The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Steroids and Powerlifting

Is this an issue? It's obvious that in BB it's rampant and the testing is a joke, (like the MLB and NFL). How strict are PL'ing federations when it comes to testing?
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This depends on the federation. Some are quite strict, others do not test at all. Even the ones that claim to be strict are going to vary from affiliate to affiliate. I don't think there is any organization that could claim that they are 100% drug free.

My personal experience is with the CPU which is an affiliate of the IPF. I know for a fact that if all sample collections went by the book, as ours did for that comp, there is no way that any "sample switching" could occur. Of course, that may not be true depending on who runs things and who collects the samples, etc.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Don't tell me you are thinking of running a cycle of Test for your wife to get an edge in that bench comp!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

LOL! No, but some of the women I've seen competing sure like like they are on the juice.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Just wondering how much of a problem, well not a problem, but how much of an affect drug use has on PL'ing. It's impressive to see all the records being set, but how much of it is due to drug use.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

newb
    Just out of curiousity, how long does it stay in your system? Im just wondering cause if its not very long than testing at the comp itself doesnt really mean much right?

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Look at it this way, if you went to a bodybuilding competition, you could accurately guess that 80% of the competitors were using steroids. The same can be said for powerlifting. Testing is a joke. But like bodybuilding, steroids are just a tool of the trade.

Ok well that would make sense. I guess you have to be a little naive to think that it would be clean. Some of the women are pretty damn scary and don't look much different than the femal BB'ers some times. It's a shame really but as you said, part of the trade.
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

From a European (IPF) perspective I can tell you that most competitive lifters I know or have known use(d) roids. Some (even some very good ones) don't. The testing at international level is quite strict, but given that very little out-of-competition testing occurs, it is easy to beat. The countries that do have o-o-c testing usually perform very poorly on the international stage (Holland being one of them).

As for the ethical aspect of it: I have no problem with lifters using steroids as they were meant to be used, i.e., for recovering after an injury. However, as the difference between valid and illicit use is hard to determine, it would probably be best to either get rid of them completely or fully legalise them. And seeing as the athletes are always one step ahead, legalisation would be the more practical choice.

Virtually every top level powerlifter uses steroids. Period.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Define top level.