Thread: Can you do too much cardio?

Banned

Can you do too much cardio?

im really trying to get rid of this little layer of fat covering my abs up.....i can see them starting to come in now and now i want to kick things into overdrive

so i want to get on the exercise bike at least 6 times a week for at least 30 minutes...i mean there isnt any harm in doing that right?

some will say you'll lose muscle.

Earlier this year, I lost a lot of fat jogging for an hour every day. I didn't notice any reductions in strength. My actual muscle mass may have gone down, but I have no idea... which means it couldn't have been that much.

I've been on WBB routine 1 for weeks now, instead of running every day. I haven't lost or gained any weight, but I'm getting a lot stronger and my bf % has gone down a bit. My abs aren't showing yet though, and I'm in the same boat as you. Its just a little, stubborn layer of fat.
    Last edited by Decent; 03-22-2004 at 07:25 PM.

Banned
    i think i have reallly good gentics when it comes to building muscle....when i was younger i took weight gain and i wasx getting huge, a little too huge so thats why i have to cut now...

so what im trying to say is, i really dont mind losing a little muscle if that what this causes....i know that i can get that muscle right back..i just want abs dammit!
    Last edited by Focused; 03-22-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    You can do too much cardio, yes. Going overboard with your cardio program will result in muscle loss, increased fatigue & slower recovery times. 6 times a week for 30 minutes is not too much. The key to success when increasing your cardio for fat loss is to do more but at the same time increase your calories.

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by Decent
    some will say you'll lose muscle.

Earlier this year, I lost a lot of fat jogging for an hour every day. I didn't notice any reductions in strength. My actual muscle mass may have gone down, but I have no idea... which means it couldn't have been that much.

If you keep your calories up and remain lifting than your strength shouldn't really decrease. ...if you go running for an hour and then lift of course you'll be exhausted and not able to lift as much.

Many say that at a certain point, long distance running becomes catabolic and begins to eat away at your muscle tissue. I don't really know where I stand on this issue. Obviously marathoners are small and probably can't put on weight/muscle due to the amount of calories they burn, but I run long distance and in season I don't physically lose strength...i'm not sure if I'm lost muscle mass, however since I'm overally concerned about my arms being long and dangley I measure them from time to time and the numbers while in season and out of season are very close if not the same.