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I believe it has something to do with messing up the nerves going from your muscles to your brain, or something along those lines.

MACHINE
    Nicotine reduces your ability to digest/metabolize certain nutrients. I simultaneously stopped smoking the 2-3 cigarettes per day I was used to and started bulking and my god, the weight came fast.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560